GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open Fuel Standard Act Introduced

U.S. Senators Sam Brownback (R-KS), Ken Salazar (D-CO) and Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) today introduced the Open Fuel Standard Act.

The legislation would require that half of all new automobiles starting in 2012 be flex-fuel vehicles warranted to operate on gasoline, ethanol, and methanol, or be warranted to operate on biodiesel. The requirement would be increased to 80 percent by 2015.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Not a bad idea. Now that they can make E85 of by products or trash. It would cost little and could have major changes in the amount of oil we use.

I'm guessing GM, Ford and Chrysler could easily convert.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Easy and cheap for the automakers to meet this standard. If we can get everyones' attention toward cellulostic ethanol rather than corn, it can only help our situation with oil......

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Result = more unnecessary costs passed on to the consumer.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
As a Californian, I resent those damn midwesterns foisting their standards on us real Americans. Who do they think they are!!! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Amen on the cellulosic ethanol point (Sorry Iowa. I'm tired of my tax dollars subsidizing the corn ethanol farce)! According to the USDA, there are over 9 billion tons of usable biomass waste available on a yearly basis which could be converted into ethanol. That's a whole lot of stuff that WON'T be dumped in landfills. This is a win-win situation as long as Uncle Sam doesn't get too far in the middle of it.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amen on the cellulosic ethanol point (Sorry Iowa. I'm tired of my tax dollars subsidizing the corn ethanol farce)!
Don't worry. Not a single one of your tax dollars was paid to any Iowa farmer. The federal government is not paying anyone to make corn ethanol.

Gasoline blended with ethanol is partially exempt from excise taxes. It is like saying that your tax dollars are going to pay people to drink Coca-Cola because the federal government does not impose an excise tax on it. Do you believe that only once the federal government taxes Coca-Cola at the same rate as gasoline will your tax dollars not be subsidizing people's dietary habits?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The obvious purpose of this bill is to drive demand for E85 and other biofuels in order to spur supply (i.e. to incentivize development and production of biofuels). It is relatively inexpensive (I've read here that to make a car e85 capable costs about $100), and could result in a massive increase in the availability of biofuels. That, IMO, is a very good thing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
While I like this approach, I would far rather have seen GM announce they were going to add flex fuel capability rather than another government mandate for it. Some of the same suspects (aka members of Congress) that will mandate action by Detroit will not support drilling, the use of oil shale here in the Mountain West, nor the construction of nuclear powerplants. Every time they want to be seen as being serious on energy issues, they invent another requirement for car makers to meet.
Before Congress lays yet another requirement on the automakers; it should require more retail availability of the alternative fuels. Colorado has a number of incentives that have increased the retail locations with E85. In spite of those efforts, one still has to map their location to use the fuel when traveling.
I'm ready to buy a Kappa when a flex fuel model is available. It'll look nice next to my Cadillac in the garage.
How long will I have to wait?
Cheers,
Ed Arcuri
Drill here, there and everywhere.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm ready to buy a Kappa when a flex fuel model is available. It'll look nice next to my Cadillac in the garage.
How long will I have to wait?
Apparently until Congress mandates flex fuel Kappas. That's how long.

Now if we can get Congress to mandate manual transmissions, we'll be in business.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Establish one gasoline grade and blend, then establish a standard blend and grade for alternate fuels. Also, work with the other Developed Countries (G-7 nations) to establish global standards.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Apparently until Congress mandates flex fuel Kappas. That's how long.

Now if we can get Congress to mandate manual transmissions, we'll be in business.
Bob says manuals are going away, since they are much harder to get to pass emission tests.

And this is definitely good news. GM has already said they are "ready, willing, and able" to convert a majority of their vehicles to flex fuel, so I'm assuming it doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Result = more unnecessary costs passed on to the consumer.
and E85 is killing our crops. It's also not being used to it's full potential. It's like another person said all the waste we are throwing into landfills could make up a considerable amount of biofuel for our comnig vehicle's and it's not. It's people like Al Gore himself who said that this ethanol thing was a mistake in many ways, his pockets were the only thing making business and not the true potential for ethanol. Im not a enviromentalist but i am a thinker.

I like the idea though of it coming to us at little to no cost because

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bob says manuals are going away, since they are much harder to get to pass emission tests.

And this is definitely good news. GM has already said they are "ready, willing, and able" to convert a majority of their vehicles to flex fuel, so I'm assuming it doesn't cost much.
really havent heard that one but it does make sense to a certain degree.

·
Registered
142 Posts
uhh.. how about mandating that there be more e85/ biodiesel pumps out there? this legislation is ridiculous! Automakers will build more flex fuel vehilces as customers demand more.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
uhh.. how about mandating that there be more e85/ biodiesel pumps out there? this legislation is ridiculous! Automakers will build more flex fuel vehilces as customers demand more.
How can they demand more if there are no (or very few) flex fuel vehicles that use E85? It is impossible for people to demand E85 if their vehicles don't use it.

This is no different than when Congress mandated cars be compatible with unleaded fuel. At the time of that mandate, there were not any unleaded pumps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts