GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a totaled 2008 (I think) G6 with power pedals and steering wheel radio controls. I also have a 2007 Saturn Aura that does not have either.

I want to move the steering wheel radio controls from the totaled G6 to the 2007 Aura. It looks like the controls themselves are the same part - I should have no problem putting that in.

My question is: what all do I have to change over to my Saturn Aura? Will I need to move over any wiring, switch out a wiring harness, swap radios?

Also, what is involved in installed a factory GM remote start option? Is it just a matter of intalling an extra module or something, and buying and programming new keyless remotes??

Thanks in advance!
-Dave

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Despite the wheel controls and such looking the same, the Aura/Malibu actually have some different electronics controlling everything than the older G6 does--looking at the radio/DIC setups is a perfect example of that.

As said, don't bother. Though things may fit on the surface, they won't just plug in and work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do I need a hood switch for?

Is the radio in my Aura the same one that's in the G6 with steering wheel radio controls? Seems like that's a huge part of it right there.

My past experience working in a salvage yard is that even though all carsdo not have all of the options, they are wired for most of them. A perfect example is power seats. A lot of cars don't have power seats, but many of them have the wiring in place to put power seats in. May be this has started to go away recently as companies tighten their belts?

You would also need a hood switch and wiring, not worth the effort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a little time this morning so I pulled the airbag to look at the wiring in the steering wheel. There are two harness plugs - one for the airbag and one for the accessories (cruise and radio controls.) The harness had about 9 wire spots on it and only 5 or 6 wires connected, and they ran to cruise control. The other 4 holes of the connector were empty, and probably intended for the radio controls.

I am going to call a Saturn dealer tomorrow and see how many clock springs are available for the car. If there are multiple clock springs that fit my model and year, I assume one will be for cars with radio controls and one will be without. At that point I will probably scrap the project. (I don't think I want to pull the clock spring off the donor car.)

If there is only one clock spring available, I will assume that the my clock spring has the extra circuits for the radio controls and I will continue. I will just pull the steering wheel harness off the donor car with the steering wheel controls. Between the steering wheel column and the radio, I will either make my own harness or poach one from the donor car as well.

Anybody know if there is a special radio for cars with steering wheel radio controls, or will mine work?

Thanks! -Dave

Hi guys,

I have a totaled 2008 (I think) G6 with power pedals and steering wheel radio controls. I also have a 2007 Saturn Aura that does not have either.

I want to move the steering wheel radio controls from the totaled G6 to the 2007 Aura. It looks like the controls themselves are the same part - I should have no problem putting that in.

My question is: what all do I have to change over to my Saturn Aura? Will I need to move over any wiring, switch out a wiring harness, swap radios?

Thanks in advance!
-Dave

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The radios and driver information centers are COMPLETELY different. The G6 still uses the older radio setup that the '04-07 Malibu also had, with the Driver Information Center built into the radio itself and not in the gauge cluster like the newer Aura/Malibu. Those radios then, such as Aura/Malibu to G6 are not cross compatible, or at least I don't believe they are.

You're putting a lot of good effort into figuring it out...but the cars, despite sharing platforms, have unique wiring systems in various ways. Or maybe there is some compatibility...I just wouldn't bet on it given the pretty obvious interior differences on the surface.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, thanks for the input. I think the donor car is a 2008 G6 - maybe it will have some of the newer technology used in the Aura. The radios look identical, however I know that goesn't guarantee anything.

I guess I'll pull the radios sometime this week to see if the plugs on the rear are the same. Think that would put me in the clear?

Thanks, -Dave

The radios and driver information centers are COMPLETELY different. The G6 still uses the older radio setup that the '04-07 Malibu also had, with the Driver Information Center built into the radio itself and not in the gauge cluster like the newer Aura/Malibu. Those radios then, such as Aura/Malibu to G6 are not cross compatible, or at least I don't believe they are.

You're putting a lot of good effort into figuring it out...but the cars, despite sharing platforms, have unique wiring systems in various ways. Or maybe there is some compatibility...I just wouldn't bet on it given the pretty obvious interior differences on the surface.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the dealership parts counter yesterday and there is only one clock spring for the 2007 Aura, which means the clock spring has to be wired with the extra circuits for the steering wheel controls. That is a very good thing. Maybe I'll have time to check out the wiring in the donor G6 later this week.

Sometimes people say that this is too much work and not worth it, but I already have a donor car for the parts and I really hate taking my eyes off the road any longer than I have to. The traffic down here on the DC beltway and the 267 VA toll road looks like the nextel cup during a caution lap. Everyone's going 70mph a car length apart, only it's 3-4 lanes across instead of two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of you involved in this forum seem to be real familiar with the G6 steering wheel.

These are questions about the G6 Steering wheel wiring harness and clock spring.

I was planning on adding an after market cruise control to my daughter's G6. As I resaerched the modifiction I came to understand that the car's computer is probably already cruse control ready as the after market kit did not requirere programming the computer, just a console/underdash electronics module that plugs into car wiring harness, a switch assembly (SET/CANCEL/ACCEl) added to the steering wheel that transmits commands to the new under-dash electronics module.

This made me think that perhaps the steering column already has the wiring in place and possibly from the colum to the computer as well. I find only one harness part number shown for under the horn/airbbag steering wheel cover. Different part numbers for the left and right control covers whether they have radio controls and cruise control switches and /or wood grain.

Can any one help me confirm that all I need to do is buy the radio and cruise switches, plug them into the existing steering wheel harness and buy the proper switch covers for steering wheel controls?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts