GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Motor Company is launching into the Year of the Car in 2004 by introducing six new car and crossover models, including an important sedan with available all-wheel drive for Mercury dealers: the all-new Montego.
The 2005 Montego mid sized sedan is the third of four all-new Mercurys that will arrive in showrooms over the next three years as Lincoln-Mercury continues to revamp and bolster its lineup.
Montego offers many innovations, including Ford’s industry-leading safety technology. Its all-new, continuously variable transmission and six-speed automatic transmission combine performance with fuel economy. And its European-inspired chassis delivers crisp, responsive handling.
Montego’s premium interior is roomy and contemporary. Its smart ergonomics – flexible seating and cargo storage capability – set new standards for midsize sedans. A spacious, second row and new-to-the-class "high-package" seating position provides for unprecedented passenger comfort and reinforces the driver’s commanding view of the road.
There is no mistaking the modern design cues on the new Montego for anything but a Mercury. The signature waterfall grille, strategic use of contrasting metallic surfaces such as satin aluminum and chrome, distinctive taillight bezels and unique tailoring continue the distinctive automotive design vision Edsel Ford set for Mercury some 65 years ago.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The headlights are horrible with the 1992 slats inside the plastic covers, but the rest of it is not bad.

The interior is classy, if you just have to have gray plastic, the gray wood-like molding works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks dated (exterior) and its not even out yet. The Ford 500 version looks better, but I can see that Ford will be reskinning it regularly. They should follow the Audi A8 / VW Phaeton exterior look.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
horrible grill, great stance, audi roofline, mercedes talilights, yucky interior finish (is that grey fur around the stereo and along the dash?!?). why does mercury get to stay and oldsmobile has to go? not fair. ford version looks better overall. hope a new impala is in the works (on a side note, can anyone explain why the impala is selling like crazy these days? it deserves to... but why now?).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 4 2004, 03:22 PM
(on a side note, can anyone explain why the impala is selling like crazy these days? it deserves to... but why now?).
Fleet sales and incentives would be my guess but I have nothing to back that up.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
is...is that... is that.... is that grannett trim? WTF!?!?
other then that, the sable/taurus lives on. At least this one is getting a 5spd auto awd and a cvt.

and, can someone explain to me the Holden steering wheel? But over all, its a nice looking car, and the Impy better look awesome to top the ford twins. I think GM falling back behind on sedans? Damn, they were so close.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Admittedly, the styling is a bit tepid, and I'm not a huge fan of the front-end, but this car is light years ahead of the Camry is terms of looking more expensive than it actually is, particularly with respect to the interior. Honestly, J. Mays and crew have it all over Toyota and Nissan in terms of their pedestrian interiors. Overall, not a homerun, but generally pleasing.

Which will do better, the Sable or the LaCrosse? I wonder.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 4 2004, 08:22 PM
horrible grill, great stance, audi roofline, mercedes talilights, yucky interior finish (is that grey fur around the stereo and along the dash?!?). why does mercury get to stay and oldsmobile has to go? not fair. ford version looks better overall. hope a new impala is in the works (on a side note, can anyone explain why the impala is selling like crazy these days? it deserves to... but why now?).
Naw, that's not fur, it's plastic... instead of plastic that is fake wood...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Boy, remember when there was some design reach at Ford? Now they just take design bits of each German car, dumb it down and slap a name from the 60's on it.

I mean, it's really nice that the interiors are not crap anymore, but I have t look at the outside of it too.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by R.E Sanchez@Feb 4 2004, 06:03 PM
:angry: Whats-up with the big black bumper car nose?...YUCK!!!! the rest of it looks ok. (for Hyundai)
What are you talking about? ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
did anyone notice that the clock is analog, very classy looking. woudl liek real wood or chrome instead of that but im sure my gramps and uncle will like it. (their ford guys)

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
It's not a coincidence that new Fords look like Audis/VWs. Ford's designer is J. Mays, who designed the jellybean Audis/VWs we know today.

Ford didn't "steal" anything from VW.... it's just J. Mays' style.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To quote Bart Simpson, "It's craptacular!".

I guess I'm just not in the mainstream, but I don't really like anything about this car. Which means it will probably be a huge success.

The overall design looks dated, too narrow and too tall. I hate the 6 window greenhouse, which up to this point, had most always been a Ford design element. Mercurys usually didn't have a window behind the rear door. The interior is definitely the nicest part of the car, but it also looks dated and could it be any more boring?

The interior is also my biggest complaint about the new Chrysler 300/Magnum twins. Their interiors are just as plain and squarish as the new Ford/Mercury.

Someone please wake me up when the domestics remember how to be leaders in automotive styling....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 4 2004, 09:11 PM
is...is that... is that.... is that grannett trim? WTF!?!?
other then that, the sable/taurus lives on. At least this one is getting a 5spd auto awd and a cvt.

6 speed auto

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I like the 500 better overall. But nonetheless, it should sell better (this and the 500) than the Impala. Impalas are usually bought for rental cars or fleet sales anyways! I'd wait though for the Duratec 35.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The problem with Mercury is that it doesn't even attempt to distinguish itself from ford. The Montego is so obviously the same car as the Five-Hundred, the Sable is obviously a Taurus, the Grand Marquis a Crown Vic, and the Mountaineer an Explorer. Ford needs to learn that blatant badge-engineering doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I hate it, it is just a rebadged Ford 500, interior is the same but iwth more wood. I hate Mercury's. Ford just kill the brand and spend the Money on Jag and Volvo. You don't need them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts