GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear GMi Colleagues:

I need to get a set of four splash guards painted to match my DTS. It is one of the dreaded tri-coat colors - Cognac Frost: WA-472P. I am seeking your advice as to the best place for me to get this paint work done.

I am looking for the best person to handle this tri-coat job on these GM flexible plastic splash guards. Living in Ottawa I don't mind traveling for a couple of hours or sending the job out through the mail so please don't hesitate to make any suggestions.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so get this. I telephoned the two large Cadillac dealers in town and asked their body shops how much it would cost to do the four splash guards with my tri-coat paint. Both described a similar procedures with preparation, prime, basecoat, midcoat and clearcoat.

Myers quoted me $480. Belilse quoted $100.

I'm left with more questions than I started with.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There's a guy here who does excellent work. He's ran his own shop for at least a few years and seems to be reasonably priced. If I can find his cell number I'll PM it to you.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called someone I know at Myers today and he confirmed their $480 quote as valid. As he said: "that's the price here." So I went to Belisle. Their price came out to $184. Hopefully all will work out as expected.

Thanks to all for your support.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to close the loop on this one, here is the installed and painted front right splash guard.

I felt that having the splash guards painted all of the way in such a light colour would have attracted far too much attention to them as well as being more subject to scratching and road debris. As a result I asked that they only be painted to the bottom of the rocker. The inside of the guards, facing the tire, were also left unpainted.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the installed and painted rear left splash guard.

Thanks to all for your collegiality.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Okay, so get this. I telephoned the two large Cadillac dealers in town and asked their body shops how much it would cost to do the four splash guards with my tri-coat paint. Both described a similar procedures with preparation, prime, basecoat, midcoat and clearcoat.

Myers quoted me $480. Belilse quoted $100.
$480!!!! Holy crap!!!!

I had some bodywork and painting done there on a car several years ago (insurance job after some ****wad stole my stereo) and the total cost was about $1200. I can't remember if that was before or after they joined CARSTAR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts