1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloomberg News
November 24, 2020

Tesla Nears Half a Trillion Mark After Soaring 525% This Year

Tesla Inc. is smashing through records as its impending addition to the S&P 500 Index has sparked a buying frenzy among investors, pushing the company’s market valuation close to the $500 billion mark for the first time.

Shares of the electric vehicle company have soared this year, rising nearly 525%, with gains accelerating over the past week after S&P Dow Jones Indices last Monday said Tesla will be added to the benchmark. The stock surge helped co-founder Elon Musk add $100.3 billion to his net worth this year and overtake Bill Gates to become the world’s second-richest person.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is completely my fault.

Every time I wonder out loud how Tesla can survive, the stock goes up another twenty percent.

While perhaps I should stop speaking, you have to give Mr. Musk credit where credit is due. What an amazing ride. The executives at GM, Ford, FCA, Toyota etc, must be dumbfounded watching this.

I know I am.

Market Summary > Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA
521.85 USD 0.00 (0.00%) Closed
Pre-market 541.00 +19.15 (3.67%)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
For comparison, the market cap for GM is about $64B, Ford about $35B. Wall Street has spoken as clearly as it can:

EV = good
ICE = bad

I can't blame the auto executives for trying to ride the EV gravy train. We'll see which ones do the best job balancing ICE and EV over the next say 10 years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GM/

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
For comparison, the market cap for GM is about $64B, Ford about $35B. Wall Street has spoken as clearly as it can:

EV = good
ICE = bad

I can't blame the auto executives for trying to ride the EV gravy train. We'll see which ones do the best job balancing ICE and EV over the next say 10 years.

Part of it is Tesla is trying to do a lot of it themselves after proving they can. If you think about it, they're the only ones really building plants as everyone else is just changing over. They need the extra capacity and they're really crushing it with sales too.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Once Tesla works through these growing pains regarding production quality, the rest of the industry will be kinda effed. That is what worries me about the big 2s transition to EVs, will it be enough to make inroads with Tesla's target demographics?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Tesla: Fake it until you make it. Are they still getting away with not having to have dealerships?
Yup, even getting states to change laws to make it happen.

Also, they just recertified the Model S for a 409 mile range as well. Crazy fake. :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tesla will slow down once GM gets its cars and trucks going. Tesla cars are so boring. Yes they are fast but the styling is nothing great. That is where GM can shine. Tesla interiors are boring and have no style and it seems people that are buying them are people who will keep a car forever and that is not a good thing for any manufacture.

·
Registered
16,615 Posts
This is completely my fault.

Every time I wonder out loud how Tesla can survive, the stock goes up another twenty percent.

While perhaps I should stop speaking, you have to give Mr. Musk credit where credit is due. What an amazing ride. The executives at GM, Ford, FCA, Toyota etc, must be dumbfounded watching this.

I know I am.

Market Summary > Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA
521.85 USD 0.00 (0.00%) Closed
Pre-market 541.00 +19.15 (3.67%)
If anyone really wants the stock to tank, give me money to invest in Tesla. The stock value will be sure to tank if I invest in it.

Kidding aside, that is absolutely amazing and far beyond what Tesla will ever return. Overexuberance at its best. It's an exciting company, I understand the allure - but I don't see it ever bringing in the amount of profits needed to justify the market cap.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

EV = good
ICE = bad

The Main Problem with Wall Street is, the Investors are not buying EVs, they are buying "EV Hype".

The more News that Cadillac will be EV only by -, Cali to Ban the ICE, Quebec to ban ICE by-, the higher the Stocks will go. Before the Crash and Burn, that comes with "America just isn't ready"

·
Premium Member
35,450 Posts
The electric power grid on the coasts sure ain't.
This balderdash about all lektrik by so-and-so is pie in the sky. A certain governator of a certain large left coast state recently had a dinner party with 22 guests. The bar tab was reportedly $15,000. There was no "social distancing" and no masks. The group was rowdy and others in the joint complained.

This is all about laying on rules, superficial feel-good rules, from On High, :worship::worship: our Kings and Queens tell us peasants how to act, what to buy, where to go, if we can make money, but those rules do not apply to Royalty. These people are drenched in self-righteousness, are products of the Self Esteem Movement of the '90s, ergo feel great about the wonderful things they're doing.

I've asked before what Queen Mary's daily driver is. No responses yet. And what do these Royals get chauffeured around in? Bolts? Yes, that's it! Bolts. :eek:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Part of it is Tesla is trying to do a lot of it themselves after proving they can. If you think about it, they're the only ones really building plants as everyone else is just changing over. They need the extra capacity and they're really crushing it with sales too.
And the stratospheric value of the stock makes it cheaper for Tesla to build those new factories, invest in new tech, etc. Musk has almost a blank check at this point, whereas the traditional car companies have to actually earn money to buy all that stuff. As a Barron’s article puts it:

“Importantly, the continuing run-up means that [Tesla’s] cost of capital advantage relative to peers continues to widen, which is critical as the company continues to build new factories.” ... The higher the stock goes, the fewer new shares Tesla would have to issue to build a factory, making growth cheaper.”

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-stock-rises-another-problem-for-index-funds-51606330903

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Seems like what you wanted to do this year is take the money you were going to use to buy a new Tesla car and buy Tesla stock instead.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
R
And the stratospheric value of the stock makes it cheaper for Tesla to build those new factories, invest in new tech, etc. Musk has almost a blank check at this point, whereas the traditional car companies have to actually earn money to buy all that stuff. As a Barron’s article puts it:

“Importantly, the continuing run-up means that [Tesla’s] cost of capital advantage relative to peers continues to widen, which is critical as the company continues to build new factories.” ... The higher the stock goes, the fewer new shares Tesla would have to issue to build a factory, making growth cheaper.”

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-stock-rises-another-problem-for-index-funds-51606330903
Still not as good as that blank check the taxpayers gave GM. Debits wiped clean, shareholders wiped out, Union saved and 50 billion in cash. Free and clear. And 10 years later they are finally getting it together? GM has had it easy.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,442 Posts
R

Still not as good as that blank check the taxpayers gave GM. Debits wiped clean, shareholders wiped out, Union saved and 50 billion in cash. Free and clear. And 10 years later they are finally getting it together? GM has had it easy.
Which shows they should be in an even better place than they are at this point...maybe. As for Tesla, I hope they continue to thrive and further get things together for their own sake as well as their investors. And not pan out to end up being just some more vaporware;) as some would call it out to be.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Which shows they should be in an even better place than they are at this point...maybe. As for Tesla, I hope they continue to thrive and further get things together for their own sake as well as their investors. And not pan out to end up being just some more vaporware;) as some would call it out to be.
Agree 100%. Also GM wouldn’t even be going in this direction if it wasn’t for Elon, all of his ventures are pushing the boundaries, and getting things done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts