GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CNN has a story of the passing of Pat Tillman. A member of the US Army, Pat joined the military after the 9/11 tragedy even though he was a member of the Cardinals professional football team.
Instead of making millions playing for the Cardinals, he opted to serve his country.

As a vet, I salute this young man.
As a senior citizen, one can have heroes younger than you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read Pat's story on FoxNews.com; this is a true American hero. The article even mentioned how he turned down a more lucrative contract with another team while he was playing for the Cardinals because he wanted to stay with the NFL team who signed him. I just hope the press doesn't turn it into a over-hyped sad story about how the war is costing too much. Wars cost lives, but those who serve do so knowingly, and they deserve great honor indeed. Tillman's is a story that demonstrates the best and highest values of America, and his choices give me great pride in this country and its people.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
This man is an inspiration, and a reminder that there is something each of us can do for our fighting men and women.

While few of us have both the opportunity and moral strength to make the kind of sacrifice this man has made for the rest of us, we can all do something, even if it amounts to what seems to be only a minor contribution.

If anyone here is looking for some way to answer a call to duty, I would encourage you to get in touch with organizations like this one who provide badly needed support for the families of service men and women fighting overseas.

Also, don't forget to stop and thank service men, women, and vets whenever you get a chance.

BTW 69nova, thank you for your service to our country. B)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I was very impressed with Tillman when he left the NFL for the Army and refused to make a big deal out of it. He was a soldier just like the rest of us.

SGT Poth
USA

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
"I'm proud to be an American, because at least I know I'm free."

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
During the American Revolution only 1/3 of the people were pro revolution. 1/3 were pro British and the other 1/3 went where the wind was blowing. We owe our freedom to that 1/3. Tillman was the type that was pro revolution. The country was attacked and he wanted to do something about it. It is always the FEW not the MANY. You gave more than most of the idiots in the country will ever understand or give. SEMPER FI. Rest in eternal peace.

·
Registered
419 Posts
An honest to God American hero, that is the only way that I can think of to describe Pat Tillman. I was deeply saddened today when I heard the news of his passing in Afganistan; though there really are not words to describe how great of an individual and an American we lost today.

You see, living in Phoenix I got to see Pat Tillman play football on a regular basis, all the way from when he was at Arizona State to when he was with the Arizona Cardinals. As a Cardinal season ticket holder, I had the priviledge of watching him play three seasons in the pros, and I say priviledge because of the way that he played the game. There are very few players that play with the heart and effort that he did; his heart was probably the only reason that he was able to play in the NFL. In a day in age where you hear about players like Randy Moss "taking plays off," Pat Tillman gave 110% all the time that he was on the field. He played so hard that when he was a rookie trying to make the team at training camp the coaches had to tell him to slow down out of fear that he might injure the other players.

While he was with the Cardinals, I had what I now consider the honor of meeting him personally. Ironically, it was at a local Pontiac dealership. They had him there one saturday as a promotion, and at the time I wanted to get a Grand Prix GTP. I headed down there, and when I got there I asked about him being there think they might bring me inside to where he was signing autographs, but instead they brought him out to me. I was a bit surprised, and it turned out that the dealership had given him a GTP to have for a few days as a part of their deal. Somehow I ended up taking a ride with him in the car. Let's just say it made for an interesting demo ride, but we talked for probalbly ten minutes. He struck me as a very genuine person at the time. Really I had just wanted to get his autograph, which I never did, but I came away with something much more valuable.

When I heard that he had joined the Army, I was surprised, but it was not really a shock. It seemed like the sort of thing that he would do, and I knew that he would excel at it, just as he did at football. That is exactly what did as a Ranger. He had served in Iraq and was serving in Afganistan.

I had always expected him to return to the Cardinals after he was through with his military commitment; it was just the sort of challenge that he would have relished. Unfortunately, that day will never come. Now all we can do is look back at what this man acomplished in his 27 years on this earth. He was a great American and above all a great man. God bless Pat Tillman and all of our servicemen and women.

May he rest in peace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts