GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT - General Motors today announced that Pontiac would compete in two new motorsports series, each highlighting the new performance prowess of the division's vehicles. In 2004, Pontiac will participate in the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series and the Formula D Drift Series in addition to the division's continuing involvement with both the Pro Stock and Sport Compact classes of the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) series.

"When Pontiac departed from NASCAR competition at the end of the 2003 series, we knew that continued participation in motorsports was a high priority for the division," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "As we were looking at the different racing opportunities, both the Rolex Series and Formula D Drifting stood out as exciting new venues to showcase the power and handling of the new Pontiacs."

Beginning with the prestigious Rolex 24 At Daytona event on January 31-February 1, Pontiac will field three vehicles in the Daytona Prototype class. Using a chassis and suspension system built to very specific standards, the cars are powered by modified Pontiac small-block V-8 engines regulated to 5.5 liters of displacement. The two-valve, naturally aspirated powerplants are variants of the engine used in the new 2004 Pontiac GTO.

Pontiac will power the entries of three experienced teams, including Bell Motorsports with drivers Terry Borcheller, Forest Barber, Christian Fittipaldi and Andy Pilgrim; Spirit of Daytona, driven by Robby Gordon, Stephan Gregorie, Milka Duno and Doug Goad; and SunTrust Racing, driven by Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli and Emmanuel Collard.

"We are very fortunate to have such skilled and enthusiastic teams to help launch Pontiac into the world of Rolex Series racing," said Myers.

While sports car racing in the Rolex Series may be familiar to some, the sport of drifting is relatively new to North America. First developed in Japan, drifting combines extreme driving skill with flair and artistry as drivers negotiate a complicated course at high speeds while in a controlled slide. The competition is judged on execution and style rather than speed, similar to skateboarding and freestyle motorcross.

Top U.S. drifting driver Rhys Millen will pilot a modified 2004 Pontiac GTO in the new Formula Drift Series sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America. In addition to series events that begin in April, Millen will compete in the D1 Championship event in Irwindale, Calif., on February 28.

"The GTO seems almost tailor-made for a sport requiring both pure rear-wheel power and extreme agility," said Myers. "Combine the GTO with perhaps the best drifting driver in the country and it's easy to see why Pontiac is really excited about the possibilities on the Formula Drift circuit in 2004."

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
the cars are powered by modified Pontiac small-block V-8 engines regulated to 5.5 liters of displacement. The two-valve, naturally aspirated powerplants are variants of the engine used in the new 2004 Pontiac GTO.
That's interesting, but I'd rather see some Holden Aussie V8 type Monaro / GTO action in the GT class of LeMans. Prototypes with CORVETTE engines again smack of GM brand engineering.

However the Drifting news with the GTO sounds great. The closer the vehicle is to the showroom car, the more respect Pontiac gets from me, and Drifting should be a good venue for that.

Let's hope we see the GTO at Road America, too.

That "sunfire" fiberglass shell with a tube chassis isn't fooling me, btw... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
drifting!?!?!? :rolleyes: oh well... I can just see the grazy gfx, fart tips, mega wings, cut spirngs, 15 LCD/PS2/Xbox interior... The GTO has gone to the rice.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am sure these series are entertaining and competitive, but this is the reward for winning two out of the last four Winston Cups?

A GTO pace car would have been a laydown impact statement. I guess the moral of the story is: Don't honk off the Chevy contingent in NASCAR because it will get you banned :mf_boff:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Jan 30 2004, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jan 30 2004, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The GTO has gone to the rice.[/b]

Don't EVER put the GTO down to the level of rice.

<!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28
@Jan 30 2004, 08:26 PM
drifting!?!?!?   :rolleyes: oh well... I can just see the grazy gfx, fart tips, mega wings, cut spirngs, 15 LCD/PS2/Xbox interior... [/quote]

Do you even know what drifting is - because you horibly missed the point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
B) I sure hope Pontiac enters The Nextel Cup, sometime down the road. They can,t let the **** be in the cup racing and not Pontiac.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by spdwayGm@Jan 31 2004, 12:45 AM
Japan invented drifting? Full Power slides, RWD and side by side racing? Sounds like World of Outlaws to me...... :drevil:
But outlaws are only going in one direction - left turns.

Drifting is done with both left and right turns - on asphalt - and unlike outlaws - the cars are modified production cars.

BONUS VIDEO!!

THIS is drifting. Now just imagine a GTO doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by GroundedZ+Jan 31 2004, 12:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GroundedZ @ Jan 31 2004, 12:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2004, 08:26 PM
The GTO has gone to the rice.
Don't EVER put the GTO down to the level of rice.

<!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28
@Jan 30 2004, 08:26 PM
drifting!?!?!?   :rolleyes: oh well... I can just see the grazy gfx, fart tips, mega wings, cut spirngs, 15 LCD/PS2/Xbox interior...
Do you even know what drifting is - because you horibly missed the point. [/b][/quote]
Oh yes I did. I am one of the biggest supporters for the GTO, so dont get me wrong I would love to get this car. If I had the money, Id be in the nearest pontiac dealer. But putting the GTO into drifting??? That is the new sport for sport compact freaks. They cant go fast on the 1/4, and they cant get into nascar. They dont have any cars in LeMans... so they created a "sport" of purposely losing control of there car so they can spin teh a$$ end of there car out and do it over and over and over and over again till there tires blow out, suspension caves in, and or car falls apart. I know exactly what Drifiting is. Its about as "sporty" as a burn out contest. Now, dont get me wrong, swinging the rear out when driving on a road course or around town to show your power is pretty sweet, but after 20 mins of it, it gets boring. Ive seen vid with rap music blasting, and people hyping it up.... and I have a video of no music, and you hear is the car going around and around smoking tires, not exactly what I call "cool". I also watched something of teh same thing from these asian guys in Cali with 350z's going around and around. Oh well, Its just a matter of time till you see altezas, gfx, uber-negative wheel camber, cut springs and a system that will rattle out your fillings. Some ahole, backwards hat wearing, saggy jeans 17 year old will get one from his rich dad to show his son that he "loves" him. It happend to the fbodies, it will happen to the GTO. Cant wait to see the sweet new j-spec body kit for the GTO.... fuggin ricers are taking over.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
anyone watching the rolex right now? Pontiac is in first as of 4:17 pm saturday afternoon EST. Race started 1pm EST.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 31 2004, 06:36 AM
Oh yes I did.  I am one of the biggest supporters for the GTO, so dont get me wrong I would love to get this car.  If I had the money, Id be in the nearest pontiac dealer.  But putting the GTO into drifting???  That is the new sport for sport compact freaks.  They cant go fast on the 1/4, and they cant get into nascar.  They dont have any cars in LeMans... so they created a "sport" of purposely losing control of there car so they can spin teh a$$ end of there car out and do it over and over and over and over again till there tires blow out, suspension caves in, and or car falls apart.  I know exactly what Drifiting is.  Its about as "sporty" as a burn out contest.  Now, dont get me wrong, swinging the rear out when driving on a road course or around town to show your power is pretty sweet, but after 20 mins of it, it gets boring.  Ive seen vid with rap music blasting, and people hyping it up.... and I have a video of no music, and you hear is the car going around and around smoking tires, not exactly what I call "cool".  I also watched something of teh same thing from these asian guys in Cali with 350z's going around and around.  Oh well, Its just a matter of time till you see altezas, gfx, uber-negative wheel camber, cut springs and a system that will rattle out your fillings.  Some ahole, backwards hat wearing, saggy jeans 17 year old will get one from his rich dad to show his son that he "loves" him.  It happend to the fbodies, it will happen to the GTO.  Cant wait to see the sweet new j-spec body kit for the GTO.... fuggin ricers are taking over.
I think you are still missing the point.

Ricers love drifting. They like to emulate it. You even mention the "sport compact" connection.

That's where your wrong.

I think what you're doing is making a false connection between Japanese-sourced cars and ricers. Both are completely different arms of the automotive world. Yes - the japanese created drifting - but look at what they are using - 300Z's - Skylines - Sti's etc. All of these cars are AWD or RWD - perfect for drifting.

Ricers (well 96.3% of them) are all driving FWD cars. FWD cannot drift no matter how hard one may try it. Instead of braking into a turn to let the rear-end swing out - ricers pull the emergency brake and also let the rear end swing out.

However - since there's nothing to keep the car moving forward - the front wheels quickly pull the car back in line. What ricers are doing there is FLARING - a far cry from DRIFTING.

So i guess you were half right. Ricers suck at drag racing - nascar and lemans don't have a FWD class - and now (to add more fuel to the fire) they can't drift.

But you were also wrong because you were assuming that all pro-drifters in japan were also ricers.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
No, this is what im talking about.

Ricers look at other imports that are fast like turbo supras, rx7, 300z, skylines, etc, and they want to be like them, hence the wings, far can, stripes, and over all love afair with these cars. It doesnt matter if FWD cars cant drift, the owners of said ricer mobiles will want to be like them and there cars. So far you got me right?

They will see a GTO in this and see it do well. They will start to like it, and then it will become a big part of this Drifting culutre which is popular with ricers. Then, the onslaught of ricer parts will flood the market. clear tail and side markers, insane stickers, dropped to the ground, and all the rest of the ricer mods will go into these cars, because the GTO will get into some kids hands. It doesnt matter that turbo RX7's arent rice, its the people that are fans of drifting tend to be. If you go to one of the drifting competitions that they hold, you will see millions upon millions of civics in the parking lot. Ricers watch drifting, ricers like GTO, GTO gets riced out. On top of that, most camaro, firebird and mustang owners dont like the GTO, so the the tradtional people that want this car are shunning it away because of just its looks and stupid mentality that if it doesnt run 11's from the factory, and doesnt cost 10k, then its not worth it. I hate both ricers and new age muscle car owners. Both have the same exact attitude, and most of them are the same age. I wish that GM and everyone just stopped trying because when they do, its gets shut down, torn apart and called crap.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts

what did I say.... riced out GTO. Graphics, wings, the works.... GTO has gone to the dogs... or the "dawgs."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts