GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hand to hand combat

Hand-held gaming is no longer child's play. More than 168 million GameBoys have been sold since 1989, but now Sony, Nokia and even Nintendo are taking portable games out of the playground and putting them into the hands of adults.

At the recent unveiling of PlayStation Portable (PSP), Sony had to mop up the drool from excited onlookers. PSP is so sexy it would sell even if it could not play games.

The dazzlingly bright screen is marvellous for watching movies and the device might also challenge iPod as the hippest music player available.

Best of all, its gaming power is astonishingly similar to PlayStation2. Gran Turismo 4 looks every bit as stunning as on PS2.

PSP will initially be expensive and Sony will have to be careful to avoid a flood of lazy PS2 conversions: original games catering to the strengths and weaknesses of the hand-held platform are required. But PSP will undoubtedly excite an adult audience that Nintendo has ignored and Nokia has so far failed to stir.

In typical style, Nintendo is responding to Sony's challenge with innovation and has received widespread acclaim from critics and developers for its Nintendo DS touchscreen. The twin displays and voice recognition allow exciting new possibilities.

DS and PSP will arrive here early next year, giving Nokia a crucial window of opportunity. The improved N-Gage QD arrives in the next few weeks, cleverly bundled with The Sims Bustin' Out. If Nokia can release more games that utilise the device's strong communication capabilities, it will have a unique point of difference.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au

http://www.phonecontent.com/bm/news/gnews/310.shtml

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
:bounce:

Wow...I'll take one definitely! Just imagine how technology will evolve even further within the next 10, even 5 years...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jun 21 2004, 01:34 PM
What about Nintendo DS. It is supposed to be cheaper.
I didn't even know Nintendo was making something new! Well I looked around the internet and to me the PSP seems like a better deal, even if it is more expensive. If you look at the graphics quality and the list of available games, the PSP is geared more towards teenagers and young aduls while the DS is more for kids and preteens, or "tweens". Also, the PSP can be fitted with GPS which seems pretty cool to me! It makes me want to start playing videogames again!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm not even into video games. This is something stunning! Video games are an addictive silly little thing that people like Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony get people into buying. People like 'tweens'??! They ask their parents, and obviously the price seems like a good deal, but it ends up with the kids staying in, playing all the time, and gaining weight, because they forgot to go outside.
Parents here at the GMI board: urge your kids to get out and play. I don't have children, but it surely will make more people obese in this country. We have enough already. America: get fit!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts