GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
YAY! you got your car! Looks soooo good! Congrats Nick!

shadams said:
...Be sure an update us regularly, sort of a long term test kinda thing.
Yup - a nother 'hat' for you to wear, N. But you'll do right by us, I'm sure...
wait a minute, it's been 4 hours since you originally posted - Time for an Update! ;)

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
While it would have been nice for you to have gotten a GM, I completely understand why the lack of a manual would cause you to go with the Ford. I like manual transmissions, too, and it is a very big issue with me. I have no desire to own a small or mid-sized car with an automatic, especially one with a 4 cylinder engine. Yuck.

I also have to say that I think the Fusion is probably the best looking car in the segment, bar none. Inside and out, I personally like it better than the G6, 2008 Malibu and certainly anything from Japan. The Aura might look as good, but, alas, no manual.

·
Registered
773 Posts
FoMoCo Fan said:
Actually it's made in Mexico. The Mazda 6 is made in the US though, on the same line they make the Mustang!
I don't care where the hell any American brand car is made, as long as its from an American automobile manufacturer. . Love the Fusion! Seeing them everywhere now, but I still think I see the Taurus more.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
fenderbender said:
Nice car.
Just curious, why didn't you want a smaller car, Cobalt, Focus, G5? You could have gotten the Cobalt SS/SC for a great price with good performance to boot.
The SS/SC costs a lot more than what he prob paid. I think they start at $22K. The fuel economy is much worst than the I4 Fusion and prob not better than the V6 either.

The Fusion is a far better car than a regular Focus or Cobalt. The way it drives down the road quietly, or the way it feels planted on the highway at high speeds - can't be compared to those econoboxes.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Cabana Boy said:
The SS/SC costs a lot more than what he prob paid. I think they start at $22K. The fuel economy is much worst than the I4 Fusion and prob not better than the V6 either.

The Fusion is a far better car than a regular Focus or Cobalt. The way it drives down the road quietly, or the way it feels planted on the highway at high speeds - can't be compared to those econoboxes.
It's also nice to have adults ride in comfort in your back seat. Adults can fit into the back of a Focus or Cobalt, but I'm sure the back of the Fusion is much better on long trips.

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
shadams said:
At this point all I care about is someone buy a GM or Ford. Of course GM should be first pick, but if they dont have what you want, what can you do besides buy the next best thing. ;)

Very nice car, hope it treats you right. Be sure an update us regularly, sort of a long term test kinda thing.
I feel the same way.

Thanks for the shadams, I appreciate it. I will do just that and update you guys on it. If there is any kind of major issue long-term, you all will be the first to know! :D

Michael_S said:
Ah, you know how it is. No matter how long you wait to buy, as soon as you spend your money some new upgrade will come out.

You can bet that if you waited until a bigger MZR became available with a 4-cylinder, that two weeks after you bought it GM would announce a G6 2.4 Ecotec with a 6-speed manual. Murphy's law. :D

Congrats on the ride. That's a good color choice, I like it a lot.
You are right of course Michael. Its absolutely true. As soon as you pick the car up, they add some color, trim-level, engine package, etc. Figures, right?

Dam that Murphy Brown and her proverbs! lol

Thanks on the thumbs up. I like the color too. My last car was black and I wanted something with some color and a little vibrancy. It was either this or a deep-red that Ford offers on the Fusion called Merlot.

I think I made the better choice on the color.

sigma said:
Congrats on the new car... As for the SAAB 9-3 being too expensive, the dealer around here still has 2006 that he has about 10k off on...:D
I wish we had that deal here. I was looking for something more "mid-sized" and the 9-3 is just a bit smaller, but I would have taken it. They unfortunately didn't have that deal around here -- or else I might be driving a 9-3 with that nice 210hp engine and 6-speed stick! :D

fenderbender said:
Nice car.
Just curious, why didn't you want a smaller car, Cobalt, Focus, G5? You could have gotten the Cobalt SS/SC for a great price with good performance to boot.
Thanks fenderbender.

I actually looked at the Cobalt and a the Focus, but I really wanted a mid-sized car. I'm a big boy and wanted something that was a bit more comfortable and spacious. My previous car was a Ford Contour SE-V6 (stick of course) and that vehicle wasn't small enough to be a C-segment type car or large enough to be a true mid-sizer (the Mazda6 comes close to it's size though). After having that car for a few years, I wanted something a bit larger and not really smaller. The Cobalt is rather spacious for what it is and so was the HHR (I looked at that too on a whim -- it was nice) but decided for a normal 3-box sedan rather than get the HHR or the Cobalt.

The G5 was also in consideration, but I really wanted a sedan and not a coupe. Had they had a sedan version of the G5 and the price was right (I heard they had better "packaging with options, etc than then Cobalt did), I might have gotten a better price on it and gotten that.

Lastly , I also looked at the Caliber, but I couldn't get the 2.4 with a stick -- only the AutoStick.

I was also tempted by the Jeep Patriot since it had a Jeep's traditonal styling, was lighter than the old Cherokee and came with a stick. But I wasn't sure how I'd feel driving what is still a pretty heavy vehicle (to make it AWD they add lots of componentry and it adds weight). Plus the car wasn't exactly out yet and didn't want to take the risk of making a purchase the first year the car was out in case of any bugs. At least the Fusion was out for a "model year" (a very very short one at that) but they added the MP3 player jack, fold-flat front passenger seat, and standard side-curtain air-bags for this year.

So that was my thinking --- the long way around! :D

2b2 said:
YAY! you got your car! Looks soooo good! Congrats Nick!

Yup - a nother 'hat' for you to wear, N. But you'll do right by us, I'm sure...
wait a minute, it's been 4 hours since you originally posted - Time for an Update! ;)
Thanks very much Paul.

No problems on the hat! I've got enough already but one more shouldn't kill me...I think!

HoosierRon said:
While it would have been nice for you to have gotten a GM, I completely understand why the lack of a manual would cause you to go with the Ford. I like manual transmissions, too, and it is a very big issue with me. I have no desire to own a small or mid-sized car with an automatic, especially one with a 4 cylinder engine. Yuck.

I also have to say that I think the Fusion is probably the best looking car in the segment, bar none. Inside and out, I personally like it better than the G6, 2008 Malibu and certainly anything from Japan. The Aura might look as good, but, alas, no manual.
I felt the same way on the stick.

The Aura is a great looking car and it almost killed me after looking at it that it didn't come with a stick. I was seriously tempted to just say to hell with it and get the Aura....but my stubborness won out! So I ended up with the Fusion.

Luckily it's a nice looking car so it wasn't like I had to settle on something and then hate the styling. I think I made out all right in that department at least. So many times when it comes to a purchase you have to make a compromise on so many fronts, but at least with this it turned out fine.

Explorer4x4 said:
I don't care where the hell any American brand car is made, as long as its from an American automobile manufacturer. . Love the Fusion! Seeing them everywhere now, but I still think I see the Taurus more.
It would be nice if we could have them all built in the US but that isn't the case and it isn't the way the market works anymore. Honestly, as long as the profits go back to Dearborn or Detroit or Auburn Hills (soon enough will that be true again?) then I'm fine with it. I don't see it as stealing jobs or any of that as much as I have to conceed that this is the way the market works for the forseeable future. Perhaps one day that will change as the standard of living increases around the world.

As I've said in other posts, I can't fault American based manufacturers/companies from doing that and say bad things about them while I'm using an Apple iPod that was designed in California but built in China or an HP/Compaq computer that was designed in the US but put had components put together in places like Indonesia, India, Taiwan and Malaysia.

You know what I mean?

Maybe I'm a bit simplistic this way but thats the way I think for the moment....it might change.

Cabana Boy said:

The SS/SC starts at someplace liek $21K --- it's not a bad deal, but it wasn't for me. I added a few options to the Fusion and it came in at around $22K or so. If I did the same thing with the Cobalt SS/SC (never mind the size issue I mentioned earlier) it might have been a higher sticker price altogether...and for someone on a budget that just won't do.

Thanks again!

GM_Fanatic said:
The Fusion is sharp! Congrats!
Thank you!

Michael_S said:
It's also nice to have adults ride in comfort in your back seat. Adults can fit into the back of a Focus or Cobalt, but I'm sure the back of the Fusion is much better on long trips.
Yeah, you're right about this, absolutely! Its not a bad place to spend an hour on a trip. I don't shuttle folks all over the place, but when I do, it would be nice to not have to worry about everyone not fitting properly either.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Welcome to the Ford family my son:D

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Your new Fusion looks great! Congrats! You made the right decision when you chose a manual tranny. I hope I never own another vehicle with an auto transmission.

Please post better pics when you get a chance to take more.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The Fusion looks great, congratulations. You have a point, GM needs a midsized sedan with a stick :mad: !

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
1931Chevy said:
Welcome to the Ford family my son:D
Thank you Father! But remember, I'm a former Mercury Tracer and Ford Contour owner.

My first car was a Cavalier Z24 coupe -- so GM came first to me with Ford a very close second! :D

So I guess I'm "keeping in the family" --- for the time being at least!

Thanks again!

TiburonJT said:
Your new Fusion looks great! Congrats! You made the right decision when you chose a manual tranny. I hope I never own another vehicle with an auto transmission.

Please post better pics when you get a chance to take more.
I thought so too.

I'm waiting for a nice day when I can wash the car and get some better pics out.

And of course, not be stuck behind a desk at work! :D

montrealvue said:
The Fusion looks great, congratulations. You have a point, GM needs a midsized sedan with a stick :mad: !
If only they had it...it would have turned out differently.

I love the Fusion so far, but I would have even waited to look at the Dodge Avenger, but they aren't planning on offering one with a stick anytime soon.

I've read some mixed reviews on it anyway, so perhaps it was better than that I just stuck with my original intentions of getting the Fusion.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Congrats, i like the Fusion a lot more than the current Mondeo

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Hey cool man! I like the Fusion, even though I wish I didn't. Most of my cars have been 4 cylinder / 5-speeds, and that's all I'll ever buy in the future, so I can totally see why you'd go for the Fusion. Enjoy, but not too much!

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
artrix said:
Congrats, i like the Fusion a lot more than the current Mondeo
Thank you!

paul8488 said:
Hey cool man! I like the Fusion, even though I wish I didn't. Most of my cars have been 4 cylinder / 5-speeds, and that's all I'll ever buy in the future, so I can totally see why you'd go for the Fusion. Enjoy, but not too much!
hahahaha, I see what you mean Paul. I'll try not to enjoy it too much .... :D

Buick61 said:
The 6-speed in my G6 was terrible. Just awful. It's probably good that GM didn't expand its offering.
I heard the same thing about the car for the first year -- but then heard that the stick was fixed the second year. Not sure where I read it on GMI, but someone had some anecdotal experience with it in which they said the first year they screwed it up pretty good (2nd to 3rd shift I think was the biggest compaint) and then it was 100 times better the second year.

Was this true? Too bad it wasn't in my price range -- I couldn't justify the cost considering my current financial position.

Michael_S said:
Oh, one last perk:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=561

If your Fusion was manufactured after this January, it has a 'Good' rating by the IIHS in front offset crashes and also side tall vehicle crashes.
Good find Michael! Actually yeah, it was built in March. I ordered it in January but the build date wasn't til the 2nd week or so in March.

Good to see this information....thank you.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Cabana Boy said:

It doesn't cost more necessarily, he said he paid 22K for it, a very very nicely loaded Cobalt I looked at the other day, 07 SS/SC coupe stick, was just under 22K. I think it just might have had every option availible. Heated leather, XM, the works.

I understand though man, you needed a larger car and I don't blame you. GM really needs manuals in their cars. Does anyone have any idea why they are suddenly canceling most of their sticks?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
fenderbender said:
GM really needs manuals in their cars. Does anyone have any idea why they are suddenly canceling most of their sticks?
I wouldn't call it "suddenly canceling" since they've been leaning this way for a few years now.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts