GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHICAGO, February 5, 2004 – Kia Motors Corporation (KMC) has rapidly expanded its product line-up in North America into several new segments, including the midsize SUV, large sedan and minivan categories, but today at the Chicago International Auto Show, the fastest-growing Korean car company held a world premier for something entirely different -- a concept mid-size pick-up truck dubbed the KCV4 “Mojave.”

The first pick-up truck -- concept or production -- Kia has ever shown in the United States, the Mojave is specifically designed to meet the needs and tastes of North American consumers. However, due to the fact that KMC does not have a suitable manufacturing location to build a truck for North America, there are no production plans at this time.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
yeah, totally cheyenne. kia's 'midgate' looks interesting though... looks like the rear seats fold and slide up against the fronts, and the back wall (midgate) slides up to expand the cargo bed length... now if only the rear window would slide up and lock in place and make it a sealed-cabin 2-seater truck. THAT'D be useful.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ha ha, ceyenne in the lights and Bronco concept in the grill. Oh well, at least KIA is braver then Honda by releasing truck concepts earlier in their NA life.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone know why car companies always do those crazy interiors that never ever make it to production? Just wondering.

C6 rules!

·
Registered
164 Posts
What the hell??? Kia truck, Asian automakers better not take over the American-dominated truck market

Pretty soon we'll be seeing German trucks
Introducing the Volkswagen AAC!!! Stupid name but its on vw.com under concepts

With the American automakers dominating (GM with Chevy and GMC, Ford with Ford, and Chrysler Group with Dodge) AMERICAN trucks must update their interiors to catch up to the Asian trucks (TOYOTA, HONDA (sut), NISSAN)

THIS INTERIOR UPDATE I WOULD LIKE does NOT apply to Ford's new gorgeous upscale F-150!!!! OMG!!! It a better interior than ANY Ford car!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You must be kidding me...this is a KIA?
Boy, it looks so much like a Chevy Cheyenne Concept a year or two ago...
And not only that, what a stupid name, 'Mojave?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Feb 5 2004, 05:05 PM
You must be kidding me...this is a KIA?
Boy, it looks so much like a Chevy Cheyenne Concept a year or two ago...
And not only that, what a stupid name, 'Mojave?
The name is equally as stupid as Cheyenne.

If it makes production, it will just be another hunk of junk for the yuppie crowd that thinks trucks are cool. But I'm not convinced that market exists.

As for interior styling.. obviously this isn't production. You'd never meet impact standards for the occupants. I haven't seen the interior of the GM or Dodge trucks, but the F-150 definately has an interior that is world-class.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I know everyone's bashing it...but I kinda like it...sure it's a clone of the cheyenne...but the interior is uber slick...futuristic but slick...gm could could take a lesson or two...not only that but the doors are a good idea...they're a bit large but they give quite a bit of entry space...especially to the back seats

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
This is a pretty nice design, mostly because it's derivative of what others have done. However, I would hardly consider it a real threat [yet]; this looks very 'tinny' and not quite manly like the real FS trucks out there. Check out the thinness of the midgate, the tailgate, the seats... just about everything. I cannot imagine that this inspires FS pickup confidence behind the wheel.

As a first attempt, there are definitely things done right, but overall trucks like the Titan and the [Toyota] FTX worry me much more than this.

Unfortunately, I think it's only a matter of time before the Koreans get into the game. It could benefit GM and Ford, though. They'll be scared into making their trucks even better (eg, interiors), like they should have been doing all along. In a phrase: competition is good.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The Mojave isn't quite full-sized...which makes it more of a competitor to the Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Frontier, and Ranger. I don't see the "tinny" look that was mentioned...I think this is a VERY strong first volley. Sure it has cues from other vehicles...but how many truly original designs have you seen?

gmwsag:

What's wrong with the name? You've never heard of the Mojave Desert? Naming vehicles (especially trucks) after locations is common...and naming rugged application vehicles after rugged locations is common. What makes Mojave any worse than Sierra or Frontier or Tundra?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
are kias any good these days? i'm talking quality... not personal preference. because i took a close look at a sorento last night, and DAMN that's an attractive vehicle! sportage is a bit of a laugh, but that sorento is one of the better looking SUV's out there. at ANY price!

still, an SUV is different from a truck. SUV kia can do... but mid/full size pickup? i don't know that kia'd convince many full-size truck buyers to buy a mojave.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 6 2004, 05:01 PM
are kias any good these days? i'm talking quality... not personal preference. because i took a close look at a sorento last night, and DAMN that's an attractive vehicle! sportage is a bit of a laugh, but that sorento is one of the better looking SUV's out there. at ANY price!
The only Kia I'd ever buy would be a Sorento. Much nicer interior than a TrailBlazer or Envoy.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+Feb 6 2004, 06:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ Feb 6 2004, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul8488@Feb 6 2004, 05:01 PM
The only Kia I'd ever buy would be a Sorento. Much nicer interior than a TrailBlazer or Envoy. [/b][/quote]
Better than the Trailblazer sure, but not the Envoy. Yes I know there quality has gotten better, but they are still pretty low in the ranking if you look at the major markers. Its good they are starting to put in the quality awards they have gotten in there ads, but its funny because most of them you have never heard of.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts