GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many people have noticed, but Pontiac has added about two inches of padding to the 2004 Grand Prix backseat. They started this reportedly on all cars built after September 1st, 2003. This undoubtedly is due to the bashing that the Grand Prix took in the press for having a back seat as comfortable as a park bench. The new backseat has thicker thigh blosters which stop the backseat from folding as flat, though it still will with weight applied. In looking at new cars this week, I was able to test each one of the seats at a dealer, and the new seat is definatly A+++. For those who bought earlier Grand Prix's with the "park bench" back seat, sadly Pontiac will not replacement free of charge. We have heard though that the new cushion and seat cover can be had for $200-$400 depending one where you look and your discount.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,692 Posts
That's cool, thumbs up for GM responding so quickly to criticism, robbing the press of one complaint.

One question though -- my Bonneville has little head space in the back seat, I wonder how the extra padding will affect taller people in the GP?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 13 2004, 10:32 PM
more cussion for the pushin'
I believe the exact line was: "The bigger the cushion, The sweeter the pushin'" :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
I do wish they did add adjustable headrests... <_<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Hey, those freeloaders in the back aren't making payments, let them suffer! If they wanted comfort they should buy their own car! :D

Is it really obvious that I own firebirds???? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
The old back seats should be replaced for free. They are by far the most uncomfortable seats that i have ever sat in. We have a $30,000+ grand prix gtp and no one can sit in the back seat - it's really sad because it is a 4 door! However, the front seats rock!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 14 2004, 03:19 AM
One question though -- my Bonneville has little head space in the back seat, I wonder how the extra padding will affect taller people in the GP?
I'm guessing that those soft 2" of extra padding would comprime when someone's seated, so he won't lose significant head room (for sure not 2", maybe 1/2...).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
I think that's great. It's one of three issues for the backseat of the GP. I know when I sat down in the back, I had the splayed knees thing because the cushions were so low to the floor and my head still almost touched the overhead. Now that the cushion has been adjusted, how about adding the drink holders to the back of the armrest console and maybe an airvent or two. While we're at it put a folding armrest back in the back seat like on the 97-03 models. They don't have to have the passthrough, but an armrest would be nice too. As it is right now the 04 is very sparce compared to the last GP.
Common GM, we all know where you're trying to go with this model and applaud the efforts....just put a little more time and energy into getting it right the first time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,632 Posts
Now if they would re-design the interior along with that back seat Pontiac would have a winner on their hands. I and several others have always agreed that the current interior with the velcro taxi cab style cloth seats and plasticky console and dash was more in touch with GM of the early 90's than most of it's competitors. And the series III 3800 sounds and feels no more refined than before.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by mbaluch8@Feb 14 2004, 05:39 AM
The old back seats should be replaced for free.  They are by far the most uncomfortable seats that i have ever sat in.  We have a $30,000+ grand prix gtp and no one can sit in the back seat - it's really sad because it is a 4 door!  However, the front seats rock!
i guess if they want to look good they would replace them... but if someone was willing to buy the car with seats like that... how is that GM's fault? i guess enough people complained to force the change... but those people exercised their right to not buy the car!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,944 Posts
Sat in the new Grand Prix seats last night and I must say that they were much better than before, nice job and a good hustle from GM and Pontiac, they moved very quickly, unusual for GM.

Sorry that the seats will not be replaced for current GP owners, they should step up to the pump, at leastt they are giving you the choice to upgrade.

Yes, I do agree with others, the Grand Prix does need an armrest for the rear seat and ac vents, at least on the upscale models,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
That explains it! I couldn't figure out why the press complained about the back seat since I thought they were fairly good. Since my Comp G was built at the very end of September I guess that explains why I didn't think they deserved the bad press.

Granted, the Comp G I test drove before I ordered mine would have had the old seats but I didn't notice them as being all that bad either....then again I spent about 30 seconds sitting back there and I didn't really care about the back seat.

Now if I could just get GM to replace the left most leather piece on the seat bottom. It's wrinkled and loose fitting. My dealer said that it's normal wear.... Too bad that when I noticed it the car was about 2 weeks old and no one had even ridden there yet! My driver seat which gets all the use looks great. I hate it when they weasel out like that, but how can I prove it's seen virtually no use!

Also... the thigh bolsters.... Are they noticable larger, because I looked at the interior pics in the Grand Prix literature and just by looking I can't see a difference in the size. Probably something I'd need to see in person to tell a difference?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Feb 15 2004, 09:22 PM
Now if they would re-design the interior along with that back seat Pontiac would have a winner on their hands. I and several others have always agreed that the current interior with the velcro taxi cab style cloth seats and plasticky console and dash was more in touch with GM of the early 90's than most of it's competitors. And the series III 3800 sounds and feels no more refined than before.
Odd, everyone who has seen my new GTP says how great the interior looks. Find me an interior with no Plastic...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
Originally posted by Branden@Feb 18 2004, 08:42 PM

Odd, everyone who has seen my new GTP says how great the interior looks. Find me an interior with no Plastic...
I agree. I think it's a very nice looking interior. The passenger side of the dash may be improved with a strip of that metallic-look trim as is by the shifter and on the steering wheel (kind of like the passenger side of the Cobalt SS), but that's not saying it's bad as is. Has anyone taken a moment to notice the attention to detail on the interior trim on the A-pillars for example? Plastic trim that has the look and texture of the fabric on the ceiling. A small but very nice touch. One of many that people seem to disregard in GM interiors because they're just looking to find something wrong as opposed to noticing what is right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
I think the interior looks pretty good from a design standpoint. However GM once again hurts themselves by using cheaper plastics that look, ummm, well, cheap. However, this is forgiveable when you have such an otherwise good design.

My only REAL peeve witht he GP is the front clip. It looks terrible IMO. The rest of the cars design is solid though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Thats great news the back seat was the worst that I have sat in for comfort and ease of entry/exit. I just wish they could do it right the first time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,621 Posts
makes me wonder... they've been building back seats for sedans for decades... how is it they managed to stick something so stiff in this car? did no one try it out in the pre-production stage? did they just stick it in and say "bah, looks fine... no bob, don't even bother sitting down. it's fine."?!?

i'm always amazed when a car is updated and comes out worse! yeah, overall the car is fantastic, and many would say this car is built for drivers... who cares about the back seat... but as a large car the grand prix is suited to carrying passengers. just seems odd that they could make such a glaring oversight and stick in a church pew!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 23 2004, 03:54 PM
makes me wonder... they've been building back seats for sedans for decades... how is it they managed to stick something so stiff in this car? did no one try it out in the pre-production stage? did they just stick it in and say "bah, looks fine... no bob, don't even bother sitting down. it's fine."?!?

i'm always amazed when a car is updated and comes out worse! yeah, overall the car is fantastic, and many would say this car is built for drivers... who cares about the back seat... but as a large car the grand prix is suited to carrying passengers. just seems odd that they could make such a glaring oversight and stick in a church pew!
Couldn't have said it better!!

Where was Bob on this one?????
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top