GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have been sceming a way to put my parents into a Fusion, Now that they are ready to trade thier 03 Impala and I no longer sell GM's

I feel that they are the best car Ford offers, but with them getting older, and Dad with ALS, getting in and out may be a problem.

So I think it will have to be a Five Hundered AWD, the H Point seating, should work out good for them.

But Congrates, I love the way they drive, and if it wasn't for 2 kids and 2 dogs, it would be the vehicle my wife would be in right now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cabana Boy said:
The Fusion is a far better car than a regular Focus or Cobalt. The way it drives down the road quietly, or the way it feels planted on the highway at high speeds - can't be compared to those econoboxes.
That's good, because my girlfriend has a ZX5 with a five speed (very rare combination, by the way) and I love the engine and transmission, but it's not that comfortable for freeway driving or long trips. Also, I hope the fusion is built much better, as the '02 ZX5 is falling apart.

Good choice on the color too, you don't see enough blue cars on the road. Too much silver and white.

On a final note, I agree with you about the manual transmission too. Some people just like it better. Like me. Though I'm not in the market for a new car right now, my current (affordable) favorites are probably the GTI and Mazdaspeed3 (though neither comes in blue:( )

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Nice car! If I were buying a midsize sedan right now it would take some hard debate to get me away from the Milan Premier I4/5-Speed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice car!

I had a rental Fusion awhile back and I was very impressed, it was very nice, especially considering that being a rental, it was the stripped-down base model.

The Fusion is a very serious competitor to the Aura/08 Malibu/G6, IMO. I'd like to see a "hotted up" Fusion hit the market, with maybe a snail to go with that AWD system, and maybe a 6MT, but I guess that'd just be a Mazdaspeed 6 in a "Fusion suit".

·
Super Moderator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
01cavalier said:
Nice car, out of what Ford has, I like it the most.
Thanks! I like it too. Just over 2K mile on it now and I'm enjoying it.
fenderbender said:
It doesn't cost more necessarily, he said he paid 22K for it, a very very nicely loaded Cobalt I looked at the other day, 07 SS/SC coupe stick, was just under 22K. I think it just might have had every option availible. Heated leather, XM, the works.

I understand though man, you needed a larger car and I don't blame you. GM really needs manuals in their cars. Does anyone have any idea why they are suddenly canceling most of their sticks?
Yeah, I loved the Cobalt but it was a bit too small for me. Regrettably....

My guess on the sticks probably has more to do with numbers and volume than anything. Someone also once told me that for every manual they offer in a particular lineup, they have to go through certifications as well --- so it might be cheaper for them to only offer it in automatics since 90% of the market wants those types of vehicles.

Dam shame in my opinion. Just makes me sad.

Thanks again.
cdp326 said:
I wouldn't call it "suddenly canceling" since they've been leaning this way for a few years now.
Sadly this is true.....sadly.
FordFan said:
Nice ride! and happy motoring!

Wish if we had the Fusion here!
Where are you at FordFan?
doh said:
I have been sceming a way to put my parents into a Fusion, Now that they are ready to trade thier 03 Impala and I no longer sell GM's

I feel that they are the best car Ford offers, but with them getting older, and Dad with ALS, getting in and out may be a problem.

So I think it will have to be a Five Hundered AWD, the H Point seating, should work out good for them.

But Congrates, I love the way they drive, and if it wasn't for 2 kids and 2 dogs, it would be the vehicle my wife would be in right now.
There's good room in it doh, but with 2 kids and the dogs, it might be tight.

I think you're right about your folks --- personally, I like the Five Hundred --- one coworker has one and it's a nice, comfortable car and handles well for a FWD car of it's size.

And since the biggest problem (to me anyway) was the engine -- and that's being addressed this coming model year as the new Taurus -- I think it would be a great vehicle for anyone who wants a car with some size to it.

In fact, I like the changes so much, I recommended it to a friend who said the'd look at it.

Of course, if it were up to me, I personally think that the "new" Sable is the better way to go since its much more stylish and upscale in my eyes...but that's just me.

Still there could be worse vehicles to own and the new Sable/Taurus isn't bad for folks in the situation your folks are in...
mmm...bowtie said:
That's good, because my girlfriend has a ZX5 with a five speed (very rare combination, by the way) and I love the engine and transmission, but it's not that comfortable for freeway driving or long trips. Also, I hope the fusion is built much better, as the '02 ZX5 is falling apart.

Good choice on the color too, you don't see enough blue cars on the road. Too much silver and white.

On a final note, I agree with you about the manual transmission too. Some people just like it better. Like me. Though I'm not in the market for a new car right now, my current (affordable) favorites are probably the GTI and Mazdaspeed3 (though neither comes in blue:( )
The Focus is a solid car and I like the way it drives and handles alot -- however, if I was serious about the segment, I probably would have gone with the Cobalt. My friend has a ZX3 and he makes the same comments as you have about your gf's car.

Actually I thought the same thing you did about the colors --- too much silver (though I would have considered white). I didn't want to blend in with everyone else with silver.

And my last car (the Contour) was black and I didn't want that either. So this blue seemed like a good choice since it was so different and has a nice deep look to it.

I like the GTI and the Mazdaspeed -- but don't know what I would get if I had a few more dollars. My friend has a GLI that he loves to death, but still, I can't convince myself to buy a VW after all the electrical gremlins he's had on the last two VWs he's owned.

Can't agree more with the stick comment....
AndrewGS said:
Nice car! If I were buying a midsize sedan right now it would take some hard debate to get me away from the Milan Premier I4/5-Speed.
I looked at the Milan as well and though that it was actually more upscale looking --- but I couldn't justify spending the extra $ on the Milan when I could get a Fusion with some added options for the same money.

Though the more I see the Milan around the more I like it.

I hope that the Milan gets a tasteful update in a year or so when it has it's MCE cause it's a really attractive looking car, IMHO...arguably better looking than the Fusion in a conservative kind of way....
HashiriyaS14 said:
Nice car!

I had a rental Fusion awhile back and I was very impressed, it was very nice, especially considering that being a rental, it was the stripped-down base model.

The Fusion is a very serious competitor to the Aura/08 Malibu/G6, IMO. I'd like to see a "hotted up" Fusion hit the market, with maybe a snail to go with that AWD system, and maybe a 6MT, but I guess that'd just be a Mazdaspeed 6 in a "Fusion suit".
I would love to see a hotted up verison of it -- or even a stronger "regular" version of it.

Igor seems to think that a larger standard engine will becoming next year with the Mazda6's redesign (a 2.5L version of the current MZR 2.3L I4) and/or possibly a "mid-level" 2.0L Turbo with roughly 200hp to take up the territory between the I4 base models and the V6 versions.

Too bad I'm finding out about this now...but I couldn't have waited that long....

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
nadepalma said:
Thanks! I like it too. Just over 2K mile on it now and I'm enjoying it...

...Igor seems to think that a larger standard engine will becoming next year with the Mazda6's redesign (a 2.5L version of the current MZR 2.3L I4) and/or possibly a "mid-level" 2.0L Turbo with roughly 200hp to take up the territory between the I4 base models and the V6 versions.
Too bad I'm finding out about this now...but I couldn't have waited that long....

ummm new pix? (sorry if they're in the middle of the thread, N. - I did check the first post for updates)
&
well, we know there's always sumthin new comin' - the next few years may be more than usual (hope hope)
just consider that even with good launches becoming s.o.p. for the 2 home teams, it still takes the possibility of first-year stuff out of the equation.
(btw, if you want plates taken out of pix just let me know. forgot to offer earlier)

·
Super Moderator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
2b2 said:
ummm new pix? (sorry if they're in the middle of the thread, N. - I did check the first post for updates)
&
well, we know there's always sumthin new comin' - the next few years may be more than usual (hope hope)
just consider that even with good launches becoming s.o.p. for the 2 home teams, it still takes the possibility of first-year stuff out of the equation.
(btw, if you want plates taken out of pix just let me know. forgot to offer earlier)
No, no new pics yet. I'm waiting to get the car cleaned up on a day I have nothing going on (not gonna be soon) and post them.

Yeah, there is always something new coming, it's almost unreal how quickly it all changes.
cs1992 said:
What kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 5-speed manual?
Hey cs -- with the way I drive in mixed traffic, I'm getting between 24 and 26 lately. It's not great, but it's not bad either.
HashiriyaS14 said:
O RLY?

I'd contemplate buying a low-$20s 2.0L turbo Mazda6.
Yeah --- the engines are supposed to trickle over to the Fusion/Milan, but they'd debut on the Mazda6 first. Then they'd move over at some point.

I'd love to see Fusion with a 2.0T --- and would love to own one even more.

·
Registered
727 Posts
congrats.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.