GM Inside News Forum banner

Original Saturn Automatic Transmission

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  eurohazard 
#1 ·
Dear GMi colleagues:

My brother keeps insisting that the original Saturn automatic transmission, as used on the SL, SC and SW models, was sourced from Honda.

I don't believe this to be true. My recollection was that it was a unique product supplied by GM's Hydramatic Division, and that it included an unusual, for Hydramatic, spin-on ATF filter.

But I cannot positively refute my brother's claims of Honda parentage. I've googled extensively to no avail, excepting to confirm that a Honda AT was mated to the Honda V6 optional in the first gen Vue.

Any help that you - now paging GMCSonoma - can offer me in clarifying the supplier of the original Saturn automatic will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

#2 ·
I seriously doubt it....and here's why. Honda's engines spun backwards (compared to every other manufacturer) for many years, including vintage Saturn SL, SC, and SW. So I do not see how it's even possible.

#5 ·
the only honda collaboration was the VUE's engine in the latter years of the first generation, in trade for some diesel motors over there. No trannys'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.