GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
All I can say is, what took so long, Detroit!?

This is a good year indeed for GM & Ford, and I say ditch the old rivalries and say Congrats to ALL of the engineers and designers in Detroit who are bringing us drool worthy cars.

Now you won't have to reminisce and dream about the good ol' 1960's when American cars were tops.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't see how this is a good year for GM.

They release a pansy car like Solstice... Ford releases a new Shelby Cobra.

That's horrible for GM.

·
Registered
94 Posts
nah thats not horrible TA...look man, solstice is gonna sell like mad. the shelby cobra isnt, even if it gets built. the solstice is a mainstream car. the cobra is gonna be hella expensive and is not going to help ford out monetarly anyway. it will help with the image. but the solstice will as well at gm.

and im getting more and more worried that the corvette aint gonna be the top dog like most of us thought..its time for the ZL-1 to come out baby. i dont think the Z06 is gonna be up to the task of the 850 hp chrysler or this thing for some reason. but who knows it may be..im curious to see the Z06 perfomance numbers now...not to mention the ZL-1 or blue devil whatever you want to call it

·
Registered
475 Posts
You see, I don't care what's good for GM.

They are there to serve ME, not the other way around. I am the consumer.

They need to build good,exciting cars which they seem to be incapable of since probably the Grand Nationals.

That's the last new, good car GM has been able to come up with for performance.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Drooooooooooooooooooool! Ok, so I glanced at it at first and it looked like it was caught in the shower, stunned headlights with a jaw dropping grill, but the more I look at it the more unique and cool it is. I like it. Clean and tough.

Quit whining about GM, the Solstice looks great for its class and it on par or better for power. If it handles as good as it looks then everything in its price range should be worried.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Im not to sure about King Ranch's, My friend had one the exploded after a minor car accident.

If you don't like the Solstice, Then why so much *****ing? You don't like it, Don't buy it, Get over it. You must just be TRYING to get a rise about it by bringing it up in every thread. I'm not going to get mad or you will just get your way.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Jan 4 2004, 10:54 PM

They need to build good,exciting cars which they seem to be incapable of since probably the Grand Nationals.

So then just what would make a"good" performance car???,since GM hasn't made any since the Grand National...I'm curious 2 see what would make U happy, not attacking U...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Holy crap. I'd heard rumors of a V10 concept car being shown off at NAIAS, but this is beyond my expectations. If this goes into production, Ford is going to have one of the most incredible performance lineups ever to come out of the big three: 500hp Ford GT, 500hp F150 Lightning, 500hp SVT Mustang (not a Cobra anymore, I guess), and 425hp(est) V10 Cobra.

Now with the 500hp(est) Z06 Corvette, 350hp GTO, 500hp Viper SRT-10, and 500hp SRT-10 RAM, there's a lot of serious muscle coming out of Detroit again. Wow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon+Jan 4 2004, 10:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (casket_demon @ Jan 4 2004, 10:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TAFreak@Jan 4 2004, 10:54 PM

So then just what would make a"good" performance car???,since GM hasn't made any since the Grand National...I'm curious 2 see what would make U happy, not attacking U... [/b][/quote]
I think he's pushing it a bit because there are plenty of cars that are faster in stock trim

·
Registered
187 Posts
This thing is a bad joke. A V-10 powered neo-Cobra? Hasn't that been done? Is Ford really so clueless that they have to re-hash both their own history AND Chrysler's?

This "Cobra" looks like a 427 snake that sat on the radiator. Fire J Mays right now. If Carrol had decided to do a Stutz Bearcat reproduction in the 60's, there would have been no Cobra in the first place. Remember Back to the Future? Remember how Marty's family started to fade out of existence when he prevented his parents from meeting? I'll bet some awesome Ford sportster on some young designer's desk will never see daylight because somebody high up doesn't have the imagination to look forward instead of back.

This is becoming the lost era of Ford design. And the 500 looks like a VW Passat with a different fascia! Is anybody at Ford paying attention to their design department?

J Mays might be the worst designer ever to lead a big three design studio.

·
Super Moderator
4,284 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Jan 4 2004, 09:54 PM

Oh, and I take it the LS1 is just a piece of crap that's not up to your standards? We've got both in our family...an '87 GN that my father bought in 6/87 and my 1999 Camaro SS. Even in stock form, an LS1 powered F-car is light years ahead of a MILD 3.8T. Not knocking the GN, of course. They're great cars. But to say that GM has built nothing exciting in nearly 20 years sounds pretty assinine to me.

No flame intended...you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,284 Posts
Just remembered the '89 Turbo TA. Now that was a real yawner, ehh TAFreak? :laughbounce:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
good idea, but it will never make production. They are concepts, not ready for production cars people. Teh Cobra will never see the light of day. Is it a sweet car? Yes. But if GM wasnt so worried about making production cars thats gunna make money, maybe they could throw out a concept or 2 that would just eat up development money. Ive seen way way way too many concepts from Ford, Dodge and GM evaporate or come to market slapped together and then bomb. Well, good for ford that they can put these concepts out. Only thing is that GM isnt putting out concepts like the Cobra and I dont know why. It is good to see Ford making concepts to at least have people gawk over them and draw them to the displays.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by vanshmack+Jan 5 2004, 08:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vanshmack @ Jan 5 2004, 08:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TAFreak@Jan 4 2004, 09:54 PM

Oh, and I take it the LS1 is just a piece of crap that's not up to your standards? We've got both in our family...an '87 GN that my father bought in 6/87 and my 1999 Camaro SS. Even in stock form, an LS1 powered F-car is light years ahead of a MILD 3.8T. Not knocking the GN, of course. They're great cars. But to say that GM has built nothing exciting in nearly 20 years sounds pretty assinine to me.

No flame intended...you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with it. ;) [/b][/quote]
he is a fellow LS1 driver also. Dont worry about TA, he is just really sad that Pontiac is moving away from boddy cladded FWD sedans and more twards sleek sporty cars, but they dont have a Firebird or TA lined up for production. Im as pissed off as you TA that the Fbodys are gone, but you dont have to be so bitter about it.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by Tim_M@Jan 5 2004, 06:21 AM
This thing is a bad joke.  A V-10 powered neo-Cobra?  Hasn't that been done?  Is Ford really so clueless that they have to re-hash both their own history AND Chrysler's?

This "Cobra" looks like a 427 snake that sat on the radiator.  Fire J Mays right now.  If Carrol had decided to do a Stutz Bearcat reproduction in the 60's, there would have been no Cobra in the first place.  Remember Back to the Future?  Remember how Marty's family started to fade out of existence when he prevented his parents from meeting?  I'll bet some awesome Ford sportster on some young designer's desk will never see daylight because somebody high up doesn't have the imagination to look forward instead of back.

This is becoming the lost era of Ford design.  And the 500 looks like a VW Passat with a different fascia!  Is anybody at Ford paying attention to their design department?

J Mays might be the worst designer ever to lead a big three design studio.
See, here's the rub... The 500 concept looked pretty fine. But you know what happened? A bunch of piddling dimwits fired back that it looked a little retro... not enough "forward thinking". The first Taurus succeeded by going out on a limb. The second one flopped due to a similar but less-calculated gamble. They didn't want to bet the farm again, and negative reception to the 500 concept took its toll.

The Mustang is a great looking car, and more importantly it's a good deal. No $40K SSR there. Most of Ford's interior designs are leaps ahead of GM's...compare Escalade to Navigator sometime. And the GT supercar is incredible eye candy.

I'm not a Ford fan, mind you... but I know that any less-than-stellar designs out of Ford are not the result of J. Mays' ineptness... it's the conservative sissies at the heart of the proverbial "focus groups", guiding mainstream products like 500. Malibu is not much better. When I see people on here whining about the Mustang but applauding stuff like Cobalt and Solstice, I begin to realize just how amazingly contorted opinions can be...and why Detroit can't find it's identity. I gotta think that many people slamming the Mustang couldn't tell a '69 Camaro from a Rambler.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts