GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canadian motorists will get the opportunity to buy a Smart car over a year before the DaimlerChrysler division makes its debut in the United States. The tiny, two-seat Smart City Coupe will be launched in autumn 2004 as a 2005 model, company officials revealed during a preview at the Toronto Motor Show. Measuring barely eight feet nose-to-tail, the City Coupe is one of the world's smallest passenger cars, featuring a miniscule 40-horsepower, 0.8-liter gasoline engine capable of propelling the car to about 75 mph. In Canada, where fuel costs now run over CD$3 a gallon in some parts of the country, the City Coupe's fuel economy, about 60 mpg, is expected to be a big selling point. Price should also be a plus, the basic two-seater starting at CD$16,000, (about $12,500), while the roll-top Cabrio will run CD$20,000 ($15,600). When Smart sails into the States, sometime in 2006, it will debut with a new, larger crossover vehicle, dubbed the "formore."

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sat in the Smart cars. Although not entirely uncomfortable, they are pretty darn small.

I also would not want to get hit by a Suburban or Escalade while driving one. OUCH!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
They're popular in Europe, where the streets are much more narrow, and parking space is at a real premium. But if you want a tiny car with great fuel economy, go buy an old Festiva -- it's just as safe, has plenty of room (surprisingly, for the size of the car), and oh by the way, it can be had for about $300. If it breaks, parts can be had cheap, or you can just replace it. I just don't get buying a car new that has no significant advantage over a car like the Festiva, aside from air bags (which won't do you any good in such a small vehicle anyway).

·
Registered
316 Posts
looks like an expensive coffin on wheels to me. call the hearse and bring in the paulbearers to load it up.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Was there a big crowd around this??

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The show hasn't opened yet. There were no crowds anywhere.

Tomorrow the show opens.

I got in today with my press credentials. (thanks Branden!)

133 Posts
c'mon

<_<

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 13 2004, 02:53 AM
The show hasn't opened yet. There were no crowds anywhere.

Tomorrow the show opens.

I got in today with my press credentials. (thanks Branden!)
It's nice to have connections :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts