GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Doesn't the Magnum replace the Intrepid? I can't help but feel that this will bomb. The 300C looks ugly and and too beefy/buldgy too. It's as if the East German steroid abusing designers who did the new RAM truck were let loose on the cars. Neither car is a graceful or pretty thing to look at.

Now that Chyrsler is a German company left to sell previous generation left over Mercedes suspension parts, I don't really care what happens to them.

Mark

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Jan 4 2004, 01:37 AM
Now that Chyrsler is a German company left to sell previous generation left over Mercedes suspension parts, I don't really care what happens to them.
I only care about them as long as they keep putting the Cummins Deisel in the Ram because I create the engine parts catalogs for them as a contractor for Cummins. I spend a good 3-4 months working exclusively on the Ram engine catalogs and the rest is spent on the regular ISB 6 cylinder engine catalogs among other various projects.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The Magnum is a cool ride but they really needed to put a sedan out there with it... building the Charger wouldnt have been bad either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There nice cars but again i dont think its gonna be volume that Chrysler needs, mercedes in my opinion makes overrated crap themselves and is pulling Chrysler down with them , heres hoping cooler head prevail and build cars people want, Charger and something to replace that box they call 300C :chef:

·
Registered
68 Posts
It looks like the awesome designers that left chrysler for GM are going to make a big difference in the 2 companies. If I was chrysler, I would be trying to get them back!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
buuuullllllllllshis, Id take that station wagon over the mustang!! You guys dont like the new dodge? Wow, I think its one really nice looking car! I want to see a 2dr version with teh same hemi motor, with a 6spd with pistol grip shifter!!! And have it painted in some old dodge colors!! Hell yeah, Id take this as a temp release before GM gets there act together for a Camaro. Its funny that this station wagon has more power then a Mustang GT!! bwahahah! These cars will seel, but that little roadster doesnt have a chance.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I agree with you. Not to debate styling, but the Magnum wagon is just the shot of adrenaline the American auto industry needs (ignoring for a moment it's actually German). And with the hemi V8 driving the rear wheels, we can only hope GM does something like this with the rear-drivers they're developing.

The new Stang and this Wagon are the first (mainstream) domestic cars since about 1980 that are not import copycats, and the first ones I actually want to buy. The GTO should be on this short list, but not until it looks aggressive like these.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Magnum station wagon with the Hemi would rule.
The rumors still exist that a Charger is going to come
out to replace the Intrepid. The Magnum is nice, tho!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Can you imagine hearing a 5.7L Hemi Magnum rumble by? I can....

That wagon is amazing. However, I think we will see more V6 versions on the road. That's not bad either. The Magnum has that "IN-YOUR-FACE" persona that my wife would both love and hate. She'd LOVE to be driving it down the road and stomping on the throttle at every chance she gets. She'd HATE to be on the highway with some youngster who doesn't know how to handle it's full power.

I'm a believer...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The Germans do not have a clue. The Magnum is really nice but it is a niche vehicle. This is not a volumn seller which is what Dodge needs. They would have been better off with a sedan version, then a coupe (CHARGER) then mabey a wagon. HELLO GERMANS! Wagons sell worse than coupes in the U.S.A. To many SUV's and crossovers (real popular) to compete with. As far as the 300c goes?BARF!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The Magnum may be lower volume entry, but I'm not sure you can call a wagon like that a niche vehicle. Stuff like SSR, Prowler, et al, are nice, but they're not much good other than for occasional use. Those are what I'd consider niche vehicles. Magnum is offered in V6 and V8 versions, so there's some utility there. The market is moving that way, from tall SUVs to crossovers to wagons. Given Subaru Outback to Audi Avant to Malibu Maxx, there are more than a few wagons out there. The market is likely to grow as the wagon sheds it's "1975 Brady Bunch" stigma and is looked at as a sporty type of SUV. With the Magnum V8, here's a vehicle that's hauls goods AND hauls a$$ ..not to mention offering a nice chopped and channeled profile. How can it lose?

Word on the street was that Charger will be Dodge's 2-and 4-door entry, so the Magnum is only offered as a wagon here.

Chrysler (Magnum and 300) and Ford (Mustang) now have somewhat practical and affordable vehicles with the classic American V8 driving the rear wheels. GM is the only one of the Big 3 not in that race, which I think it gonna bite 'em in the behind. There's GTO and CTS-V for the near-wealthy, FWD 4 bangers Ion Redline and Cobalt SS for the 18-28 crowd, and absolutely nothing for the middle-class, 28-40 crowd. (Impala SS S/C? ..almost but not quite). These guys really want a practical performance car, myself included. Dodge scores 1, Ford scores 1, and GM gets the big 'ol bagel.

·
Registered
43,964 Posts
<_<
Umm... the rear of the Slingshot.... resembles umm.... the Renault Mégane. At least, I think it's the Mégane. I've always liked that look.
I'm just not a Dodge person... the designs don't do much for me. :(

·
Registered
533 Posts
Auctually, it looks like the Magnum wagon (with the Hemi) will be replacing my 93 Roadmaster Estate Wagon...unless the Commodore Wagon hits the shores in the next 5 months....c'mon GM, we're still wating...and NOT for a trucklett or SUV... :drevil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts