GM Inside News Forum banner

Paris Motor Show: New Chevrolet Orlando Concept

4K views 41 replies 37 participants last post by  08HYT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Paris Debut For Chevrolet Orlando Concept

GM Holden
2 October 2008
www.holden.com.au

GM Holden’s international reputation for building show stopping cars will be further enhanced with the public reveal of the Chevrolet Orlando, at the Paris Motor Show on 4 October.

Designed at GM’s global design centre in Bupyeong, Korea, the show car was built at GM’s Technical Centre in Port Melbourne, Australia before being shipped to Paris.

GM Holden’s Design Director, Tony Stolfo said the design team based in Australia had a great track record within General Motors for building world class show cars.

“With concepts such as EFIJY and Coupe 60 receiving fantastic international coverage, we have gained a strong reputation in this area,” Mr Stolfo said.

“It’s a testament to the expertise found here in Australia that we were asked to be part of this global collaboration.”

Orlando’s unique design explores the potential of combining the versatility attributes of a sport utility, a family van and a wagon in a single execution.

A seven-seat multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) with distinctive sport-utility-like design, Orlando boasts adaptable seating and impressive interior space.

With flared fenders instead of a flat side-body, Orlando has a muscular stance that gives it the appearance of a sport utility vehicle, yet offers dynamic ride and handling and easy entry thanks to its car-based architecture.

The spacious cabin can be quickly transformed into a large cargo area. A generous 2,760mm wheelbase and wide front and rear tracks provide Orlando with outstanding interior roominess.

Inside, the design meets the needs of families with adaptable, theatre-style seating in three rows that comfortably accommodate up to seven occupants. Infotainment options, navigation and plenty of storage space make practical additions.

A range of occupant and load-carrying configurations is provided by 60/40 second-row and 50/50 third-row split folding seating.

Design details include a centre stack recess to hold a personal device such as iPod or MP3 player when it is connected to the USB or Aux ports.

The ice-blue theme for instrument illumination is also used on the exterior of Orlando in the laser-etched surfacing of the headlamps, tail lights and full-length glass roof.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Paris: Real life Orlando Pics

OH WOW! The radio pivots up and there is a storage area behind it! Thats smart!! Plug your MP3 and iPod in there, right to the radio without wires sticking out. SMART!

Anyone wana tell me why the engine cover is going longways, not sideways? Is this a longitudally mounted engine?

#6 ·

This thing looks great!! This sould of been our Traverse! But since its not, they need to make this a little smaller and produce it as a next-gen HHR!!

#30 ·

hopefully that will be the next gen HHR. but im sure we will get screwed over, and something will happen so they wont build it.

I second that motion. Although the current HHR is retro, this would be a great 21st century version!:yup:

#11 ·

Pretty freaking cool if you ask me! I rather like this, even though I really don't like the idea of another 7-seater crossover-ish thing.

Really cool though..

-Chase

#13 ·

I refuse to EVER buy a GM product.

...solely because GM deliberately chooses to ignore us sensible buyers and deny us this funky wagon! No GM, I don't want your porky half-baked Equitorrent or your huge Encladiaverse. I want 3-row seating in a small, parkable package.

Shame, because my toddler son just loves the Orlando! He just did his "Pee Wee Herman" dance when I showed him the pics!

Hell this thing could sell on style alone! It's versatility is merely a plus.

BTW does it feature Opel's "Flex-7" seating?

#16 ·

We would almost definitely buy one of these if it were to come here. I was commenting to my wife about how GM needed a smaller SUV to compete with the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, etc. Something smaller and more fuel efficient than the Equinox. It's a shame. First we have to wait 2 years to get the Cruze, several years to get the Beat, and now this.

#19 ·

We would almost definitely buy one of these if it were to come here. I was commenting to my wife about how GM needed a smaller SUV to compete with the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, etc. Something smaller and more fuel efficient than the Equinox. It's a shame. First we have to wait 2 years to get the Cruze, several years to get the Beat, and now this.
This is a crossover however its not a crossover SUV really its too low to the ground and just doesn't offer SUV styling.

#20 ·

Here is some pictures i found on a Chinese auto website, they claim these are the production version of Orlando testing in China, i am not too sure if someone had already posted them somewhere

Link
They are scheduled to build it, just not for the U.S.

Buick Riviera, You got something to back up your statement?

#23 ·

I like it, it is better then I initially thought. Too bad it may not come to the US, and even worse it wont have the 2.0l diesel (I will get flamed for that I am sure).

#25 ·

I really wish GM would sell this here. I won't ever need a real 7 passenger SUV/CUV, but one that could occasionally hold 7 without punishing me by being too big to park and too thirsty to drive w/o watching the gas guage the whole time would be great.

Like I've said before, there's always the Mazda5.

#26 ·

Can someone please explain it to me why the US isn't getting this? or why GM isn't getting the picture? Don't get my wrong, the CUV's are nice and sell well, but this could be the perfect people hauler for those who are not interested in utility....like me.

#27 ·

Anyone else see the potential for this as a smaller version of the GMC Savana etc, not necessarily for the airport shuttle, more the work van for tradesmen, might have more appeal outside of the USA like in Europe where roads etc can be narrower.

#38 ·

Anyone else see the potential for this as a smaller version of the GMC Savana etc, not necessarily for the airport shuttle, more the work van for tradesmen, might have more appeal outside of the USA like in Europe where roads etc can be narrower.
I wish they would. I'd be great to drive one of these in Manhattan.

#28 ·

Anybody know the sales numbers on the Mazda CX-7. This should give us an idea on it's business case since that'll be the closest thing we have to it currently. Could be wrong, but I don't know of any other mpv's running around.

#29 ·

Anybody know the sales numbers on the Mazda CX-7. This should give us an idea on it's business case since that'll be the closest thing we have to it currently. Could be wrong, but I don't know of any other mpv's running around.
The CX-7 is a sporty turbocharged 5-seater.

The Orlando is more of a Kia Rondo competitor. They are both economic, small 6/7-seaters with traditional doors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.