GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jesus. I ended up watching the little guy and a couple of his friends today and we were watching PBS.

Anyway, there was a cartoon on, click and clack or something.

It is a cartoon about mechanics who run a radio show. The lost a sponsor so they needed a new one. Their new sponsor? Gigantic Motors (GM). The vehicle Gigantic Motors required them to promote to keep the sponsorship...the "Compensator" (wonder what that meant...)

They of course have a revelation and refuse to promote it because it was ruining their carbon footprint. So during their show they start bashing (Gigantic Motors) and saying the next version will come with it's own oil rig, and it is so big it comes with two spare HUMMERS in the back...

Obviously I don't spend much time watching PBS, but if this is what these kids are being fed, I'm disgusted.

They know they can get away with it because parents usually are not watching because TV is the babysitter.

I'm disgusted. When I was little it was Sesame Street and Arthur and things like that...this is bull****.

Bunch of libbie BS is what this is. They are training a whole generation to hate GM (you find anyone that doesn't know that Gigantic Motors was supposed to be GM...)

So now add PBS to the list of American companies that hate American products.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
...Looks like PBS hired their new propaganda minister...

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I tried watching the show but couldn't stand it, it was horrible. I would rather listen to them answer questions on the radio than this BS. Dumb

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It's a joke, for Christ's sake. Whether or not you think it's funny shouldn't be an indication of whether PBS hates American automakers.

If they'd said "Toyandamw" instead of "Gigantic Motors", would people here be saying "PBS hates imports" or "it's funny because it's true"?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
It's a joke, for Christ's sake. Whether or not you think it's funny shouldn't be an indication of whether PBS hates American automakers.

If they'd said "Toyandamw" instead of "Gigantic Motors", would people here be saying "PBS hates imports" or "it's funny because it's true"?
Yeah I mean let's take a step back from the BS here :D

Obviously GM as the long dominant player in the industry and also being a household term for a huge conglomerate it makes sense...

And Click and Clack well I mean if you've heard of them they are like that...

Now if FRONTLINE did something like that...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts

Well, I think it was almost a political statement. Think about it, GM has massive SUVs. They have a reputation of building huge trucks and SUVs with poor fuel economy. Toyota, on the other hand, has a green reputation with cars like the prius. It wouldn't make sense to use toyota. Plus, it makes for a good show, let's make fun of big bad GM, with their big, stupid SUVs. Especially with today's anti-GM crowd, I bet they got a few more viewers that day.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yes, that show was a political statement. What was described here is one of the single most blatant propaganda pieces I've heard of yet on T.V. Had I been watching the rugrats, I would have promptly changed the channel, and then explained to them in simplified terms about what propaganda is, and why it's bad.

5,934 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,886 Posts
PBS is not an American corporation, it's supposedly a government-sponsored Public Broadcasting Service.

Like most major driveby media, it went hard a-port long ago.

If you've ever listened to Click and Clack, you will know they are carbon-dumbed-down leftists who never met a toyletter or honda or subaru they didn't like, and who habitually ignore or disrespect the Amurrican makers.

Their level of automotive expertise, considering they claim to be MIT graduates and have operated an auto repair shop near Boston for 20+ years, is pretty limited.

Pious is god, VW is king, Honda is sainted, soobie is granola drive...

In other words, a bunch of arsewholes. :yup:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Shouldn't you be off writing your next article on why the Matrix is better than the Vibe?

Seriously, if you actually watched the whole thing you couldn't say that it wasn't a political statement.

There was talk about the truck melting the ice caps and putting their shop under water and that it was producing so much carbon and then there was talk about Hummers.

Also, it wouldn't be about Toyota because they get the image of being perfect despite the fact that they sell lots of inefficient trucks that get worse economy than GM vehicles.

And if the show did use them, it would not be funny and would still be pathetic.

It was blatant anti American Grade A bullcrap.

And I don't give two ****s if the people are funny and sarcastic in real life, this is a cartoon marketed to children who are just starting to learn about the world and vehicles. And quite obviously it was intended to get little Jimmie to tell mom and dad to get rid of their big truck.

They are throwing their political views in the face of moldable children, and most people don't know it because not many adults watch PBS with their children. It would be like advertising cigarettes in a skateboarding magazine, adults wouldn't know it because it isn't a medium they spend much time with.

There isn't a bit of doubt that it was a political statement.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
All I can say is that my kids will know what GM vehicle is built off what platform, using which engines and transmissions, and built at what assembly plant before they can add/subtract.
And they wouldn't watch crap like that show.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
If you are interested, you can watch that episode here:

http://www.pbs.org/wrenchturns/video/5

I started watching some of it, and I have to say it's pretty bad. Practically unwatchable. Not because of the GM thing, just in general it's comes off as bad to me. That's saying something because I can watch most cartoons. Of course I'm not a fan of Click and Clack so maybe that's why I didn't like it.

I have to say that my first reaction is that logansowner was overreacting (he seems a bit high strung lately). But after watching part of the episode I have to agree that he is on to something. It definitely came across like it was written by someone who was an extremest in their views on cars. Every stereotype of SUV's and the people who build them (and buy them) was taken to the nth degree. (Example: Click and Clack get a GIANT new SUV to drive, but the producer has to ride in the cargo compartment because it's only a 2 seater :rolleyes:).

The bright side to this is that it won't last long. As I said, it's pretty bad.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Shouldn't you be off writing your next article on why the Matrix is better than the Vibe?

Seriously, if you actually watched the whole thing you couldn't say that it wasn't a political statement.

There was talk about the truck melting the ice caps and putting their shop under water and that it was producing so much carbon and then there was talk about Hummers.

Also, it wouldn't be about Toyota because they get the image of being perfect despite the fact that they sell lots of inefficient trucks that get worse economy than GM vehicles.

And if the show did use them, it would not be funny and would still be pathetic.

It was blatant anti American Grade A bullcrap.

And I don't give two ****s if the people are funny and sarcastic in real life, this is a cartoon marketed to children who are just starting to learn about the world and vehicles. And quite obviously it was intended to get little Jimmie to tell mom and dad to get rid of their big truck.

They are throwing their political views in the face of moldable children, and most people don't know it because not many adults watch PBS with their children. It would be like advertising cigarettes in a skateboarding magazine, adults wouldn't know it because it isn't a medium they spend much time with.

There isn't a bit of doubt that it was a political statement.
Is that comparable to the blatant brain-washing of children by PBS with such programmes as Barney and Sesame Street that "everyone is special" and "everyone is equal" and etc etc?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are interested, you can watch that episode here:

http://www.pbs.org/wrenchturns/video/5

I started watching some of it, and I have to say it's pretty bad. Practically unwatchable. Not because of the GM thing, just in general it's comes off as bad to me. That's saying something because I can watch most cartoons. Of course I'm not a fan of Click and Clack so maybe that's why I didn't like it.

I have to say that my first reaction is that logansowner was overreacting (he seems a bit high strung lately). But after watching part of the episode I have to agree that he is on to something. It definitely came across like it was written by someone who was an extremest in their views on cars. Every stereotype of SUV's and the people who build them (and buy them) was taken to the nth degree. (Example: Click and Clack get a GIANT new SUV to drive, but the producer has to ride in the cargo compartment because it's only a 2 seater :rolleyes:).

The bright side to this is that it won't last long. As I said, it's pretty bad.
Yea, I've been letting my political views start to ramble on quite a bit lately. Comes with not having much to do. I might have over reacted some, but I am pretty sure it was a smack against GM.

I'll try to calm er down a bit, find something to do lol

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that comparable to the blatant brain-washing of children by PBS with such programmes as Barney and Sesame Street that "everyone is special" and "everyone is equal" and etc etc?
Hmmmph, I think my opinion on everyone being equal has been made clear in the past...:lmao: That's why trailer park dwellers should be given monthly checks to compensate for their income being lower than that of a doctors...because after all, they are equal :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts