GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this Forbes feature on past and present overhyped cars. Forbes isn't exactly the most astute automotive resource, but I thought their perspective on these cars was interesting:

Overhyped Cars, Past and Present

Here is the quick rundown...

Overhyped cars of the present
• Ford Thunderbird
• Hummer H1
• Jaguar X-Type
• Pontiac Aztek
• Volkswagen Phaeton

Overhyped cars of the past
• AMC Pacer
• Chrysler TC By Maserati
• Ford Taurus SHO
• Lincoln Blackwood
• Pontiac Fiero

The feature also includes some other lists, such as "Worst vehicles of all time".

BTW, the actual presentation of this piece is really obnoxious once you start looking at the slide show to see each vehicle. Unless you click the Stop button after each slide, you will inevitably be cut off in the middle of reading about the vehicle or looking at the picture. Just another example of some Bozo wanting to use a computer programming capability to do something no one asked for. <_<

Have fun... B)

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Here's my list.....

Jaguars - all of them. The only good thing out of Britain was the AC Cunningham body when Shelby dropped a Ford drive train into some to create the Cobra.

Mercedes Benz's- As Consumer's Reports rated them unreliable. Worst thing somebody can do is buy one second hand. Imagine paying for parts and service on these?

Acura's RSX- Everytime I look at its rear with those cheap lights, I wonder why own one.

Honda's Element- If I wanted something that looked like a box, I'd buy a box.

Hummer- Cannot understand people purchasing one for urban/suburban traffic. An enlistment office is probably around the corner for those wannabes. Can be rugged in a 1/2 ton pick up too yet be able to haul something.

·
Registered
633 Posts
LS1's yea there good but shut up aleady.

60's muscle cars... yea they are cool, ever go back to your childhood school. Seems a little less doesn't it.... same applies here.

on the other hand... NOT over hyped cars

Grand National

Toyota Supra

2003/04 Cobra

Zo6 Vette

Skyline

Porsche

Ferrari

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The Skyline NOT overhyped? Come on...like every car in Gran Turismo, it's hyped just correctly....LOL

·
Registered
633 Posts
"Geronimo:

Not overhyped? Grand National? Supra? Skyline? C'mon! Where have you been over the past decade and a half?"

You have lost me... are you saying that these ARE or ARE NOT overhyped???

I am saying that theses are very NOT over hyped cars.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Skyline overhyped?
I've never seen one on the road so I cannot really say that they are under hyped either. Sort of the phanthom car that every tuner talks about.
Ferrari underhyped? Buy a vette and a house.

AC Bristol? Cunningham? You may be correct. All I know is the first time I saw a Cobra, I was drawn to it like a moth to light. Now, that is a nice body.

Going back to your school well taken. Like I said in another thread, most of the muscle cars sit in garages and are taken out on Sundays. But, then again, you can say this about Ferraris.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I love muscle cars, but it seems that every "old guy" that lived through the 60's will tell you how fast all the cars were. In reality there are 4bangers running around that would trounce many of the famed muscle cars of the day.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
They were fast. And they could have been faster. Didn't have the rubber technology in the 60's-many a hemi got beat because the drive train couldn't hook up with the road due to the tires.
I guess you must take in the muscle car era in total. It was easier to work on the motors since the engine bays had more room. Emissions were almost non-existent so that fuel and exhaust systems were much simpler. With GM's 350 and 400 hydromatics, who had tranny problems? One could go to the junk yard and pick up a perfectly good drive train.
Everybody remembers the good things.

Now, not having to coax your motor to start on a cold morning really made me happy when I purchased my first car with fuel injection. No more changing points once a year. Disk brakes instead of all-drum brakes (Ever get these wet? You'd almost go through the windshield the first time you applied the brake). Technology is a good thing.

One of the Chevy mags had an article about a guy who owned 69 and 96 (?) Camaros. In short, the 69 attracted attention wherever he went but when it came time to drive a long distance, it was the 96 that he opted for. Both cars turned in 1/4 miles in the 10's so they were both warmed over. I think that his assessments were correct.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
In the US, the Skyline is not overhyped. Everywhere else in the world, it is probably the most overhyped car ever.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The sad thing is that the Pontiac Fiero really could have been something special but the wrong people were running things then. Could you imagine what a Lutz Fiero would have been like?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Even with Lutz the Fiero would have been what it was then. Nice looking but poor performing. Just like the Soltice will be. Nothing will ever step on the Vettes toes, Chevy has to much internal power.

The Syclone came close but got a wave due to it being a truck.

How can you call a car that delivers like the Skyline overhyped in any country. I think that with 1200-1600HP skylines running around and putting it to the ground that it has more than proven itself.

Would you call the Vette overhyped.... the Skyline is the Vette for Japan. Hmmm a 500hp, AWD, AWS, bullitproof vette....

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Apr 29 2004, 10:52 AM
In the US, the Skyline is not overhyped.  Everywhere else in the world, it is probably the most overhyped car ever.
'Cept if you read SuperStreet or Import Racer or one of those type mags where a Skyline seems to hit the cover every month. :lol: "Its titz dOOd!"

Oh, and the Infiniti G35 is the new Skyline in Japan...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Apr 29 2004, 08:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Apr 29 2004, 08:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811@Apr 29 2004, 10:52 AM
In the US, the Skyline is not overhyped.  Everywhere else in the world, it is probably the most overhyped car ever.
'Cept if you read SuperStreet or Import Racer or one of those type mags where a Skyline seems to hit the cover every month. :lol: "Its titz dOOd!"

Oh, and the Infiniti G35 is the new Skyline in Japan... [/b][/quote]
i believe the new skyline is under nissan in japan while, in north america, the G35x is the skyline. i think that's right

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The current Monte Carlo/SS is over hyped.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu+Apr 29 2004, 02:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mackingu @ Apr 29 2004, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 08:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811
@Apr 29 2004, 10:52 AM

Oh, and the Infiniti G35 is the new Skyline in Japan...
i believe the new skyline is under nissan in japan while, in north america, the G35x is the skyline. i think that's right [/b][/quote]
All G35s are known as Skylines in Japan. BTW, I'm talking about the previous generation Skyline (R34) which is overhyped. But, I don't see why not.

WHOEVER SAID THE BULLETPROOF VETTE THING:

Wow! Yup, the Skyline is what the Vette is to America. It's funny how the Japanese mafia drives Nissan Glorias and bulletproof Skylines. Creepy, but pretty cool.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can't think of a more well rounded performance car than the GT-R.

Yes the G35 is the skyline in Japan, though there is no GT-R model as of yet. :(

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Underhyped--Mitsubishi's 3000GT. A wickedly fast car with nice lines. A nice car that was axed in favor of the Eclipse. No wonder that company is in trouble.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts