259 Posts
Isn't mercury dead yet?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by GroundedZ@Jan 4 2004, 07:18 PM
Isn't mercury dead yet?
It is in Canada pretty much. I think only the Marauder is available here now, through Ford dealerships.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Montego front end looks like a Mitsubishi Galant, and the rear appears to have the same look and shape as the Chevy Epica / Suzuki Verona.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Ford should just make a new trim for all Ford vehicles and call it "Mercury" or "M" trim.

When was the last time Mercury got something uniquely developed just for the brand (and I'm not talking Marauder/Crown Vic with a cool engine, either)?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider+Jan 4 2004, 11:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rex Raider @ Jan 4 2004, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GroundedZ@Jan 4 2004, 07:18 PM
Isn't mercury dead yet?
It is in Canada pretty much. I think only the Marauder is available here now, through Ford dealerships. [/b][/quote]
MSN.ca's auto section lists only the Marauder and the Grand Marquis as available.

Then they give a little blurb on Mercury's history.

"The Mercury Story

The first Mercury automobile was designed by the Ford Styling studio in 1937. Mercury bridged the gap between the Fords and the luxury Lincoln models. In 1945 the Lincoln-Mercury division of the Ford Motor Company was established. The Grand Marquis sedan is the only Mercury product still currently sold in Canada."

I guess that settles it. <_<

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jan 4 2004, 05:38 PM
Ford should just make a new trim for all Ford vehicles and call it "Mercury" or "M" trim.
I think that you are joking, but this might not be a horrible idea. The M-line could be rather monochrome, but have distinctive chrome accents (and the braces grille) and touring suspension. It would save Ford alot of money-- everything would be a deliberate rebadge and could get marketed under the same umbrella.

But I don't really want Ford to succeed anyway- so I'll shut up now. :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
The Mariner might be a popular 'ute'. I am starting to see more and more Escapes and even Mazda Tributes (Zoom-Zoom). People just love the small Ford SUVs...especially if the payments for the larger Ford SUVs are too much to swallow. Getting a small luxo SUV with 4WD isn't so bad.

The Montego may be late getting to the "game". If Mercury does not have a V8 option for this car, why bother...get the black/silver Ford variant and save.

It looks like Ford is starting to loose confidence in it's semi-luxo brand really quick.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
When I saw the drawings of the new Merc Montego last year I said, nice, mabey Merc has a chance after all. Now that I have seen the production car (a Ford 500 with a different grill) I am predicting, OLDS, PLYMOUTH, DESOTO, HUDSON another American icon down the drain due to another bunch of martini sipping overpaid suits with no imagination.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Jan 5 2004, 12:24 AM
I think that you are joking, but this might not be a horrible idea. The M-line could be rather monochrome, but have distinctive chrome accents (and the braces grille) and touring suspension. It would save Ford alot of money-- everything would be a deliberate rebadge and could get marketed under the same umbrella.
I hear a lot about how Lincoln "needs" Mercury -- I wonder why it would be impossible for Lincoln dealerships to just have Lincoln / Ford dealerships instead.

Toyota / Lexus works, right? Or are they always in different dealerships?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am not much a fan of most concept cars. but the first concept car that struck me was the mercury messanger i dont see pics of it anymore at the recent shows. i have read rummers that it could be the next cougar. i am a big cougar fan. i am disapointed that they are not producing it.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/arti...42/page029.html

Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts