GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that GM is revitalizing the brand, I thought that I should get some feedback.

Before 2003, Pontiac built some crazy vehicles. The Grand AM and Grand Prix were looking old; sports cars didn't exist (Come in GTO); and ugly cars like Aztec were along. All of this added to a major decrease in Pontiac's sales. So, GM picked up the brand and tried it again. They introduced the Vibe, which I think really started this new Pontiac. Grand Prix was looking better than ever once redesigned for 2004, and I can't forget the new definition in muscle, the 2004 GTO. All of these cars are adding to this car companies' revitalization. I heard a comment about Pontiac being BMW. Yeah, I could see that within the next few years. I mean, the G6 finally proves real competition to Honda Accord. It will appeal to the import buyers.

Pontiac, though, still has a long way to go. Several models need redesigning, and certain markets need to come to Pontiac. A Cobalt-based Pursuit type Sunfire-replacement would do very good. We really need one that can pack out the punch. A crossover (sport wagon, whatever) should replace the beastly Aztec. And another, sports car at the high end (most likely a supercharged GTO) will be a great addition.

You can't just focus on the models: marketing is the whole step.
We need some 'motto' that's going to bring Pontiac back....suggestions cough suggestions. Something like 'Fuel for the Soul' except showing that the brand is finally changing. You have to think, 'Well, how in the world are we going to attract the import buyers?'. Marketing is part of that objects. Commercials showing G6, GTO, Grand Prix, Montana SV6, Solstice, Vibe, the crossover, and others (excluding Sunfire & Aztec) would be a great commercial, getting a catchy solemn tune.

New names would be a strategy. Don't continue to use 'Aztec' when you know it has brought a bad reputation for the brand, and if Sunfire doesn't work anymore dump it! Just like Buick: who wants to buy a Buick Century that's priced to compete with a Lexus. I don't care how nice and cheap it is!!!

So, Pontiac might finally be ready to bring 'excitement' and 'fuel for the soul' but how do we make sure? Any takers...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I think that Pontiac eventually will live up to the "Fuel for the Soul" moniker, but not just yet. They have fast cars (GTO, Grand Prix, Bonneville, and Vibe), but some of their new products coming out seem pretty BLAH. The G6 is cool, but offering it with only a 200HP engine initially? Come one, bring the 245HP V6 at launch!!! Also, the SV6 comes with one of the weakest engines in its class, while the nonperformance-oriented minivans like the Odyssey, Quest, and Sienna offer about 30+ more HP. Not good, and even the SV6's torque rating is lower! Imagine hauling the kids and groceries and trying to accelerate quickly onto the freeway...the engine might be strained out too quickly. My advice is to bring in the 3.6L VVT or the 3.9L OHV VVT for the higher-line models.

As for Pontiac being BMW??? NO WAY!

BMW is WAY more prestigious and in a different price range. Compare a 3-series interior with a G6...no competition the 3-series is better. Plus, BMW costs way more and offers luxury features which, well, classify it as a luxury car. Pontiac should just target Mazda, which is doing pretty well with their new cars.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Agreed on the Pontiac vs BMW is not a good fight, but who knows in a few years right? If you told me 8 years ago that Caddy would be coming out with a Corvette roadster, an SUV line up that would be every rappers dream, and a small sedan that sold well, I wouldnt belive you. But cars like the GTO can easily be compared to the 3 series, more along the lines of the M3. Similar performance and handling. Im sure they can make cars with massive performance over the rest of the brand.

But can Pontiac live up to the Fuel for the Soul? Hell yes it can. GXP models are a great step up to the plate. I think this should happen
-Kappa based Solstice. 2.4 standard, turbo 2.0 making 250hp in GXP.
-Delta based Pursuit or whatever in a 2d coupe, 3dr hatch or 5dr hatch to replace the Vibe. Standard engine is the 2.2 standard, 2.4 for a GT model, and a turbo 2.0 making 240hp for GXP models.
-Epsilion G6 is great and looks to fit the bill for mid sized car champ. Should be able to outpower the Accord, but interior shots of the G6 might show its weakness.
-Mid sized 4dr RWD Grand Prix. 3.9 250hp is standard, 310hp 3.9 supercharged for the GT model, 320hp 5.3 aluminm V8 for GXP. AWD is a possiblity.
-Mid sized coupe RWD GTO. Sister car to the GP with different appearance. Standard GTO gets a 390hp LS2 with option of 6spd auto or manual. Performance model gets a supercharged, 421hp LS2. Priced along the lines of M3.
-Large sedan RWD/AWD Bonnie. Uses the 260hp 3.6 VVT as base witha supercharged 330hp version in the GT. GXP uses the AWD, and Has a 400hp LS2.
-Large Crossover wagon RWD/AWD using the same WB of the Bonnie. Same powertrain also. Higher ground clearnance, more agressive face on the XUV.

Thats just me, but I think its a good lineup.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Pontiac can work with what it has, such as the G6, but it NEEDS to be more than a Malibu with a sporty face. I agree, it needs the 3.9L at launch. It needs a coupe at launch.

Heck, it needs AWD available AT LAUNCH. :angry:

No more mechanical twins to Chevy vehicles allowed.

More TURBOS. Remember the Turbo Trans Am? The Turbo Sunbird? What happened? When did Pontiac decide that it was OK to sell ribbed up Chevies? The G6 at launch may not be ribbed up, but from what I can tell it is pretty darn similar to the Malibu. In fact, isn't it even stretched a bit, perhaps making it HEAVIER, with the same 200hp engine? So wrong....

Pontiac needs a few signature power goodies like turbochargers, exclusive engines (like the 3.9L) on all of its models. No mechanical clones should be allowed, unless of course, they are part of a lineup -- but at launch the customers and reviewers shoudn't be able to compare a G6 to a Malibu and see the same specs.

I have high hopes for Pontiac, I just don't think they are taking what should be their main target -- the youth market -- seriously. I mean, the Vibe is great and all, and you can get it with AWD and a high performance engine. Even a dealer installed supercharger. But you can't get a supercharger or a performance engine WITH AWD??!!?? :argue:

Pontiac's Solstice is perfect. I just want to see all new Pontiac models take the design and engineering philosophy of the Solstice and work from it.

Kill the "value" engines and 4-speed automatic transmissions - they just aren't exciting, young, or "techy" enough, and don't fit the image. In fact, they only serve to tarnish the image, even as they seek to improve sales.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Mar 26 2004, 09:34 PM
Pontiac can work with what it has, such as the G6, but it NEEDS to be more than a Malibu with a sporty face. I agree, it needs the 3.9L at launch. It needs a coupe at launch.

Heck, it needs AWD available AT LAUNCH. :angry:

More TURBOS. Remember the Turbo Trans Am? The Turbo Sunbird? What happened? When did Pontiac decide that it was OK to sell ribbed up Chevies? The G6 at launch may not be ribbed up, but from what I can tell it is pretty darn similar to the Malibu. In fact, isn't it even stretched a bit, perhaps making it HEAVIER, with the same 200hp engine? So wrong....

Pontiac needs a few signature power goodies like turbochargers, exclusive engines (like the 3.9L) on all of its models. No mechanical clones should be allowed, unless of course, they are part of a lineup -- but at launch the customers and reviewers shoudn't be able to compare a G6 to a Malibu and see the same specs.

I have high hopes for Pontiac, I just don't think they are taking what should be their main target -- the youth market -- seriously. I mean, the Vibe is great and all, and you can get it with AWD and a high performance engine. Even a dealer installed supercharger. But you can't get a supercharger or a performance engine WITH AWD??!!?? :argue:

Pontiac's Solstice is perfect. I just want to see all new Pontiac models take the design and engineering philosophy of the Solstice and work from it.

Kill the "value" engines and 4-speed automatic transmissions - they just aren't exciting, young, or "techy" enough, and don't fit the image. In fact, they only serve to tarnish the image, even as they seek to improve sales.
I agree whole-heartedly!! B)

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by fuel4soul+Mar 27 2004, 12:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fuel4soul @ Mar 27 2004, 12:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Mar 26 2004, 09:34 PM
Pontiac can work with what it has, such as the G6, but it NEEDS to be more than a Malibu with a sporty face.  I agree, it needs the 3.9L at launch.  It needs a coupe at launch.

Heck, it needs AWD available AT LAUNCH.  :angry:

More TURBOS.  Remember the Turbo Trans Am?  The Turbo Sunbird?  What happened?  When did Pontiac decide that it was OK to sell ribbed up Chevies?  The G6 at launch may not be ribbed up, but from what I can tell it is pretty darn similar to the Malibu.  In fact, isn't it even stretched a bit, perhaps making it HEAVIER, with the same 200hp engine?  So wrong....

Pontiac needs a few signature power goodies like turbochargers, exclusive engines (like the 3.9L) on all of its models.  No mechanical clones should be allowed, unless of course, they are part of a lineup -- but at launch the customers and reviewers shoudn't be able to compare a G6 to a Malibu and see the same specs.

I have high hopes for Pontiac, I just don't think they are taking what should be their main target -- the youth market -- seriously.  I mean, the Vibe is great and all, and you can get it with AWD and a high performance engine.  Even a dealer installed supercharger.  But you can't get a supercharger or a performance engine WITH AWD??!!??  :argue:

Pontiac's Solstice is perfect.  I just want to see all new Pontiac models take the design and engineering philosophy of the Solstice and work from it.

Kill the "value" engines and 4-speed automatic transmissions - they just aren't exciting, young, or "techy" enough, and don't fit the image.  In fact, they only serve to tarnish the image, even as they seek to improve sales.
I agree whole-heartedly!! B) [/b][/quote]
Same here!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the proper way to say it, ming.
If we want 'Pontiac' to live up to its name, it can't have the image of being ribbed up Chevy's. We need to fight this to the long way!

·
Registered
14 Posts
A long ways to go is true but at least they're starting to live up to their old "excitement" motto again.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Pontiac is going down the right road. It will never directly compete with BMW but will be an lower priced alternative. There are some great ideas and Turbos are a great and easy way to boost numbers. More RWD and Pontiac will be even better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts