GM Inside News Forum banner

Original Saturn Automatic Transmission

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  eurohazard 
#1 ·
Dear GMi colleagues:

My brother keeps insisting that the original Saturn automatic transmission, as used on the SL, SC and SW models, was sourced from Honda.

I don't believe this to be true. My recollection was that it was a unique product supplied by GM's Hydramatic Division, and that it included an unusual, for Hydramatic, spin-on ATF filter.

But I cannot positively refute my brother's claims of Honda parentage. I've googled extensively to no avail, excepting to confirm that a Honda AT was mated to the Honda V6 optional in the first gen Vue.

Any help that you - now paging GMCSonoma - can offer me in clarifying the supplier of the original Saturn automatic will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

#2 ·
I seriously doubt it....and here's why. Honda's engines spun backwards (compared to every other manufacturer) for many years, including vintage Saturn SL, SC, and SW. So I do not see how it's even possible.

#5 ·
the only honda collaboration was the VUE's engine in the latter years of the first generation, in trade for some diesel motors over there. No trannys'

#9 ·
Correct. Oddly, this is the second time I've seen someone say "my Ion has a Toyota transmission". Uh, NO, it's a brand called Aisin...nothing to do with Toyota.

As for the Honda info, only the last gen Vue with the Honda 3.5L also had a Honda transmission--no others.

#11 ·
Correct. Oddly, this is the second time I've seen someone say "my Ion has a Toyota transmission". Uh, NO, it's a brand called Aisin...nothing to do with Toyota.
They have been building Toyota parts for a long time. But you're right, they aren't a part of Toyota.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.