·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Optra pushes Chevy to 3rd place in passenger car category
By Alexander Villafania
INQ7.net
Philippine Daily Inquirer

AMERICAN car brand Chevrolet continues to gain foothold in the Philippine market in the passenger car category with the Optra series.

Based on the latest report of the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines, the Chevrolet Optra, locally distributed by General Motors Automobiles Philippines Inc., is at number 3 in the 1.6-liter passenger car category.

The Optra boosted Chevrolet's market share in this category to 17 percent. The Toyota Altis and the Honda Civic continue to be ranked numbers one and two respectively.

"With the very positive reception on Chevrolet Optra, we are very happy to note the market's brisk product uptake. We are optimistic that GM Philippines can continue to make headway in the industry as more and more customers look for combined value and style for their automotive investments," says GMPh's sales and marketing director Nicky Mariano.

The Chevrolet Optra, which was just introduced in August last year, is available in two variants: the 650,000-peso manual transmission and 690,000-peso automatic. Color choices include black sapphire, star silver, Thai gold metallic, shanghai red and denim blue.

The Optra's sleek design was done by renowned Italian car design group Pininfarina -- the same group that molded the looks of many models of the Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, and Maserati.

Full Article Here

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
glad GM doesn't have all its eggs in one basket... and while 3 billion poured into china is a big investment, at least they're forging ahead in india and the philippines and korea (with their GMDAT vehicles), along with their continued effort in north america and europe. if china busts, they won't be as vulnerable as if they weren't attacking other markets.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 18 2004, 09:37 AM
The Optra's sleek design was done by renowned Italian car design group Pininfarina -- the same group that molded the looks of many models of the Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, and Maserati.
This is the same group to blame for the disaster called 'Aveo'.
They oughtta be fired!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Aveo was butchered by designers somewhere else. Originally, I think it worked quite well - just my opinion, mind you.

The Kalos 5-door, untouched by beancounters and flunkie designers looks like this:

·
Registered
296 Posts
The one with the little body kit and rims looks alright, however, the base one looks far worse than the chevy varient. I think the changes they made to the design were for the better...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Originally posted by Askani@Jun 18 2004, 12:53 PM
The one with the little body kit and rims looks alright, however, the base one looks far worse than the chevy varient. I think the changes they made to the design were for the better...
What he said

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Jun 18 2004, 03:46 PM
This is the same group to blame for the disaster called 'Aveo'.
i'm curious man... do you call it a 'disaster' because it's just a small dinky car, or because it's not competitive in its market? not challenging your statement here... i just wonder which way it is. do you just not like tiny cars to begin with, or do you think this is a particularly bad example of a subcompact?

·
Registered
643 Posts
GM could use more help on subcompacts. The aveo will be a competitive car, but I don't think its going to sell as well as they would like.

As for the optra, good looking car

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
The Optra is fine mobile. The Aveo needs a face lift it is ugly and uglier with the black plastic bumper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts