GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pontiac, I dont ask you for much, but please get rid of the waste of time Vibe and old Sunfire for the Astra 5dr. I went looking around the internet to day, and decided that I would take a look at what else GM has out there to offer us here at home. The Astra seems like a dead on with what Pontiac is trying to go after. It has the turbo 2.0 motor in it, and GMPD could tweek it for GTP and GXP models. It would add a little flavor and not give so much overlap between Chevy, Saturn and Pontiac. A nice hatch would add a little flare to the entry level of Pontiac. Give it the same set up with base 2.2, 2.4 and Turbo/Supercharged 2.0 and there could be a good demand for this car. It would be great to head to head with the Golf this way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jul 19 2004, 08:20 AM
Pontiac, I dont ask you for much, but please get rid of the waste of time Vibe and old Sunfire for the Astra 5dr. I went looking around the internet to day, and decided that I would take a look at what else GM has out there to offer us here at home. The Astra seems like a dead on with what Pontiac is trying to go after. It has the turbo 2.0 motor in it, and GMPD could tweek it for GTP and GXP models. It would add a little flavor and not give so much overlap between Chevy, Saturn and Pontiac. A nice hatch would add a little flare to the entry level of Pontiac. Give it the same set up with base 2.2, 2.4 and Turbo/Supercharged 2.0 and there could be a good demand for this car. It would be great to head to head with the Golf this way.
The Astra was actually the original inspiration for the new Cobalt. The brand & futures team used the Astra as the basis...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well, with this recent news of a Kappa replacement for the Sunfire, I don't think they'd have to bring in the Astra for that purpose. I do think it would be a good replacement for the Vibe. The Vibe is too closely related to the Matrix, and I think the use of Opel's Astra would be more in keeping with GM identity and brand recognition. Besides, doesn't everyone like European cars? <_<

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by GN6@Jul 22 2004, 03:30 PM
Well, with this recent news of a Kappa replacement for the Sunfire, I don't think they'd have to bring in the Astra for that purpose. I do think it would be a good replacement for the Vibe. The Vibe is too closely related to the Matrix, and I think the use of Opel's Astra would be more in keeping with GM identity and brand recognition. Besides, doesn't everyone like European cars? <_<
Great point. I agree! While GM has not stepped up like most of us want, the some of the brands have really been coming on strong. For example, even though the GTO is not the "Ultimate Goat" that some people wanted, I believe that it is a great step in the right direction. It could have been worse; GM could have taken an existing FWD V6 platform, and rebadged it as the GTO...

Also, the Cobalt is a great vehicle to compete in the Sport Compact arena. I believe Pontiac is badging the car as the Pursuit, to be sold in Canada. If that is accurate, I wonder if it will roll out in the US subsequently?

Sorry, I babble on... Once again - Great point about the Kappa!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jul 19 2004, 08:20 AM
Pontiac, I dont ask you for much, but please get rid of the waste of time Vibe and old Sunfire for the Astra 5dr.
i can't undertsand the vibe being considered a waste of time. if it weren't for the vibe i wouldn't be driving a pontiac right now. possibly not a GM. what else is there in that size and price range? sunfire? cavalier? aveo? grand am is a good value, but the wagon format is very appealing. and pontiac jumped on it just as the protege5 and focus ZX5 were warming up. if pontiac had waited to do their own it would probably only be out now. and it would be a sunfire wagon. i'd prefer an ecotec vibe for sure, but just like the 9-2x, the vibe was (and is) an excellent stopgap measure. with best-in class fuel economy. and a 5-star crash rating. and an AWD version. and an available nav system. the astra would make a fine pontiac, perhaps, but the vibe was most certainly a valuable exercise for pontiac.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Originally posted by atomicshark+Jul 22 2004, 07:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atomicshark @ Jul 22 2004, 07:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fuel4soul@Jul 22 2004, 01:24 PM
Are there any pictures of this Astra you're talking about?? I'd like to see it.
Here is the Astra: [/b][/quote]
looks like the new focus

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Totally agree with you bigals, the Astra would be a great car for Pontiac.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jul 19 2004, 03:20 AM
Pontiac, I dont ask you for much, but please get rid of the waste of time Vibe and old Sunfire for the Astra 5dr.  I went looking around the internet to day, and decided that I would take a look at what else GM has out there to offer us here at home.  The Astra seems like a dead on with what Pontiac is trying to go after.  It has the turbo 2.0 motor in it, and GMPD could tweek it for GTP and GXP models.  It would add a little flavor and not give so much overlap between Chevy, Saturn and Pontiac.  A nice hatch would add a little flare to the entry level of Pontiac.  Give it the same set up with base 2.2, 2.4 and Turbo/Supercharged 2.0 and there could be a good demand for this car.  It would be great to head to head with the Golf this way.
Going head-to-head with the Golf??

Going head to head with the Golf is a waste of time, traditional small hatches don't sell in the U.S., the Vibe's wagon form, larger size, and versatility already have the Golf beat by a long shot. It outsells it 3-1, Sunfires are a waste of time, the Vibe is anything but.

I do agree about bringing us the Astra, just not at the expense of the Vibe, there's room for both under the Pontiac brand IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts