1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I dont really think anybody knows whats actually going on inside Chrysler and with this GM/Chrysler "merger"...

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts had always been that this engine was too far along to just scrap.
not only that but some of their other projects seem to be going full steam ahead as well. The HD trucks are still being tested and I have started seeing a handful of Fiat 500s out and about at and in the general area of CTC which indicates that Chrysler's A segment project is still possibly alive and well

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the craziest spelling of "Phoenix" that I have ever seen.

Shoot, maybe these engines will replace GM's 3.6L! Wack times we're in.

Never could spell that word quite right but the fact that the Phoenix project is still alive is a good sign

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
It will probably give GM's current 3.6 a run for the mony from what I hear. Chryslers V6's are lacking in updates. The 2.7 now dates back to 1998 and has actually seen a power drop from 200 down to 178 in the large cars and 189 in the mid sizers. The 3.7 liter truck engine is still the same 215 HP as it was in 2004 and could benefit the same changes as it's 4.7 liter V8 brother got last year. The 3.5 and 4.0 SOHC engines are nothing special in NVH or power/mileage and the Caravans 3.3 and 3.8 OHV motors are ancient and look really bad on paper with 175 and 197 HP repectively. The Generals 3.5 VVT has 224 HP and the 3900 VVT has 233/240 depending on application and both are reworked pushrods V6's so this just shows the lack of development dollars spent on there current line of V6 engines so I would expect the Phoenix line to virtually replace all or most of these engines in differing displacements and power levels.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Better power and fuel efficiency.
Lower nvh
MDS across the board, with significant improvements to the design.

From a production standpoint, lines are fully modular, so all kinds of sizes and configs are possible.

It's a next gen motor through and through.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Every time they claim to kill the Phoenix project it seems to rise from the ashes...
(sorry).
Nice. :D

The GM 3.6 is decent, definitely better than Chrysler's current V6s. But it's not great. The only version I know that gets very competitive fuel economy is the SIDI (cylinder direct fuel injection) in the Outlook, Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave.

Everywhere else, competing engines make similar power and equal or better fuel economy. If the Phoenix engines can do better, that's a nice thing for Chrysler.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My thoughts had always been that this engine was too far along to just scrap.
Yeah, but then again, GM had working prototypes of the Ultra V8 too and canceled it....

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Yeah, but then again, GM had working prototypes of the Ultra V8 too and canceled it....
That's because GM already has excellent, class leading V8s. They didn't need the DOHC V8. Chrysler's V6 engines aren't very good. They need new ones. If phoenix is better than the 3.6L, then I'd expect GM to take phoenix and run with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts