GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm going to a concert in Pensacola this Sunday to see 3 of my favorite guitarists play- Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Yngwie Malmsteen. Well, when I was passing through Mobile last week, I heard on the radio there that they are having a contest for backstage passes for that concert. It's a contest for the best jack-o-lantern, where you carve a rock and roll jack-o-lantern, email them the pics, then they post em on their site for voting. Please go to 96.1 THE ROCKET WEBSITE and vote for mine! Mine is the one with the guitar carved into 11 pumpkins with notes carved into other pumpkins and two guitars on the sides. Please go vote for mine as 10 (awesome), and the others as 1 (lame), or however you see fit. I'd really appreciate it as a fellow GM man! The contest ends tomorrow/Friday, so please vote for me... Thanks!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Never heard of them!!!!!!!!!??????? WTF? Oh well. Put in my vote for you, atbear.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I voted 10 for you and 1 for them about 10 or 15 times. Hope you win, that'll be an awesome show!!! Let us know how everything turns out.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Are those actually carved? It looks more like photoshopped. If carved, that's cool. If 'shopped, it looks like it needs work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Oct 30 2003, 04:45 PM
Who are these guys? Does anybody have pics or names of songs? :chef:
These 3 might just be the best guitar players to ever play the instrument.

They are THAT good.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I voted for ya about 10 times, check how you're doin and let us know if we need to vote more, That'll be one heck of a concert, and personally I didn't even like the other pumpkins I'd a voted for yours anyway!

ROCK ON!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS A TON GUYS!!!

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Yngwie Malmsteen are probably 3 of the best guitarists to ever touch the Instrument!!!! They play mostly instrumentals. Here are some examples if you wanna check em out:

Joe Satriani - Summer Song, Always with me Always with you
Steve Vai - Blue Powder, Tender Surrender
Yngwie Malmsteen - Dream On (with Dio), Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun, Beethoven's 5th

TODAY'S THE LAST DAY TO VOTE! Please go vote for me if you haven't. If you have, hey what the heck, let's vote again! hehe.... Guys, I REALLY Appreciate this!!!!! Thank you so much!!

BTW, this is a REAL carving!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Better than Clapton? Better than Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Surfing with the Alien? Outer space or from across the border?
Is this stuff for people who bang their heads? Or play it so loud in their tuners that the body bolts are loosening as the car sits at a light and pulsates? Is this such music?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say that "better" is a term that is best left to individual opinion. You may like Clapton and SRV better than these guys.... Hell, I LOVE SRV, and I like Clapton a lot too! But these guys are just on a whole different level in regards to their technical command and proficiency with the instrument. They are the Mozarts of today.

Alien is outer space... just some title...

You can bang your head to some of the stuff, some of it is soft too.... there's a lot of everything.... You don't have to play it loud either.....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
These guys came on the music scene in the early to mid 80's. Swallowed up by
progressive rock radio then. They are the masters as atbear describes...

Great tunes!!!!!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ok, this is me being honest here, but yours is the best by far. those other 2 are the worst i've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Is this stuff for people who bang their heads?
Scholars tend to file it "Speed Metal," under the subheading of "Guitar Gods." With the evolution of heavy metal to a much more extreme level, Vai/Sat/Yng sound, today, more like hard rock. Their music "rocks," but it is not a laid-back "fun" type of rock like Kiss or AC/DC.

They employ technical virtuosity to explore musical avenues inaccessible to less-capable musicians. This approach tends to produce music that is often rather hard to follow for less musically literate listeners, who are unable to appreciate Vat/Sat/Yng's talents beyond the fact that they are playing really really fast. On the other hand, guitar afficionados often attend these shows with binoculars, so that they can view playing techniques up close. Compare it with a homebrewer's ability to evaluate and appreciate a premium microbrew versus the average person's preference for budweiser, miller, or coors.

I'm definitely a head-banger, but this style of metal doesn't really appeal to me. A big part of this is, of course, my ignorance of the guitar. On the philosophical side, these artists tend to be more technically innovative than compositionally innovative, and expand the genre through structure. The modern cutting-edge "head banger," while likely able to appreciate guitar, tends to be more interested in the lateral evolution of metal into new soundspace. Thus, the cutting edge of heavy metal, until the recent synthesis of "Modern Extreme Metal" (e.g. Cynic, Opeth) from the stagnation of death metal and black metal, rarely involved musicians of superior technical ability.

The "head bangers," it seems (based on my poll of one head banger) do show affinity toward "Classic Metal" (e.g. Iced Earth, Strativarious, Blind Guardian), the modern rennaisence of '80's speed metal and the ubiquitously abbreviated NWOBHM ("New Wave of British Heavy Metal" --e.g. Iron Maiden). This is a similar type of music to the "Guitar God" metal, but the music is much more vocal. While Classic Metal usually requires a highly competent lead guitar, it is never the focal point of the ensemble.

Or play it so loud in their tuners that the body bolts are loosening as the car sits at a light and pulsates? Is this such music?
Hey, just because some of have body bolts, it doesn't mean we drive blinkey, pulsating tuners.

:frankie: :frankie: :frankie: :frankie: :frankie:

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
190 Posts
hey atbear, any word on the contest yet? i definitely would have voted for yours anyway, the others were complete crap!

another good band to check out is Dream Theater

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, Thanks to all of you who voted for my Jack-O-Lantern entry on the website, I won the backstage passes to the the Meet-and-Greet after the concert! It was awesome, and I'll discuss that at the end. Here's my concert review:

The Saenger Theatre in Pensacola is an 1800 seat theatre with a floor section and a balcony. We had pretty good seats on the left side on the aisle on the 25th row.

First out was Yngwie, who I was most looking forward to seeing, as he was the first guitarist of this calibre I'd ever heard back in elementary school. This was my first time to see him live. I'd read on here that people said he kinda over did it on stage (80s kicks, throwing picks, etc), but I thought it was pretty good. He really played on the audience, and even bent down and let the people in the front row tap on his guitar (with the volume off of course). There was a huge Yngwie contengent in the crowd Sunday, which I was glad to see. You can't argue that Yngwie is a MASTER of the instrument! He literally TEARS IT UP out there. Simply amazing. I like Yngwie's style, so I really loved his part of the show. If you don't like Yngwie, you might not like it as much, but you sure as hell have to appreciate it!

As for Vai, he was awesome too. I read on here that he kinda stole the show in some cities he was so good, but that wasn't the case on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, he was on, and was awesome. But he didn't stand out ahead of Yngwie or Joe. He talked the most with the crowd, and was the most personable I think. A girl in the audience gave him flowers, and he gave her his necklace!! I bet that made her day! I talked to her after the show and that was one big heavy necklace/chain. Vai's a master of tapping and effects. His redition of Whispering a Prayer was awesome!

Joe Satriani was freaking ON Sunday night!! He was probably the one I was looking forward to hearing the least, but he sure impressed me! His performances were flawless, and his tone was outstanding! He definately had the best sound out there, awesome tone, and super clear. He is an outstanding songwriter, and his new song he played (not sure of the name, but it was his 3rd or 4th song) was just an awesome song. I loved it. Joe really proved to me that he is one of the top guitarists in the world, and is just an outstanding songwriter and live performer.

Like I said Joe had the best sound/tone out there by far. His was the best sounding and the clearest. Vai and Yngwie were about the same. Yngwie's was super loud, but pretty good. Vai's wasn't quite as loud, but wasn't that clear either, which is maybe was hurt him in my eyes. Just as an FYI, Joe and Steve used cords, and Yngwie was wireless. For sheer command of the instrument, I'd have to give it to Yngwie, with Vai a close second, then Satch. Joe was the most on Sunday, like I said, he was flawless. If Yngwie and Via's sound would have been a little better, I might think the same about them. Joe also had the best set, followed by Vai and Yngwie. Joe sure had some beautiful guitars!

It was an AWESOME show, and when they came out and played together it was magic. They played Voodoo Chile with Yngwie on lead and vocals and it rocked! Then they played Little Wing with Vai on lead and they tore it up. Last was Rockin' in the Free World (I HATE NEIL YOUNG) but they pulled that of awesome too. Joe did the vocals, and each took turns on lead. They played off each other very well, and they switched leads flawlessly. When they played together at the same time, it sounded AWESOME!! The only technical difficulties all night were about 5 seconds when Yngwie's wireless cut out, but he just turned around and it picked back up. Like I said that only lasted 5 seconds. JOE, STEVE AND YNGWIE GOT ALONG BEAUTIFULLY OUT THERE!! They all talked to each other, played off each other, and none of them tried to outshine the others. I was impressed!

Seeing how awesome the show was, I couldn't wait for the Meet-and-Greet after the show!!!!! There were about 35-40 of us with passes, so it was kinda crowded, but still awesome. My cousin and I sat right by the door and waited for them to come out. They all came out at the same time and went to different ends of the room to spread out the crowd. Since I was right by the door, I was the first to talk to Steve Vai. He sure is a nice guy! I had printed out a picture of my winning Jack-O-Lantern for all of them to sign. Steve thought it was really cool! I got Steve to sign my BOSS DS-1 pedal Modified by Robert Keeley (Vai uses one) which is SOOO COOL! I then went to talk to Joe Satriani, who was in the middle of the room surrounded by people. He is SUCH a nice guy!!!! Talking with people however long they wanted, taking pictures, signing everything. I got him to sign my picture, and he thought it was so cool too. Also got him to sign my Surfing with the Alien CD. Then I went to go find Yngwie. He was sitting at a folding table against the other wall signing autographs. Being Yngwie fans, we were really looking forward to this. He was signing what people wanted, and wasn't mean to people, but you can tell he's not as nice a guy as Joe or Steve. He was trying to hurry people up every now and then saying he had to go to Washington DC. I got him to sign my Oddesey and Collection CDs, and then I put my Jack-O-Lantern picture in front of him on the desk.... HAHA HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK!! Being from Europe, I guess he didn't grow up with Halloween/Jack-O-Lanterns. He kinda put his hands up, looked at it, paused... and then signed it. He looked at me and smiled. My cousin got him to sign his Yngwie instructional video. I explained what the Jack-O-Lantern picture was to all three of them, and they thought it was cool. My cousin bought a play bill and got them all to sign it and make it out to him personally. It was AWESOME! We're gonna put the play bill Jack-O-Lantern picture, tickets, and autographs in a big frame.

Anyway, I had a great time. This was definately the best concert I've ever gone to. It was soo cool meeting these guys! To think, we met three of the greatest guitar players to ever play the instrument. Thanks so much to you guys for helping me win the contest and get the passes! I hope all of you get to go see one of the remaining G3s this year. As Yngwie said: "You don't wanna miss this... You don't wanna miss this!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts