GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have washed my car once and it didn't come off, the sap. Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to get it off? It's all over my hood and there is now a white spot where it was and has now dried. All I used was car soap and water and it didn't come off.
Any other idea's would be helpful.
Should I take it to a car wash or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Go buy a claybar set (avaliable at Autozone, OReillys, Wal Mart etc...) It will take it off, I've done it many times myself.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Just don't try to scrub with anything else... you will regret it if you do...

-Chase

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used white vinegar to get the dried part off then clay bar/wax treatment. I dont know where I saw the vinegar trick but I tried it and it worked. Please be cautious if you try it, I did it on my beater work car with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I used white vinegar to get the dried part off then clay bar/wax treatment. I dont know where I saw the vinegar trick but I tried it and it worked. Please be cautious if you try it, I did it on my beater work car with no ill effects.
I've used the same trick, though claybar also works. Either way you should rewax the area when you finish.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Wd40

5,934 Posts
I wonder if bug remover would work?

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I wonder if bug remover would work?
Not in my experience...but, a friend of mine said he was able to use that to get the sap off.

Course, I don't have a lot of strength...so, that might be part of it, too ... he heh.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's only going to make me strong" ... LeAnn Rimes ... 'Life Goes On'

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
While you're at it, go ahead and remove the pine tree. They are one of the worst trees to have in your yard. The needles mesh together making them hard to rake, pine cones complicate mowing, and the acidic needles prevent most anything from growing around the tree.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've purchased this at my dealer and it works great. GM Goodwrench Tar and Road Oil Remover. I try to use Meguires or Goodwrench whenever I can. As mentioned, the clay bar should work.

http://www.goodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/ExteriorCareProducts.jsp

Tar and Road Oil RemoverExcellent for spot cleaning and safe for use on painted surfaces (lacquer and enamel finishes), including clear coat paints. This fast-acting solvent safely and easily removes tar, asphalt, road oil, residues of old wax and silicone polishes, and other oily, gummy materials from all fine vehicle finishes.

Size: Item #:
16 oz. 1050172

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While you're at it, go ahead and remove the pine tree. They are one of the worst trees to have in your yard. The needles mesh together making them hard to rake, pine cones complicate mowing, and the acidic needles prevent most anything from growing around the tree.
I wish, this tree is at my work, they line the back portion of the parking lot. That is where we have to park b/c I am a co-op.

I've purchased this at my dealer and it works great. GM Goodwrench Tar and Road Oil Remover. I try to use Meguires or Goodwrench whenever I can. As mentioned, the clay bar should work.

http://www.goodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/ExteriorCareProducts.jsp

Tar and Road Oil RemoverExcellent for spot cleaning and safe for use on painted surfaces (lacquer and enamel finishes), including clear coat paints. This fast-acting solvent safely and easily removes tar, asphalt, road oil, residues of old wax and silicone polishes, and other oily, gummy materials from all fine vehicle finishes.

Size: Item #:
16 oz. 1050172
I used Bug and Tar remover from Meguires. I used Turtle was but it didn't work at all.

IT'S OFF! thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts