GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is like the largest drawing I've made(though I scaled it down to prevent it from taking up too much screen), and the one I spent most time on. Still not perfect and have problems here and there, and the perspective problems still remains, that makes the car a bit crooked in a way, but I tried to put in as much tips I got from people here into this drawing. I hope you like it. I tried to clean it up as much I could as well.

Loosely based the front-end to the 78 Firebird, and the rest to the last generation WS6 Firebird.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way man, but I have not like any one of your drawings. Im sorry, I finally had to get that out. Im not claiming to be better or even have better taste than you, but when I look at any of your drawings all I see is the bad-ole-days of Pontiac when they were making those ugly cars in the 80s. Again, I am not trying to attack you, I just wanted to put in my two cents, as insulting as it may come off.

Its just that your designs seem to look like the Grand Prix or the Fiero of the 80s, and those are just the cars that I think have done nothing but tainted Pontiacs and GMs reputation for making good cars. In fact, it was cars like those, including others like the K-car and Tempo, that have given American cars the rep for not caring about design and comes off as trashy. GM is just recently pulling itself out of the muck and finally becoming world class again...cars like what you have been drawing would just be another Aztek in GM's side.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way man, but I have not like any one of your drawings. Im sorry, I finally had to get that out. Im not claiming to be better or even have better taste than you, but when I look at any of your drawings all I see is the bad-ole-days of Pontiac when they were making those ugly cars in the 80s. Again, I am not trying to attack you, I just wanted to put in my two cents, as insulting as it may come off.

Its just that your designs seem to look like the Grand Prix or the Fiero of the 80s, and those are just the cars that I think have done nothing but tainted Pontiacs and GMs reputation for making good cars. In fact, it was cars like those, including others like the K-car and Tempo, that have given American cars the rep for not caring about design and comes off as trashy. GM is just recently pulling itself out of the muck and finally becoming world class again...cars like what you have been drawing would just be another Aztek in GM's side.

Hey man, don't hold back, tell him what you really think.

Hey GrandPrix, I told you before in PMs, your drawings look like mine did (many) years ago.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know I suck, but at least, I am happy to say, I have learned a lot thanx to all of you great people with your tips and hints. I will be trying to incorporate all of them on my future drawings.

Thank You all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I know I suck, but at least, I am happy to say, I have learned a lot thanx to all of you great people with your tips and hints. I will be trying to incorporate all of them on my future drawings.

Thank You all.
Yeah, hey man, I am by no means telling you to give up. When it comes to art, practice is really the best teacher. I am in college right now, earning my bachelors in fine art, so take if from me that there is no substitute for practice practice practice. I wish I could offer some helpful criticism, but to tell you the truth, despite being a fine art major I have never been very good at giving tips about how one could improve. I dont even have that much experince with drawing or painting mechanical things...I tend to lean more torwards classicism. And as far as my disagreement with your styling, I just have my own taste I guess.

Good luck though, if you are serious about this stuff you should really consider taking a class, or just picking up a book on the principles of car design. Principles are VERY important when it comes to mechanical drawing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just keep drawing, ^^^ this has been pretty harsh, but take it in your stride, bangle gets wrecked by critics and he gets up in the morning just fine... don't take Jmacs comments to heart but respect his opinion and criticism... (i really dont need to tell u all this as u would know it already).... but my advise (despit my flaws in the drawing area) is along with the fact that you should keep drawing, look at the other guys pics, look at CGI and photos see what sticks out on what angle... pick the cars you like and steal little bits, every now and then draw something entirely off the wall (not on the wall ur wife/family will go nuts), try tracing a car from a magazine.. and then when you have a solid outline and wheels etc rub bits out and change them.. will help with to set the perspective.
Your proportions are good and you have cool ideas, please keep going, and don't think you suck 'cause thats a load of..... lama spit (??). If you ever need tips encourage people on here there are some awesome artists on this site that we should be inspired by.

Sorry abut the ranting... but that's just my take on things

1 - 7 of 7 Posts