GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Detroit Free Press
August 9, 2022

The price of many new General Motors cars are going up.

The automaker has been tacking $1,500 onto many new vehicles to cover a new connectivity package. The package is listed under options, but isn't optional at all.

Since June 2, all new Buick and GMC vehicles in the U.S. have been including three years of an OnStar and Connected Services Premium Plan found on the window sticker under "options & pricing" for $1,500.

But the three-year plan is actually standard — or rather the $1,500 will be charged whether the customer activates the OnStar and Connected services or not, GM OnStar spokeswoman Kelly Cusinato told the Free Press.

As of July 18, new retail Cadillac Escalade vehicles in the U.S. also include the OnStar and Connected Services plan. Chevrolet is currently finalizing its plans for OnStar, remote access and connectivity options through the MyChevy app and GM will be disclosing more details on it soon.

The move jibes with the automaker's plans to increase revenue by boosting its subscription offerings. Last October, GM told investors it sees software subscriptions as an $80-billion industry for the automaker in the future. Earlier this year, GM leaders said there'd be more subscription offerings to come in the next couple of years and consumers may be paying $135 a month for various subscriptions — that's on top of their car payment.

This newest $1,500 mandatory option for OnStar does not sit well with some consumers or dealers.

"We’ve had people very confused about it asking why they have to pay $1,500 for something that says it’s an option," Lynn Thompson, president of Thompson Buick GMC Cadillac in Springfield, Missouri, told the Free Press. "We say, 'We’re sorry, but we don’t price the cars.' We wish they would put it as part of the car, having an option being standard is a problem for us. Don’t put something as an option that’s not an option.”

GM said by giving car buyers OnStar and Connected Services right from the start, it will enhance their ownership experience and that's why GM made it standard.

"Providing this connectivity standard is more convenient for our customers and provides a more seamless onboarding experience," GM spokesman Patrick Sullivan said in an email to the Free Press. "The package has been offered as optional in the past, but going forward, it is standard on all Buick and GMCs."

He added, the "option is included in the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSRP Example Showing "Standard Feature" priced as Optional Equipment:

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
I will say, it's a discount compared to the monthly rate of $49.99. LOL

The only good thing about the premium plan is maybe the connected navigation. It provides real time traffic info but does it do it any better than any of the free apps we already have? I doubt it.

However, this is a pure money grab. If you're going to force this on customers than you need to let them use the phone as a key at the very least.

Compare Plans & Prices for OnStar and Connected Services

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
That they're doing this is bad enough no matter how they phrase it. But like I said in another thread, I think on this forum, is marketing should have just quietly increased the MSRP of the models by $1500 (make some dubious statement about costs and inflation) and then claim they're throwing in 3 years of OnStar standard as a benefit.

I hope they get a ton of blowback on this like BMW with their heated seat subscription and have to walk it back.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
That they're doing this is bad enough no matter how they phrase it. But like I said in another thread, I think on this forum, is marketing should have just quietly increased the MSRP of the models by $1500 (make some dubious statement about costs and inflation) and then claim they're throwing in 3 years of OnStar standard as a benefit.
That would mean that GM would be competent with marketing.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
GM and Ford know they’re in the driver’s seat now for manufacturing new vehicles. Due to the shortage and downturn, the vehicle demand has rebounded and grown quickly.

I’m convinced much of the slow build and delivery of new vehicles is by design, creating shortages and enabling the manufacturers to up-sell new vehicles with numerous features or higher trim lines that people may not want - but a forced to accept if they need (not just want) a new vehicle.

Dealers do not have to order and pay for new inventory to park on their lots. They are selling virtually all new vehicles by advance-order, or when a dealer stock vehicle arrives.

Don’t forget the current chip shortage was created by the vehicle manufacturers who cancelled their contracts and reduced their orders.

And don’t forget the ongoing messages by the manufacturers that “BEV have to cost more because.....”.

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
:mad:

Whoopie! I'm connected!!!!! Um.. connected to what?

GM's connected services are not compelling - I don't subscribe. As noted in other threads, we already pay for our phone and GM's services are largely duplicative. I've always like that onStar will call 911 if your airbags go off, but in reality, that is only a benefit if you are in a one car crash and no one else is around to call. Most accidents will have plenty of people around to call 911.

GM needs to offer something worth $1,500. otherwise what they offer now is worth, at best, $150 for the three years. And I'd still not subscribe as I see it as $150 wasted, because, again, their connected services don't offer anything I don't already have.

I currently pay around $30 (could be $35) a month for 3 gigs on my phone, that's $1,080 for 3 years. And I can take my phone with me anywhere. It's a little awkward to drag my car with me, like into the gym, for music and phone calls. Last time I tried, my car didn't fit into my shorts pocket very well and its weight unexpectedly pulled my shorts down.

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
GM has had mandatory options for some time.

Their packages often require the addition of another feature, if you wanted a certain feature (upscale sound system requires the sunroof and self dimming mirrors).
But for those, you at least get something tangible. I may not want the upgraded stereo to get the fancy seats, but at least it is something that you can point to and enjoy.

Any of the compelling things GM's connected service can do is already done by my phone. I'd literally be forced to buy something I'll never use.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,235 Posts
I will say, it's a discount compared to the monthly rate of $49.99. LOL

The only good thing about the premium plan is maybe the connected navigation. It provides real time traffic info but does it do it any better than any of the free apps we already have? I doubt it.

However, this is a pure money grab. If you're going to force this on customers than you need to let them use the phone as a key at the very least.

Compare Plans & Prices for OnStar and Connected Services
The connected navigation is good-yes but like you say it is a BS money grab and what it should do is give gm another black eye out of it...we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
So much complaining about "forced options". Sure, it's kind of a word twist, but the idea is VERY old. It's called making features standard.
I get that, and historically they've gotten away with it as you can point to that forced luxury item and know you have something tangible. At one point AC, power windows and FM radio was optional, but they are now standard and people don't complain. $1,500 for something most will never use is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

If they were offering self-driving with that $1,500 I'd be fine, even if I never use it. But this $1,500 literally offers me nothing but being $1,500 poorer.

They've been trying to make onStar a big profit generator and they can't - just close it down and stop forcing it.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
So much complaining about "forced options". Sure, it's kind of a word twist, but the idea is VERY old. It's called making features standard.
I know GM is trying to force owners to use OnStar more but unless you're in the vehicle for a long amount of time every day a lot of the things are expensive as hell for very little benefit.

·
Super Moderator
21,304 Posts
I get that, and historically they've gotten away with it as you can point to that forced luxury item and know you have something tangible. At one point AC, power windows and FM radio was optional, but they are now standard and people don't complain. $1,500 for something most will never use is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

If they were offering self-driving with that $1,500 I'd be fine, even if I never use it. But this $1,500 literally offers me nothing but being $1,500 poorer.

They've been trying to make onStar a big profit generator and they can't - just close it down and stop forcing it.
This.

I mean straw poll, does anyone here actually subscribe to OnStar past the trial period? Genuinely curious.

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
The way things are going with manufacturers and dealers jacking car ownership costs, I'm really getting turned off to car ownership. Looking forward to self driving where we just call up a car to pick us up for a fee.

What are they all thinking with these tremendous costs they are adding? Are they expecting that everyone now hold onto their cars for 10+ years? $1,500 is a lot to add to the sticker of a car. I'm certainly going to need to rethink my lifetime trend of buying a new car once I get around 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
37,218 Posts
op·tion | \ ˈäp-shən \
Definition of option
(Entry 1 of 2)
1: an act of choosing
2a: the power or right to choose : freedom of choice

Standard advertalk. Known as BS on the street and among those with IQs at or above room temperature.

Option meaning you have the option of shopping elsewhere. That's the option I'd take. Isn't YallStar a spy device like Google and all those other "handy, free!" things? Huh? OnStar isn't free? Wait.

Here, this should comfort you at night:

Amazon’s $1.7 billion acquisition of robot vacuum cleaner brand iRobot is currently the talk of the town. But despite all the ways Amazon’s ownership could make Roombas better, the overwhelming sentiment is concern about dwindling privacy and shrinking competition. If you’re already paranoid about Echo speakers listening in on your conversation, the Roomba-maker’s buyout should set off some blaring alarm bells.

Here’s a rough idea of where we currently are in our intimate relationship with the omnicorporation: Amazon knows what you’re reading, the TV shows you have left incomplete, what’s on your shopping wish list, what kind of questions you trouble Alexa with on a daily basis, who your favorite music artist is, and what the view from your porch looks like — soon, your medical history as well. With millions of Roomba vacuum cleaners soon to fall into its network, Amazon will also know your house’s floor plan, too.

“They happen to sell products, but they are a data company,” James Thomson, who served as business head of Amazon Services in the past, told BBC. Over the years, multiple investigative journalists and privacy advocates have been left flabbergasted by the sheer amount of personal data Amazon collects on each of its users, thanks to the breadth of data they offer up.

From audio recordings and Alexa transcriptions to music listening habits and which cereal brand you prefer, Amazon has all that data on you, timed to second-level chronological accuracy. The data collected by Amazon is enough to build a personal profile that law enforcement agencies want to get their hands on far too often.

If you’re hoping all that data is handled securely, there’s some disappointment awaiting you. According to internal documents reviewed by Wired, Amazon’s vast cache of customer data is an open buffet for its employees, and even the company’s own security team has no idea how the data was flowing.

Yes friends, your homies at Spy Agency Amazon can look, listen, and they already know your floor plan. BUT IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! o_O:(

·
Super Moderator
21,769 Posts
This.

I mean straw poll, does anyone here actually subscribe to OnStar past the trial period? Genuinely curious.
I used to, but I won't once my free onstar lapses on my CT4. My commute used to be long and I liked the idea of it self-calling 911 if I were in an accident. I also found out that the onStar diagnostics were more or less a farce - couldn't tell you much - "yup, your idiot light is on, bright it to the dealer" - the couple of times I called for that was as useful as a box of rocks.

What OnStar does is simply not worth it for the cost. The Safety package is worth $5 a month tops, not the $25 or so they charge.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts