GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy near here who has a GMT400 stepside box for sale (cheap).

I'm wondering if I should get it... not sure, actually. I've always thought stepside trucks were cool, but maybe it's only because all my trucks have had fleetside beds. I don't want to regret going through the trouble of changing the box after I've done it.

(I'm going to have to paint a chunk of the truck anyways sooner or later -- look at my awful driver's door -- so I don't mind the bed being a different color)

I've been lucky enough to find pics on eBay of another truck that's pretty exactly like mine as far as the color goes, so I can get an idea of what it'd look like. Just ignore those obscenely gigantic tires.

So... opinions welcome. I might trust you guys' good taste.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I hate stepsides but it might be my "tete d'ingenieur" because of the wasted space, extra mass, wasted steel and wasted money on the production process of stepside (look at those crazy curves)

I like your door like that it gives the truck character. Shiny clean trucks (cough the Ram) have no personality.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
i like stepsides also, although i will state the obvious lack of capacity relative to a fleetside. But that is your decision. Have you ever seen a stepside tundra? GROSS, The domestics do this style better!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like your door like that it gives the truck character.
Yeah, but that truck is also used for business purposes. When you pull up at a plant and every other firm has shiny new $50k large crewcab dually F350s, you don't want your truck to have too much "character".

Ever since my door became like that, I've been going out of my way to park with my passenger side exposed to my customers every time I could. ;)

Also, "extra mass", are you sure? I'm pretty certain GMT400 stepside boxes have fiberglass sides...

But I agree with you, since the stepside idea got into my head, I've begun to notice my habits... to see if I could live with a stepside... I've carried sheets of plywood, drywall, etc. and every single time I've conveniently put tools in the areas in front of the wheel wells....... (tailgate was down, obviously, so the space that's on the back side of the wheel well is quite useless). I was like, "hmm, I wouldn't have been able to do this..."

I guess, when there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Ah fibreglass

I wasn't specifically talking about the GMT400 box and I haven't taken the different varieties on scales and measured ;) It might be marginally lighter with fibreglass sides but it all depends. Steel for steel I'm sure it would be more.

Ah yes the business. When you drive up to a client, you need a nice shiny clean vehicle. When you work for someone else and you drive up to your boss, you need a dirty crappy one or they might think they are paying you too much :lmao:

Want a new tailgate? My father is trying to sell one but it is white/red 2-tone painted, but it isn't all twisty or bent/rusty at all to my knowledge.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
although i will state the obvious lack of capacity relative to a fleetside.
It is according if you need to haul lots of stuff.
I always haul lots of stuff... but...

1) This particular truck's capacity is usually limited by the halfton rear suspension, not the size of the box.

2) Anyway, the volume of the box is quite negligible compared to the trailers I am usually towing with this truck (especially the one I'm just buying, 24 feet!). Most of the stuff I haul usually isn't even in the box :)

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah fibreglass

I wasn't specifically talking about the GMT400 box and I haven't taken the different varieties on scales and measured ;) It might be marginally lighter with fibreglass sides but it all depends. Steel for steel I'm sure it would be more.

Ah yes the business. When you drive up to a client, you need a nice shiny clean vehicle. When you work for someone else and you drive up to your boss, you need a dirty crappy one or they might think they are paying you too much :lmao:

Want a new tailgate? My father is trying to sell one but it is white/red 2-tone painted, but it isn't all twisty or bent/rusty at all to my knowledge.
Obviously steel for steel it would be more, but believe it or not, I'm talking about actual weights... :)

Full width, that tailgate of your dad's, I assume? Let me decide if I'll need it first...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I never liked stepsides and I ended up with one. I am also in college and my truck was bought for me in high school without a great deal of input from me (hence the iluvcamaros).

I like having something that is different and maybe not everybody likes. I also like the bulged fenders, they give an otherwise boxy area some character.

I think it is subjective. I am biased but I think step S10s are good looking while last gen step Tundras are an abomination (I've noticed this LONG before reading this thread).

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Count me in as one that does not like the stepside beds. You may not think you need the space due to the limits of your springs. I can tell you for sure that I've had "small" boxes become a major pain in my ass - be it shortbed trucks or stepside. I have a 9 foot bed on my 97 F150, and I've still piled junk up to the top of the cab, front to back.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I like stepsides. In fact, GM had a concept a few years ago that got me thinking: What if you grafted a stepside outer-fender onto a fleetside bed? It would take a bit of work to look good (like getting it to match up with the cab), but it would probably look pretty cool. I can't remember the name of the concept, but it had a full bed without any wheelwell intrusions.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I prefer fleetside, but that is because I want to use a truck as a truck. You can laydown a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a longbed, with the stepside it is leaned up against the side and hanging out the tailgate.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I prefer fleetside, but that is because I want to use a truck as a truck. You can laydown a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a longbed, with the stepside it is leaned up against the side and hanging out the tailgate.
A fullsize stepside bed is the same width as a fleetside is between the wheel wells. It is 50 inches, so it can haul a 4X8 sheet just fine. Any shortbox will not me able to handle the length though.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What if you grafted a stepside outer-fender onto a fleetside bed? It would take a bit of work to look good (like getting it to match up with the cab), but it would probably look pretty cool.
It's easy to imagine what it'd look like... it would look exactly like a normal 3500 dually pickup, but with only 2 rear wheels (the outside ones).

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A fullsize stepside bed is the same width as a fleetside is between the wheel wells. It is 50 inches, so it can haul a 4X8 sheet just fine. Any shortbox will not me able to handle the length though.
Exactly. :)

BTW, I would never ever have considered a truck bed that can't handle a 4x8 something. I can tolerate some putting style before function, but I need a truck in the end....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.