GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:argue: I think GM needs to investigate their lugnuts. Yesterday i was driving down the road and all 5 broke off resulting in the tire flying off smashing my fender and door up. I was lucky and kept control of the car after it slid sideways. Now my 1999 Grand prix gt sits in a repair shop because of weak crap thats so important.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Did you or someone have that tire off the car recently? I can't imagine all five lug nuts failing at the same time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is it possible that the location you keep the car in storage is not that safe and someone may have tried to pick up an extra factory wheel by stealing yours and got all the lug nuts loose?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
did the nuts all fall off, or did they shear the threads, or did the studs break? crazy stuff man... sounds fishy though! good job on holding on... many people woulda been upside down in a ditch i'm sure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was tampered with because theres one guy who hates me and hes been known to mess with cars but of course cops are ****** ****s and told me that theres no way it was tampered with. I drove the car for about 10 miles and felt no signs of a loose wheel untill it broke off. The lug nuts did not unscrew off, the bolts they screw onto broke in half.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I agree. For all the studs to snap off, the wheel would have to be a little loose. It wouldn't have to be much, just enough for the wheel to vibrate and fatigue the studs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like there's another cause. Stud's don't just break for no reason.

-T

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Jul 12 2004, 07:43 PM
Sounds like there's another cause. Stud's don't just break for no reason.

-T
True true. Maybe the Grand Prix had phenominal torque at the wheel and snapped them. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Generally if they snap off at or close to the hub its from being over torqued. When was your last tire rotation or flat repair? Are the holes in the wheel oval? Or was it sudden.

Anyways if they were just rotated I would check all the nuts with a torque wrench or stick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey 'Shroom,

You didn't say which wheel it was. Anyway, you're lucky 'cause it appears someone's out to gettcha!

As for the cop statement, how's a cop supposed to know what made the wheel fall off? Hell, you say you thought it was someone messing with you, but then you decide it's GM's fault? Whatever..... :zap:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Sounds like loose lugnuts alright...more than likely helped along. I would say that it was tampered with, especially since it seems to be only one wheel. If the other wheels were loose also, that may mean something else, but for only one wheel, somebody's out to get you.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
BAR THE WINDOWS AND LOCK YOUR DOORS THE BOOGIEMAN IS OUT TO GET YOU!!!

while I agree that this definately isnt normal I doubt someone's out to get you.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Since the car is a 99 and you'vehad it for a year, the majority of the car's life is unknown to you.
I am guessing that those nuts were torqued close to the lugs' ultimate strength and they were sitting there like time bombs. Fatique took the first one which was immediately followed by the others as the stress increased on them.
From what you are saying, the lugs did not show any signs of being bent which would happen as the wheel started to leave the rotor assembly increasing the moment. The lugs are not brittle so I would imagine that bending would exist.

You can always have a metallurgist look at the lugs' end for fatique marks and the method of failure (bending, torque,...).

I would do one thing. I'd check every other tire for the amount of torque on the other lugs. Maybe even have them replaced.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Are we going to get a final report MushroomXIII? It would be interesting to find out what actually happened. Or will you just have the other wheels inspected and call it good?

·
Registered
373 Posts
bakerna, that has to be the most intersting post ive ever seen. Well lugnuts are generally strong and wont just fall off. mabye who ever tightend them last cross threaded em and eventually they just unscrewed them selves, but to all five lugnuts? i bet some **** did it to you, no offense but certain cops r idiots (if they have no knowledge other then cop related things they're idiots) if they cant explain anything to you exsept "no" then they have absolutly no idea what happend and you shouldnt really beleive them. someone probably did it to you, unfortunally it wont be easy accussing him. but you have to relize something, it aint a joke. you know if u didnt handle the car well you could have gotten hurt REALLY bad and even killed, so dont let the cops tell you "no". good luck man

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.