GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It seems like I saw a lot of these when I was a kid but not much anymore. My fiancee (thanks Saabr for the proper terminology) took a photo of this while riding shotgun today on I-75 north.

One could hypothesize that the owner's Chevrolet died or gave him enough trouble to make him want to scrap the rest of the truck to make a trailer to tow behind his Ford I suppose...

Then again, if the payload capacity is the same as when it was a half ton pickup, it's lower than what a typical 5x8 trailer would be.

I'm interested in seeing some modern era truck beds being used as trailers in 20 years. Least by then they'll have like 3k payload capacities even if they're half-tons :D

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
In this case, it was likely done because GM truck frames of that vintage were famous for rotting and cracking at about that point, thereby leaving you with a truck cab and frame and a bed and frame. The latter still being useful in just such occasions.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I assume it depends on local laws governing you-built vehicles
I know in Manitoba Canada a U-built trailer simply involves signing a declaration that it is built "safe" and that I was the builder
those truck box trailers are around here but I would not call them common as most trucks have rotted out by now

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In this case, it was likely done because GM truck frames of that vintage were famous for rotting and cracking at about that point, thereby leaving you with a truck cab and frame and a bed and frame. The latter still being useful in just such occasions.
lol I've seen a lot of those trucks with bad bed-to-cab alignment...I suppose that's why

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The downside with those trailers is that most people who build them don't go through the hassle of hooking up surge brakes.
The GVW of those trailers falls into requiring brakes and if you get a 1 ton truck setup with a 6,000lb axle rating that is a lot of weight for a single axle trailer, balancing wise.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I remember seeing a lot more of these as a kid also, they seem rare now, haven't seen one in a long time. I also remember a lot of trailers made with a car axle and plywood, but hardly see any anymore. But, I see more "Harbor Freight" style premade trailers Maybe so many more people are driving pickups than before that the trailer no longer is needed :D

I always did like the idea though!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.