GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I admit that I am a die hard GM and domestic branded fanboy and thats perfectly fine with me.

However, after looking at all the specs and what it has to offer, it looks like a great truck and I'm afraid to admit it, but I think the Titan might actually be a challenge to the lone market we still dominate.

I really hope that most if not all truck buyers remain loyal to the domestic truck base. I know truck guys are the most loyal and I really really hope it stays that way.

My dream would be for the Titan to fail miserably, but Nissan recently upped the production of this vehicle as if they already know it will be a HUGE hit.

:(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am with you 100%. I am a domestic faithful, but the Titan is a cool looking powerful truck with good advertisement. It seems like it should be a player in the market, but for some reason I don't think it will be. Maybe it's because I thought the Tundra would be a major player, but never was. Maybe it's domestic loyalty, maybe it's diverse domestic offerings, but for some reason I just don't think it'll be a major threat. I guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
The only reason the Titan looks like a good performer is because the domestics aren't used to decent competition "not with the Tundra at least" One Engine choice and Suspension choice will not challenge the BIG 3. This pickup is there for profit and to put there name out there, not to pose a challenge the the big three, I still like the Silverado more...

·
Registered
112 Posts
It doesn't look bad, but I give Nissan credit for doing their research. Even their commercials work well. The best one I've seen showed a Titan towing a boat and passing a Dodge Ram :p

They only plan on producing 100k in the first year and have said they expect to steal more Toyota sales than Big 3 sales. I hope the competition turns out better and better trucks.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I too expect it will steal more Toyota sales than domestic.

But the F-150 and Titan combined are a wake up call to GM to at least improve its interiors from the cruddy-cheap looking 90's styling, and not take loyalists for granted.

GM also needs to offer more improvements on its engines. With the HEMI, Nissan's DOHC monster, and Ford's 3-valve offerings, the GM engine lineup looks outdated and old-school by comparison. The hybrid offering will be a nice touch, but they need to make it a standard mainstream choice for this to make any dent on the image of the Silverado and pals. The days when you could up the displacement and horses and call it a day in the engineering basement at GM are gone. Engines are a selling point, and boasting your engine is the latest-greatest is becoming a part of truck commercials.

"Can you say HEMI?"

"Hemi"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been impressed with what i have seen of the titan. I will at least stop by the local nissan dealership for a closer look before I get my new truck next spring.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Looks great 4 guy who wants a pick up 2 drive around like a big silly looking car, but 4 those who need a work truck. Chevy,Ford and Dodge still have the tools needed.
I wonder how a dualie Titan would look anyway? :huh:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The Domestics trucks will retain most of their market share but Nissan will have no trouble sellling out as many as they build.
Yes Toyota will lose as well but trucks are not their core profit center.
Long term the Japanese trucks will be a bigger threat. Look at the history Japan moves into to a market and slowly takes it over. Once upon a time people would have never believed Toyota et all taking so much market share in cars.
How to do it build world class trucks with more options and choice than ever before and have improvements every year.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I just hope that none of the big 3 will sit around for 10-20 years saying "those things will never sell" and keep working on quality and customer wants instead.
I think that truck buyers will stay lolal in the beginning but Nissan or Toyota will not stop improving and cutting into the big 3 sales. So the big 3 can't stop working on their own products!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not much on the looks of it exterior and interior wise. Also after looking at most of the options available for it, such as drivetrain and powertrain, I'll be impressed if it can pull even half of what Nissan claims it can.

To me its just another truck for the avg joe schmoe to ride around and occasionally pic up some bags of potting soil. Just like the tundra, it will not be used widely as a work truck, or have the ability to be used like a work truck like Ford's, Dodges, and GM's lineup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts