GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Edmunds - Insideline

PEBBLE BEACH, California — The world got its first official look at the 2009 Infiniti G37 convertible on Saturday, as the automaker unveiled a photo of the car at the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The G37 convertible, with a three-piece automatic retractable hardtop, will go on sale in the spring of 2009.

Infiniti is not known for a slow striptease of its products, including photo debuts. But it appears to have felt compelled to show something well in advance of the Los Angeles auto show.

"We've had a lot of bad photos out there," explained Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore to Inside Line on Friday when asked about the G37 convertible. "We want consumers to see how beautiful the car is. So many people have tried to Photoshop it out on the Internet using a photo of the G coupe. We want to make sure there is an accurate representation of it."

The G37 convertible in the picture is noteworthy because it bears a unique ice blue paint job — actually silver with a blue tint. Bazemore confirmed that the new color will be available on the production G37 convertible.

Infiniti is being stingy with other details, however. Bazemore would not speculate on a price for the G37 convertible. Infiniti said the G37 convertible will be equipped with the same 3.7-liter V6 as the G coupe. But where the coupe churns out 330 horsepower, the G37 convertible is expected to deliver around "320 plus" hp, according to the automaker.

Bazemore also said that, despite rumors to the contrary, no G37 convertible is on the grounds at Pebble Beach this weekend.

What this means to you: Ignore those intrepid Photoshoppers. The real picture of the 2009 Infiniti G37 convertible finally hits the streets. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I am actually shocked as to how well proportioned it is. Unlike the Volvo, EOS, and Sebring, they have WAY too much rear overhang, this is nice!! Still a chick car, especially any convertible.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
although I'm blowing my cover at where I originally posted about this...

it doesn't look that good to me
just don't believe that much 'modern' styling suits convertibles ...or vice-versa
(esp. midsize ones)
...like they Need their rooflines to complete their ~themes~

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
I am actually shocked as to how well proportioned it is. Unlike the Volvo, EOS, and Sebring, they have WAY too much rear overhang, this is nice!! Still a chick car, especially any convertible.
Sharp ride. I do take issue with the chick car comment. This one may be but there are plenty of convertibles that are not.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Yes, the three-piece hardtop really helps shorten rear end length. AFAIK, the 3 series is the only other 3-piece hardtop (all the others are 2-piece).

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It actually kind of looks like an SC430...
I was thinking the same thing....faint praise at best. But it does look better than Eos and Volvo. I guess the regular coupe looks so darn sexy, the convertible is a let down, for me anyway.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
although I'm blowing my cover at where I originally posted about this...

it doesn't look that good to me
just don't believe that much 'modern' styling suits convertibles ...or vice-versa
(esp. midsize ones)
...like they Need their rooflines to complete their ~themes~
I agree completely.

jry said:
I do take issue with the chick car comment. This one may be but there are plenty of convertibles that are not.
No, there are not. Not even the Corvette convertable. Nothing modern anyway. Only classics could be the exception.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
I agree completely.

No, there are not. Not even the Corvette convertable. Nothing modern anyway. Only classics could be the exception.
Well, that is your opinion. Bentleys are not, Vettes are not (especially a 6sp manual) the BMW 6, Camaro, Challenger and if they would have made the 300C 2 door. I disagree with you in this. but i respect your opinion.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Well, that is your opinion. Bentleys are not, Vettes are not (especially a 6sp manual) the BMW 6, Camaro, Challenger and if they would have made the 300C 2 door. I disagree with you in this. but i respect your opinion.
I'll give you the 300C if it's left a 4-door, and the Bently is a tough one. But if you're getting a 'Vette with a 6sp and want some extra air, get the Targa...Targas rule! :woot:

BRING BACK THE T-TOP! :cool: :yup:

Targa > Convertable

Also, the Saturn SKY is a convertable I'd drive and own, but it's gotta be a Red Line. The Solstice convertable, total chick car however. The Solstice coupe, not so much. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts