GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Of all the auto companies out there, I seem to resent the success of Hyundai/Kia the most. I honestly cannot think of any car or truck in their lineups that I find even remotely attractive or competent. As JD Power studies indicate, they suck in quality and sales satisfaction, too. I would have a very hard time buying a Toyota or Honda (call it silly patriotism), but I can at least respect the many fine automobiles that Japanese, and to a lesser extent the Europeans, build. I cannot say this of Hyundai/Kia.

They may have it easy peddling their cheap wares down market, mostly because everyone, including the Japanese, walked away from the low end of the market. I predict that they're in for a rude awakening when they challenge everyone upmarket. I don't think their successes will be as easy to come by.

And just to be a bit more venomous, I think their concepts truly suck. They are unimaginative and plain ugly.

Other than that, I wish them the best!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I see Audi in front with the grille and lights, and the air intake layout, especially the bottom part smacks of Mazda RX8. the rear is nissan 350Z.
Overall a nice shape but once again very derivative. still, if Japanese could get away withcopying blatantly, Hyundai should be allowed to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Jan 4 2004, 04:26 PM
Of all the auto companies out there, I seem to resent the success of Hyundai/Kia the most. I honestly cannot think of any car or truck in their lineups that I find even remotely attractive or competent. As JD Power studies indicate, they suck in quality and sales satisfaction, too. I would have a very hard time buying a Toyota or Honda (call it silly patriotism), but I can at least respect the many fine automobiles that Japanese, and to a lesser extent the Europeans, build. I cannot say this of Hyundai/Kia.

They may have it easy peddling their cheap wares down market, mostly because everyone, including the Japanese, walked away from the low end of the market. I predict that they're in for a rude awakening when they challenge everyone upmarket. I don't think their successes will be as easy to come by.

And just to be a bit more venomous, I think their concepts truly suck. They are unimaginative and plain ugly.

Other than that, I wish them the best!
:mrt: i thought that a majority of what toyota for the most part sells in the states is made here, i'm pretty sure there was a thread on this somewhere. don't gm and ford manufacture a lot of their domestic stuff.. in canada and mexico?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
People who don't see the reason why Hyundai and Kia are growing so fast aren't really looking. The Sonata/Optima are excellent mid-sized sedans. I've had fun driving the Elantra GT and the Spectra. In their class, the Sedona, Santa Fe, and Sorrento are very competitive vehicles. I've been very impressed by the Hyundai XG350 (I haven't driven the Kia Amanti yet, which is related). And there are more products coming that are quite competitive.

Silver: You're absolutely right that most Toyotas (as well as most Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, and Mitsubishis) are built in North America. Hyundai is right behind with their US plant opening in about two years where they'll build about a quarter of a million vehicles annually.

Patriotism? Like the Korean Chevrolets? Or Australian Pontiacs? Or English-engined Cadillacs and Saturns? Or Chinese-engined Chevrolets?

Me, personally, I don't care where a car is built...as long as it does what I want it to, doesn't cost a fortune, and I find it attractive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts