GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Patent Filing: Next Generation Chevrolet Colorado?
The U.S. patent office strikes again!
www.gminsidenews.com
June 29, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Recently the U.S. Patent Office has been the source of several General Motors future product leaks. The government agency has been notorious as of late for publishing design patents on new GM products and it appears as if they have struck again. Yesterday GM was issued a design patent on what appears to be a new Chevrolet small truck.

The design patent is the brainchild of several GM designers. The majority of the designers listed on the patent list Brazil as their residency. This comes as little surprise as GM executives have mentioned in the past that South America would spearhead development on small trucks. The patent also listed two designers from the Detroit area.

According to the patent, the design was filed on November23, 2009, suggesting that this is a very recent project.

It is not entirely clear which Chevrolet truck this design is slated for. GMI sources have stated that Colorado replacement is in the works, but the program has been in flux over the last year. Last month spy photographers caught what they claimed is an all-new 2012 Colorado. The design patent seems to fit with spy shots- at least what little is visible in the shots.
GMI sources have also stated that a new Colorado will likely be produced at GM’s currently idled Spring Hill, Tennessee plant. Colorado and GMC Canyon are currently built in Shreveport, Louisiana; however GM left that facility behind in their June 2009 bankruptcy.

Sources at the Spring Hill facility have informed GMI that die kits for a “new small truck” will be arriving at Spring Hill towards the end of the year for testing. In the last few weeks several rumors have been going around the Spring Hill facility about a small truck.

Considering the patent’s Brazilian linage, it is entirely possible that the design is slated for use in South America and not for those of us in the North. However, based on what our sources have told us, we feel this is the next Chevrolet Colorado.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Looks like the Uplander/Malibu/Aveo design language will live on. Wonderful. And that cool **** they did below the 900's side windows. Oh, we've got a little Chevy Luv thrown in too. Sweet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i dont know why but those taillights looks retro to me. and the front fascia is car-like

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Doesn't look very ground breaking...

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Keep it small and efficient. You know actually differentiated from Silverado and it will sell a ton.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I wish it had a lower ride height like the older S10. More mini truck like.

·
Super Moderator
20,909 Posts
Keep it small and efficient. You know actually differentiated from Silverado and it will sell a ton.
Seriously. My dad and I were just talking the other day about what we would get if we wanted a new truck and decided there was basically no point in getting a Canyon instead of a Sierra.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It had better get the same ecotec ad in the Equinox as a base engine to make this truck get 30+ mpg and finally beat the Rangers 29mpg rating

·
Registered
831 Posts
Are those some sort of snaps along the topside of the bed? Perhaps to lock down a cap for extra seating? That would make sense as this picture shows what looks like a gasket around the back window. Wasn't there a concept of something similar a few years back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Needs a small diesel with a manual trans to get real good fuel mileage. Since GM owns 50% of VM Motori they could get 4 cyl diesel last used in Jeep Liberty in US and still being used in Europe to comply with US standards.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts