GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I miss the Fiero. I owned one so many years ago I don't even remember what year it was. And I only had it for a few weeks. I loved the styling.. I still think GM should build a fun car like it.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I miss mine too. :( It was a fun car. I'm surprised I didn't kill myself in it, I had a habit of finding little windy backroads to drive fast down. :D

BTW, I'm gonna mention it here since this person probably got it from this thread: if you own this site could you at least credit me with my photo?
http://www.gt.ppdictionary.com/prototype_photos.html

Hey Baja, did you get those from the dvd sold by the Fiero Store? My parents got me that on VHS about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
That red GT with a turbo looks to be pretty cool.

I drove the little v6 fiero years back and it was an amazingly fun car to drive. AT the time I had a midengined turbocharged Lancia Scorpion I enjoyed Fiero GT and marvelled at its race car like driving experience and low cost of ownership but its time had come and gone..

Interesting build technique where they built a frame and then screwed all the panels on.. Supposedly it would make doing model changes inexpensive but they never came..

I personally believe the Chevy group had a hard on for the fiero because it really could have been labelled GM"s new sports car..

Chevy made sure it was labelled as a two seat economy car out of the gate...(chevette suspension, iron duke motor etc)

Remember GM would never allow chevy to do the mid engine corvette it had been showing for over two decades before the fiero came out...and here was pontiac making it happen.....

Internal politics as well as outside pressure from the fire nonsense killed it.

At the time...its 135hp V6 was a good powerplant.. although many are right...the quad four would have better suited the fiero GT with I believe almost 200hp stock..

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Chevy made sure it was labelled as a two seat economy car out of the gate...(chevette suspension, iron duke motor etc)

Well, no, Pontiac actually was able to sell it to GM management as a 2 seat, high MPG sporty commuter car, the project was called the TPC, Two Passenger Commuter,which is what the Fiero was. In the late 70's when the car was proposed by Pontiac, GM really didn't need another low volume 2 seat sports car, it had no trouble selling Corvettes, in fact 1979 was the Corvettes best year ever, but what GM did need was more high MPG small cars to help with the upcoming CAFE regs.

Everyone seems to have delusions of grandeur about the Fiero being some sort of Corvette killer that Chevy squashed, the Fiero used Chevette and X-car parts because it was supposed to be a cheap car, the first 1984 base Fieros were like $7900. Later Pontiac started tweaking the car to get more performance out of it, and the V6 engine was added for the 2nd year, but really the Fiero was intended to be a cheap, good looking car, like the MR2, CRX, EXP and others that came out at the time.

Remember GM would never allow chevy to do the mid engine corvette it had been showing for over two decades before the fiero came out...and here was pontiac making it happen.....
And rightfully so, even though concepts like the 4 rotor Aerovette, even though they were visually stunning, were not feasible for production, this car was approved in 1977 as the 1980 Corvette.

The problem was that there was no way to design and build the car for any kind of reasonable price and no way to sell it in number that would be profitable for GM, not to mention that although mid engine designs are wonderful for all out performance on the race track, they really do suck for normal street applications, so in 1978 Dave McLellan, Duntovs replacement since 1974, canned the mid-engine Corvette after its 2 big supporters retired, Bill Mitchell and Duntov, and started over with the car that became the 1984 C4 Corvette.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
I remember back in 1984 when the Fiero released how the press went on and on about the fiero having to be created as a 2 seat economy sports car because the chevy crew was very upset.

Thats why the first year fiero was such a slow sports car and had plebian suspension parts..

First year sales were very strong as it was a really sharp looking vehicle. Once that happened GM loosened up the reigns a bit to allow pontiac to further develop this sales success..

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I remember when the Fiero first came around and people thought it looked like a little Ferrari. It's easy to see why it sold so much. I don't see why the Solstice wasn't of a similar formula - looking a little like an exotic car though not extremely fast and simply fun to drive. I'm sure if a new Miata was completely redesigned and looked a little similar to a Lamborghini - everyone would have one.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I always thought the Qaud 4 was slated for use-maybe in 89?

If not, it should have.

Sure a has alot of engine swaps for it though!

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
21 - 33 of 33 Posts