GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a friend who has a 1995 Oldsmobile Royale 88 with the 3.8L in it, I believe its a K code. His serpentine belt had slipped of and then after placing it back on, broke. He had went and got a new belt and now does not know how it goes on. Does anyone have a diagram or instructions on how to replace it?? Please help!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this model, but I believe there is a diagram located on the emission stickers under the hood. I know other GM models have this....usually by the A/C condenser just in front of the main radiator. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no diagram to be found under the hood and he does not have the owners manual. I keep reading that the motor mount needs to be removed but from what I saw, it looks like that step can be skipped and the belt can be fed from the crank to the water pump, then the tensioner down to the PS pump and avoid the mount. Does anyone else have a clue? diagram?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks edward...but...I already knew that. From what I recall, nothing siezed. However, on his way in, his power steering did go out but was working for the 30 seconds his car ran after we put the old belt on after it slipped of the first time.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Thanks for the diagram cadsrbest. I do recall seeing that in the ALLDATA demo on thier site. The main question I still have is do I have to remove the motor mount or whatever mount it is to feed the belt in or can the belt be feeded with the mount in place. From what I saw, it looks like that could work, but am asking here to get help to understand the proper replacement.

EDIT: I did read that post with the picture and apparently the mount does need to be removed. Is this true??

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Work up from the Harmonic Balancer. If the pulley is smoot that means it is th back side of the belt, is it is ribbed, that means it is the face of the belt.

Usually it goes over the Water Pump on it's back first.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Work up from the Harmonic Balancer. If the pulley is smoot that means it is th back side of the belt, is it is ribbed, that means it is the face of the belt.

Usually it goes over the Water Pump on it's back first.
Okay. But, would starting there allow me to work around the stupid mount or not??

·
Registered
273 Posts
EDIT: I did read that post with the picture and apparently the mount does need to be removed. Is this true??
Yes:yup:
one bolt (access from the wheel well) has a spacer/sleeve. Always seems to go back together harder than it comes apart.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes:yup:
one bolt (access from the wheel well) has a spacer/sleeve. Always seems to go back together harder than it comes apart.

Across from the wheel well as in underneath the PS and water pump pulley on the block?? And then the mount should move out of the way?? Does know if there is a torque spec for the bolt??

UPDATE: Well, I talked to him tonight and I may be heading out to the car tomorrow to work on it. Still am wondering about a torque spec and if the location questions are correct. Thanks to all that have helped and to any that can provide more info.

·
Registered
273 Posts
3.8L - VINS 1 & K
Removal & Installation
Remove negative battery cable. Disconnect vacuum reservoir. Disconnect outer and inner accessory drive belts. On supercharged engines, disconnect heater hoses from pipes and pipes from engine. Using appropriate engine support fixture raise engine slightly to take weight off engine mounts. Remove two bottom bolts on front engine mount. Remove through bolt from front engine mount and remove mount. Remove belts from engine compartment. Installation is reverse of removal. See Fig. 9 and Fig. 11 . Tighten engine mount bolts to 65 Ft. Lbs. (87 N.m).

Sorry about the slow response

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm trying to do the same thing to a 97 Regency with the 3.8L. I have taken the wheel off, the shroud, supported the engine with the jack, and taken the bottom motor-mount nut off.

How do I get that sleeve off? When I do get it off, that should allow me to put my new belt on, correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.