GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Aviator: Decent successor to the current (I believe is discontinued). Exterior nice, similar to RX330 in side profile. I thought cab forward was dead? Interior looks good if not reminiscent of the forty’s Fords, and a bit fragile looking too (chrome on steering wheel looks plastic) . That light cream color interior will be hard to keep fresh due to it’s dirt attracting hue!

Mark LT: How many times will Linclon have to try to realize that, unless your vehicle does something different than the yeomen vehicle it is based upon, it will fail?

Mark X: Is this really relevant? Based upon the T-bird now confirmed dead soon, how is this going to get people to “man I need that”.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Aviator - Wow. Incredible interior. Nicely done all around.

Lincoln Truck - Masturbatory product exercise pleasing no one but the designer and a few corporate lackeys. Will not sell.

Mark X - I like it, except it's a two seater. If this is your answer for the failed Thunderbird, I'd say you flunked.

·
Registered
44,048 Posts
<_<
Aviator: Profile of a Touareg.... only uglier. Interior looks like a cross between Battlestar Galactica and a 60's chromed out Bond car. No one needs that much chrome in a car. And it'll be hard keeping prints off it. Looks like they're taking cues from the Envoy XUV too.

Mark LT: I don't like it. Interior's nice tho. We'll see if it's a hit. If it is, expect a new Escalade truck 2 years later. :blink:

Mark X: Umm... shouldn't they be on Mark IX, not X?? Wasn't the Mark VIII the last iteration? Anyways. It's Thunderbird. And both are ugly cars.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Aviator: Looks pretty nice, but too much chrome. Rear exterior is kind of ugly.
Truck: OK, it looks nice, but it is really a dressed-up F150. There needs to be something really special about this truck to make it sell.
Mark X: Looks quite good, but aren't they on Mark IX? However, I think this car would sell well because Lincoln doesn't have a coupe.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The interiors are gorgeous, but the new grille styles I really think they are ugly. Maybe this truck will do better than the poor Blackwood. Maybe when the T-Bird goes away they will keep the chassis and build the Lincoln for a couple years.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Jan 4 2004, 04:22 PM
The interiors are gorgeous, but the new grille styles I really think they are ugly. Maybe this truck will do better than the poor Blackwood. Maybe when the T-Bird goes away they will keep the chassis and build the Lincoln for a couple years.
The chassis is sticking around for a while, becasue it is used on the LS...

·
Registered
522 Posts
:( Can someone (Bill Ford) bring former Lincoln head-designer, Gerry McGovern, back from Europe? McGovern obviously was way more talented than J. Mays. The concept cars under McGovern were far more exciting, and looked toward the future, while being mindful of the past. Mays has shown, yet again, that he can only look backwards, for inspiration. This time, he has focused on the Kennedy assasination, as most of these concepts seem rooted in the convertible Continental, that chauffered the late President, in his final moments. Call me "crazy", but I think that the current Aviator looks better than the concept version.

There are no words to describe the ridiculousness of the pick-up. It has little to distinguish it from the F-150, except for the strange, venetian blind-style grillwork. Why doesn't it look like the Navigator, but with the addition of a cargo bed? The Navigator is much better looking than this thing. Hopefully, Lincoln won't apply this dog's looks, to the Navigator.

I have read, on Blueoval News, that Lincoln's General Manager is unhappy with these designs, and feels that Mays needs to try harder.

Its obvious that Ford has no plan for Lincoln, they actually seem to want it to die. I guess with Jag and Volvo, they don't really need it anymore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wow... i love em all ....grills are reminecent of the lincolns of the 60s..i think that this should be the direction that lincoln should go. do what caddy did. that dont have anywhere else to go but up as far as im concerned. i would honestly have to say im impressed with ford this year for the most part. there are some exceptions but overall not too shabby.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by parakleets@Jan 4 2004, 04:26 PM
:( Can someone (Bill Ford) bring former Lincoln head-designer, Gerry McGovern, back from Europe? McGovern obviously was way more talented than J. Mays. The concept cars under McGovern were far more exciting, and looked toward the future, while being mindful of the past. Mays has shown, yet again, that he can only look backwards, for inspiration. This time, he has focused on the Kennedy assasination, as most of these concepts seem rooted in the convertible Continental, that chauffered the late President, in his final moments. Call me "crazy", but I think that the current Aviator looks better than the concept version.

There are no words to describe the ridiculousness of the pick-up. It has little to distinguish it from the F-150, except for the strange, venetian blind-style grillwork. Why doesn't it look like the Navigator, but with the addition of a cargo bed? The Navigator is much better looking than this thing. Hopefully, Lincoln won't apply this dog's looks, to the Navigator.

I have read, on Blueoval News, that Lincoln's General Manager is unhappy with these designs, and feels that Mays needs to try harder.

Its obvious that Ford has no plan for Lincoln, they actually seem to want it to die. I guess with Jag and Volvo, they don't really need it anymore.
McGovern is OUT! And now they have the former Volvo head designer..

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by parakleets@Jan 4 2004, 10:26 PM

If true about McGovern, though, then why have there been no exciting Lincolns on the market since about 1975?

I still believe that retro themes are a good way to re-ignite the former glory of these brands. These are not retro vehicles at all, but they are influenced by some unquestionably Lincoln traits.

Sales of the Mustang will be the tell-tale. My prediction is that it will handily outsell the current version.

·
Registered
44,048 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9@Jan 4 2004, 05:44 PM

If true about McGovern, though, then why have there been no exciting Lincolns on the market since about 1975?

I still believe that retro themes are a good way to re-ignite the former glory of these brands. These are not retro vehicles at all, but they are influenced by some unquestionably Lincoln traits.

Sales of the Mustang will be the tell-tale. My prediction is that it will handily outsell the current version.
There was a "Retro" thread going on somewhere here... probably in the Caddy group.

But I think there's a lot of problems with "going retro." If you go "retro" the was Cadillac is going, then I think it's going to pay off. If you go "retro" the way the Thunderbird went, I think you've got problems.

Taking styling cues from the 50s, 60s 70s and evolving them into a modern look is fine (ie - Caddy). Taking styling cues from the 50s, 60,s 70s and placing them directly into a design as if it were last model year is a problem (ie - Thunderbird).

Mustang will outsell the previous model year. That's a gimme. But I predict 2-3 years later, sales will plummet precipitously... with a major redesign by 2009-10 or its death... like the Thunderbird. You can read all the articles that were gushing about the smartly styled Thunderbird, but it's demise is directly linked to what I term, the "dead catfish" look.

Best to keep these pure "retro-mobiles" confined to limited production (~3-5000 annual)... like Chevy SSR.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Hmmm... It seems like Lincoln is still trying to find its way. I like some aspects of all of these vehicles, but as total packages they seem to be lacking a certain "je ne sais pas." The most viable in terms of igniting new sales seems to be the Aviator concept, though again, there are some features, like the slightly overdone, overchromed interior, that aren't quite right.

And though the Lincoln truck (I cannot discern its actual name from the photos) would probably be the easiest to put into production, I don't see this thing selling in the 10's of thousands, and it really misses the [Caddy] EXT in terms of versatility and originality. I must add that the interior puts the Caddy trucks' interiors to absolute shame! Perhaps GM interior design folks could ask Lincoln about how to properly execute a luxurious interior, no?

And Lincoln has A LOT of work to do before it seriously considers a 2-place roadster like the Mark X, particularly if it looks like this morphed T-Bird.

Nice try, though, as Lincoln's comeback is *long* overdue.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I thought that pick up was a joke when I saw it in Motor Trend. Now I know they were serious.... :huh:

I can't wait to see all of the Ford F-150's that will get a grille kit conversion for $299 in the truck accessories catalogs.... :lol:

Well, that's if the truck is considered "cool" like a Caddy, and I'm not so sure of that...

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jan 4 2004, 06:42 PM
I thought that pick up was a joke when I saw it in Motor Trend. Now I know they were serious.... :huh:

I can't wait to see all of the Ford F-150's that will get a grille kit conversion for $299 in the truck accessories catalogs.... :lol:

Well, that's if the truck is considered "cool" like a Caddy, and I'm not so sure of that...
Oh, every rap singer in Hollywood will have to get one.. Jack it up, bigger spinner rims and BIG stereo.. :lol:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro+Jan 4 2004, 11:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Jan 4 2004, 11:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-desmo9@Jan 4 2004, 05:44 PM

There was a "Retro" thread going on somewhere here... probably in the Caddy group.

But I think there's a lot of problems with "going retro." If you go "retro" the was Cadillac is going, then I think it's going to pay off. If you go "retro" the way the Thunderbird went, I think you've got problems.

Taking styling cues from the 50s, 60s 70s and evolving them into a modern look is fine (ie - Caddy). Taking styling cues from the 50s, 60,s 70s and placing them directly into a design as if it were last model year is a problem (ie - Thunderbird).

Mustang will outsell the previous model year. That's a gimme. But I predict 2-3 years later, sales will plummet precipitously... with a major redesign by 2009-10 or its death... like the Thunderbird. You can read all the articles that were gushing about the smartly styled Thunderbird, but it's demise is directly linked to what I term, the "dead catfish" look.

Best to keep these pure "retro-mobiles" confined to limited production (~3-5000 annual)... like Chevy SSR. [/b][/quote]
No, I meant the '05 Stang will outsell the 1994...pretty obvious it'll outsell the '04.

These Lincolns are not all that retro. Only on the inside is there a neuvo-retro pitch, but it's good...tells us they are Lincolns. Cadillac could take a big lesson here with Escalade.

Tbird was overpriced, one of the key reasons it didn't meet targets. It was rather dull looking, too -- especially inside. If it had more verve, and been priced to sell, things would have played out differently. The SSR will probably suffer the same fate, price-wise. There's no reason why that couldn't have been designed to sell in the high $20K range. Instead, it's up in Corvette territory!! Unreal.

The New Beetle is a better example of where "new retro" can take a company. Not only was the car hot for several years, making VW big bucks, but more significantly it brought new people into VW showrooms. People got to see how things had improved, and how nice the other models are. This is the kind of jump start the Big 3 need... if you can hook people with something emotional, which retro is good at doing, then you might finally convince them that today's GM is a lot better than the 1985 GM. Isn't that one of the biggest challenges they face?

I'm tired of people bitc*ing about retro...the new Mustang, outside and especially on the inside, is one of the best things out of the Big 3 in the last 30 years. What's any other automaker have on it? Low $20s for V8 performance and classic American style. Take the same amount of cash and go buy a 4-banger Solstice if you prefer. Free pair of panty hose in every one of those egg-shaped things, I hear. If that type of uninspired look is the antithesis of retro, then give me retro.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts