GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a rumor that GM has notified the UAW of a scheduled 12 week plant shutdown at Fort Wayne for 're-tooling' next year. Wonder what that is all about. Wonder if Flint will be re-tooled as well.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
F/W is limited in expansion room I thought. Flint has an idled line from the 45/5500 IIRC.
I'd expect the CCs to sell more as I talk with current owners of ext cab HDs that don't like this quad cab* idea.

*Edit: "double" cab

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't see a re-tool to add crew cabs taking 12 weeks either, but who knows? As for Flint, I was told the '560' (medium truck) line area is still vacant, though rumors persist some form of medium duty is coming back someday.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Perhaps Fort Wayne is retooling to build crew cabs also? I know that Flint can't keep up to the demand of the HD crew cabs. Fort Wayne builds extend cabs light and heavy duty models now.
Fort Wayne also does regular cab HD and LD.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More than rumor, the news is affecting the supply chain.
GM has announced permanently laying off skilled trades at their stamping plants due to this.
Stamping, huh? You know there were rumors that GM was considering aluminum bodies for K2XX (or maybe it was C2XX) but due to the financial crisis they stayed with steel. Maybe they are dusting off those plans, and will need to source aluminum panels from somewhere else. Permanent layoffs for a temporary shutdown might signifie something drastic.

Funny thing, did anyone notice Ford is using rivets and structural adhesives to assemble the F-150 body? I read somewhere that GM has a proprietary process for spot-welding aluminum. It's supposed to be a real game changer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
How else are they going to get to 30k+ lbs? All from a new engine?
The factory hitch is rated to tow the max tow rating without replacing it. The frame is on the verge of F450-F550 in terms of its strength ratings. Shouldn't need too much tweaking to hit higher towing capacity. Just a stronger powerplant.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The factory hitch is rated to tow the max tow rating without replacing it. The frame is on the verge of F450-F550 in terms of its strength ratings. Shouldn't need too much tweaking to hit higher towing capacity. Just a stronger powerplant.
I have been told when GM does do a 4500/5500, the frame and front suspension will likely be similar to the current HD's. New Duramax will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
GM messed up a good product when it quite using the C3500HD.
They gave it the newer 8.1 gas engine but should have included the Duramax and Allison transmissions as well.
They were first to the class4 party and first too leave. Amazing a the much smaller RAM can make a business case for a 45/5500 truck but GM can't.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
GM messed up a good product when it quite using the C3500HD.
They gave it the newer 8.1 gas engine but should have included the Duramax and Allison transmissions as well.
They were first to the class4 party and first too leave. Amazing a the much smaller RAM can make a business case for a 45/5500 truck but GM can't.
GM has lost a fair amount of Silverado P/U fleet sales due to the lack of a 45/5500 Chassis Cab too. Ford and RAM are able to make a class 4/5 truck profitably, but you can't GM?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
For all of the talk about a future 4500/5500, we have seen neither hide nor hair of anything like them.
Nothing yet other than some K2XX 3500HD cab and chassis models being tested. CEO Barra did speak of new entries into the full size truck line at today's press conference. Hopefully that means more than trim packages.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts