GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right ladies and gentlemen, I'm at wits end.
Two years ago my wife wrote off our trusty and reliable 1993 VP wagon, so I quickly had to buy another family wagon. I bought a Holden VR (1993)Berlina Wagon with a 3.8 injected V6 and 4 spd auto and put it onto LPG (Gas). I bought it off a company called FluidDrive. At this time they were supplying autos for GMH. Apparently this car was a company car that they used to 'upgrade' the automatic trans software. The car had spent two years in Michigan USA. The shifts were sweeeeet and it ran like a dream (all I had to do was disconnect some testing wiring that they had installed).
The issue began that summer, the engine started overheating, so I did the usual things - had the radiator cleaned, replaced the coolant, changed the thermostat (ended up putting in 3 new ones in the end), replaced all hoses and radiator cap. I bled all the air from the system. I checked the headgasket, no leak. It doesn't leak coolant. Winter arrived and the car seemed to run at normal temp. Last summer, the overheating returned so I replaced the: water pump, radiator fans, temp gauge sender, instrument cluster, ECU, ENGINE (I'm getting desperate by now). Anyhow, winter is approaching and it's not overheating BUT when I put it under load up hills or with a trailer, it tends to get hotter than it should. I don't think I've solved it but what else is there? Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I think with loads & hills some temp variations are going to occur...

What temp t-stat do you have in the car?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks GMC Somona, Appreciate the time,
I've changed the thermostat with the Holden recommended units (I think they are 95C, but I've also removed it altogether). With the hills, it's getting hotter than I would normally expect. I've driven cars up this long incline for the last 30 years. Recently this car seems to get the gauge up around the half way mark (more than I'd expect). I'me sure the gauge is accurate

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a vr 1994 5L. I only just bought it on monday and it started over heating yesturday. It will be running at normal temp and then all off a sudden i will be pulling over coz i've over heated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts