GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we have a good idea of what is coming in the Pontiac G6. I'm just hoping it's much more than a Malibu with nicer sheetmetal and a Supercharger.

What MUST the G6 have for you to even consider it? :zippy:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its a toss up between the SC V6 and AWD. Both would be an awesome package. But, AWD would get me for winter & hanging the @$$ out, even with the 3500 from the Malibu.

·
Registered
396 Posts
hey, am i the only one who voted for the NASCAR inspired exhuast note and fake hood scopes? i'm sad now :(

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I chose AWD, 'cause 3.9 is going to be avaible as an option, right?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 23 2003, 02:52 PM
hey, am i the only one who voted for the NASCAR inspired exhuast note and fake hood scopes? i'm sad now :(
Nothing says "Pontiac, We build Excitement" like non-functional hood scoops. (This quote brought to you by Ron Zarella) :p

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I voted manual tranny. The Grand Prix could contend with the 3 series and Accord a bit more if it offered one. The Grand Am could compete better with the Stratus R/T, Accord Coupe if it had the stick. Unfortunately, GM likes to do things their way, and not how everyone else does it... which suits the public more than GM can.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Definately Manual transmission, and better interior materials.
:type:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by monger@Nov 28 2003, 07:59 AM
Definately Manual transmission, and better interior materials.
:type:
What manual transmission from what other GM car would be compatible with the 3.5L engine?

The Grand Am only had a manual for the 4-cyl. , right?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I believe the bolt patterns are the same. The Getrag or the ones used in the Saabs should handle the power, too, I think. Saab has a 6spd too, I believe.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A FRIGGIN MANUAL, I wont buy a sissy automatic.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Dec 2 2003, 04:45 AM
A FRIGGIN MANUAL, I wont buy a sissy automatic.
I guess you won't be buying the G6. I still haven't heard any info about a manual, at least for the 3.5L engine.

I have read that eventually they will release a 4-cylinder version (G4? :p ) and that should have a manual option.

Since this "Sport Van" debacle, I've learned to expect very little from GM North America, unless it's a Cadillac or a Saturn Redline.

This is what I predict will emerge:

- 3.5L naturally aspirated and supercharged to slot under horses/torque of Grand Prix GTP.
- 4-speed auto with TAP Shift on "GT" or "GXP" model
- A nice interior and exterior
- A rockin' stereo
- A lot of marketing hype for what will be a Malibu with a Supercharger option

Promises likely not to be kept:
- No all-wheel-drive option
- No VVT or DOD...yet
- Manual transmission (well, I don't think this was ever promised)
- No 3.9L VVT engine, at least not yet - maybe in a GXP?
- No 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission - just ye olde moldy 4

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Dec 2 2003, 03:50 PM
I've learned to expect very little from GM North America, unless it's a Cadillac or a Saturn Redline.
now that's some funny **** :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
there wont be a 4cyl in the G6, and it will have the 3.9L engine at production and there will not be a GXP model slated within 3 yrs of its introduction, the G6 will have only v6 engines available because pontiac will be changing the names of all their cars the grand prix will become the G8 while the sunfire will become the G4

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by waffler@Dec 3 2003, 04:58 PM
there wont be a 4cyl in the G6, and it will have the 3.9L engine at production and there will not be a GXP model slated within 3 yrs of its introduction, the G6 will have only v6 engines available because pontiac will be changing the names of all their cars the grand prix will become the G8 while the sunfire will become the G4
DUDE! You have the SCOOP! :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/show4_20031204.htm

Check it and weep for joy. :D :wub:

The Cobalt compact coupe and sedan, which replace the aging and uncompetitive Cavalier. GM executives say the new cars are better equipped and more stylish because the Korean-built Aveo will now anchor the bottom of Chevrolet's lineup.

Pontiac will unveil the midsize G6, which replaces the Grand Am for the 2005 model year. The G6 shares its basic engineering with the Saab 9-3 and Chevy Malibu, and Pontiac promises a range of models including a high-performance all-wheel-drive version and a hardtop convertible. The sedan and coupe models should debut at the Detroit show.

3 words:

Coupe
Convertible
All-wheel-drive!

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Convertible Hardtop" - once meant a fixed roof with no b-pillar (or was that "hardtop convertible?")...does it mean a b-pillarless coupe or a real convertible with a folding metal roof ala SLK or SC430?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts