GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all the latest GTO news, visit the first and largest new GTO site www.NewAgeGTO.com!

DETROIT - General Motor's Pontiac division today announced introductory pricing for the 2004 GTO, arriving in dealer showrooms in December. In addition, EPA city and highway mileage ratings were also released.

The GTO's manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) is $32,495, which includes destination and freight charges of $700. The only available option is a six-speed Tremec manual transmission for $695.

EPA fuel economy for the manual transmission is 17 miles per gallon (mpg) in the city and 29 mpg on the highway, for an EPA composite mileage rating of 24.8 mpg. A GTO equipped with an automatic transmission is rated at 16 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway, for an EPA composite rating of 21.5 mpg.**

"In this price range, there are few cars that can match the GTO in terms of its blend of performance, handling and sophistication," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "With vehicles like the Vibe, the Grand Prix, the GTO and the Bonneville GXP leading the way, Pontiac is building a line of no-compromise performance vehicles."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, forgive me if I still read Motor Trend, but they do get the big stories first! (After the net of course...) There is one heck of a nice article in the december issue about the new Goat (Nice picture on the cover too.). If I were you US guys I'd get in line right now to get one of those sweet machines!
I quote: "No, Pontiac's new 2004 GTO is not an ear-shattering, liver pummeling reincarnation of the original Goat. Yes, it is the fastest, most appealing GM muscle coupe in memory." That comment coming from any car magazine has got to be good! Here are a couple numbers from their tests: 0-60 in 5.3 sec, 1/4 mile in 13.62 @ 104.78, skidpad .80 g with the 6 speed. Get the magazie for the rest of the story! I love it! Too bad I live in Canada, got to wait at least another year :( ... Now if could only get my 6 speed in Orbit Orange... Can't wait!! :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Uhh, I hope that skidpad quote is pretty wrong... that's not as good as the late WS6's and I'm pretty sure the Firehawk's approached .90 g's....

Update:

From Firehawk.org's Firehawk documentation:

MotorTrend magazine added this assessment, "Handling? How about .91g on the skidpad?..."

http://www.firehawk.org/article.html?ID=1279

So great.. the GTO costs more, handles WORSE despite IRS, looks :YMCA: , is evidently NOT underrated, etc.

Well, I guess it could have been worse. GM could have brought it back FWD.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So great.. the GTO costs more, handles WORSE despite IRS, looks  , is evidently NOT underrated, etc.

yeah i wish they'd add all the plastic cladding, discomfort, rattles and bloated looks to the GTO too. maybe that'd make all the "purists" happy.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 3eb@Nov 4 2003, 06:55 AM
So great.. the GTO costs more, handles WORSE despite IRS, looks  , is evidently NOT underrated, etc.

yeah i wish they'd add all the plastic cladding, discomfort, rattles and bloated looks to the GTO too. maybe that'd make all the "purists" happy.
ahahah yeah really... bring on the b*tching!

ahh which one is it now?

Ok lets try this one.. skidpad numbers... well that TA did .91 eh? Thats cool since an IROC in 85 pulled .93... i guess that means that the TA handles like crap eh? The TA is no match for an IROC... yep, the same third gens people love to hate pulled a better skid pad number then a LS1 TA! How is that possible you say? OMG that cant be right you say... The article is in a book I have showing .93 on the pad. Id like to throw the GTO and TA in an autox race... 2 stock cars going head to head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The American fetish with skidpad numbers is quite loopy. Skidpad numbers by themselves mean nothing. There have been armies of autoss that pull low skidpad numbers and yet somehow excel out in the real world on real roads.

Remember, static skidpad lateral acceleration numbers are completely useless as a barometer on how the car will work day-to-day. It is in this area where the GTO will stomp the carrot of many a car while delivering ture driving excitement. The GTO's suspension is calibrated for long travel and precise damping.....exactly what we in North America need for a outstanding handling vehicle.

BMW has known this for decades. Now Pontiac is getting a lesson in handling dynamics from their Aussie cousins. Great car, great handling, great timing. I'll be ordering mine this Spring. :eatarrow:

-Node

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
All I have to say is that for $33 large, this car is an ***** bargain, and 29 mpg highway too! There is an Auto Show in Motion comming to my city soon, I hope that they have one there to drive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We've heard rumors that the MT test was on a pre-production model wearing the 225's instead of the 245's. Also C&D is quoting .88 g's. Either way I'm upgrading to 18's with 245/40's front and 275/35's rear. I think my skidpad numbers will be considerably better.

:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
IT IS A BARGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
*sorry but I had to*

Lets see, I get as much hp as a stock C-5, plus 2 extra seats, a b*tchin audio system and quality that is higher than a Corvette *noting the cheap interior* for over 10K less with the same engine that has a boat load of cheap aftermarket stuff for it so the guys going "It doesn't have enough go" have more than plenty in hp.

This much is for sure, if I had the money I would most definitly buy one in red. Or black :woot2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I would pick mine in black, my GXP :afro:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thats cool since an IROC in 85 pulled .93... i guess that means that the TA handles like crap eh?
Well-optioned 2nd Gen fbodies have always been known as great handling vehicles. In the 80's, the Fbodies were the great handlers and the Mustangs were the drag cars (sad, but true).

BUT.... 91-93 g's on the skidpad is a lot less dramatic than 80-91.

American fetish with skidpad numbers is quite loopy.
Was this some kind of joke? You do know that the skidpad numbers represent how hard a car can turn until it spins out right? WTF?

If a car with dramatically lower skidpad ratings wins, it's due to driver skill, not because the physical limits of the vehicle magically go into limbo.

That's like saying just because a stock Mustang GT has beat an LS1 F-car in a race once or twice before, the 80 horsepower differences "themselves mean nothing"

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would have to agree. Skidpad numbers dont always tell the whole story of a vehicles true road course performance.

Why do I say that?

Because its true. The Mclaren F1 got a .89g on the skidpad test. Does it mean it actually handles worse than the T/A 85 Iroc and Z06?

Of course not.. skidpad numbers are in fact meaningless.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wrong.

The F1 is known for it's poor handling compared to other super cars.

I remember the F1 posting hilariously low slalom times.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Nov 5 2003, 06:20 AM
You do know that the skidpad numbers represent how hard a car can turn until it spins out right? WTF?

If a car with dramatically lower skidpad ratings wins, it's due to driver skill, not because the physical limits of the vehicle magically go into limbo.

That's like saying just because a stock Mustang GT has beat an LS1 F-car in a race once or twice before, the 80 horsepower differences "themselves mean nothing"
Well, yes and no. Skidpad grip is but one measure of handling. In the real world, how accessible that grip is will vary. Sure one car may pull .95 gs at a steady speed on a skidpad. But how much of that .95 gs can you get in a bumpy corner? What about under hard braking? Or accelerating hard out of corner? Other factors in vehicle design will greatly effect "real world" handling and determine how much of that grip is available.

The new GTO with its IRS may in fact be able to use its tire's available grip better in the real world of less-than-perfect pavement than a live axle Camaro.

·
Registered
30 Posts
..."On the twisty roads around General Motors’ Milford proving grounds, the GTO simply shines, its chassis almost unflappable over road imperfections and through aggressively driven curves. Its four-wheel independent suspension—MacPherson strut and progressive springs in front, multilinks with semi-trailing arms in back—hunkers down nicely in the turns and rides almost flat. Its 17-inch 225/50R BFGoodrich GForce TAs give a good deal of grip, too, and help the four-wheel disc brakes—11.7-inch vented fronts and 11.3-inch solid rears—and four-channel antilock braking system pull the car to straight stops with little drama.

Its superior body control feels particularly fine when hustled full-on through tighter combinations of turns. Believe us, no ’64 (or 1965-74, for that matter) could even come close to handling like this."

From Motorweek on-line. I tend to believe it from people who know vehicle dynamics. All the rest is barroom bravado.

-Node

1 - 20 of 47 Posts