GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Opel announced the company will launch a European version of the Volt plug-in electric car in 2011. The Chevrolet variant will appear three to six months later in European markets.

"Opel will have a version of the Volt that will look more like an Opel. It will be a close sister to the Chevrolet Volt," said a GM source.

GM wants Opel/Vauxhall to be seen as a technologically advanced brand in Europe and for this reason the brand will launch the E-Flex electric vehicle architecture seen in the Volt ahead of Chevrolet.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/-opel-version-of-volt-coming-in-2011-ar63899.html

·
Registered
697 Posts
If Opel gets a version of the Chevy Volt, then Saturn will get a rebadged Opel Volt and the Chevy and Saturn will invariably collide in a horrific accident at some point in the future on these American roads which will undoubtedly tear a hole in the fabric of space-time as two alternate reality versions of the same invidual paradoxically occupy the same specific point in the nexus, not to mention T-shaped Lithium-Ion Battteries fusing into I-shaped Lithium-Ion Neural Death Emmiters marking the end of rebadges and reality as we know it.

Sleep on that.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I LOVE the Flextreme concept, minus the split rear window and the hidden Segways.....I hope they don't tone down the front but bet they will since they dropped the "fangs" from the Insignia concept. I really hope that E-Flex is all they intended and more and spreads across the whole GM line up...could be a new "Model T" and largely reinvent the modern auto. Plus just imagine what E-Flex could evolve into over 10-20 years!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Sleep on that.
The Volt is not just a new model, it is the first implementation of a revolutionary new propulsion system. GM sells more than one model car powered by an ICE. It is expected to sell more than one model powered by the propulsion system in the Volt. As Opel is GM's major brand inn Europe, you can expect Opel to build plug-in hybrids using this system. You can expect similar models from Suzuki, Daewoo, and Holden as well as from GM's other North American brands. The more plug-in hybrids we can get on the road where ever they can be put on the road, the better.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
If Opel gets a version of the Chevy Volt, then Saturn will get a rebadged Opel Volt and the Chevy and Saturn will invariably collide in a horrific accident at some point in the future on these American roads which will undoubtedly tear a hole in the fabric of space-time as two alternate reality versions of the same invidual paradoxically occupy the same specific point in the nexus, not to mention T-shaped Lithium-Ion Battteries fusing into I-shaped Lithium-Ion Neural Death Emmiters marking the end of rebadges and reality as we know it.
I was thinking the exact same thing!
OK, no I wasn't... but its a great prediction.

I thought the opel brand was being mixed in with saturn.
I'm curious as to why they are now mixing in chevy with the opel image.
'Cause they can't help themselves... they're rebadge junkies. I think the real question is if they feel an Opel version of the Volt is warranted (which makes sense) why do they need to sell a Chevy version in the same market? And does that imply there will be a Saturn version of the Opel Volt? And if not its because Cadillac or some other GM division is getting a version instead and this further demonstrates brand management stinks...globally. And did they teach me not to being a sentence with "and"?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
If the Opel and the Chevy Volt are both running the same e-Flex architecture and have similar performance numbers and dimensions why would GM offer both the Opel and Volt for sale in Europe at roughly the same time?

They likely will have different body designs but if the overall dimensions (interior space, trunk space, etc.) and performance (electric range, 0-60 times) are not vastly different why bother?

Shouldn't they focus on selling an Opel e-flex in Europe and a Chevy e-flex in NA? Keep the Volt here for NA consumption.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You can expect similar models from Suzuki, Daewoo, and Holden as well as from GM's other North American brands. The more plug-in hybrids we can get on the road where ever they can be put on the road, the better.
Maybe GM should create a new brand for e-Flex. Heck why not one new brand for each market that would share platforms and components with each other. Oh wait, they already have that. OK, scrap Chev, Ponticrap, Saturn, GMC, Buick, Hummer, Saab, Opel, Daewoo, Holden and Cadillac and replace them with the new set of brands.

Geez, this would be easier if GM had one brand. Let's just call it GMW (Global Motor Works).

·
Registered
804 Posts

Sleep on that.
:lmao:

Oooh - I like that - Saturn's version could then be called the LHC because of its potential to also create microscopic black holes...

I think the end of the universe is a small price to pay for "the end of rebadges". But Stephen Hawking says that it's far more likely that the colliding Chevy Volt and "Saturn LHC" , at impact, would be transported via wormhole to a place near the France Switzerland border, only now they'd be headed in opposite directions, made of antimatter, and traveling faster than the speed of light. :confused:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'd buy the Saturn version if it looks like the Flextreme Concept. The Volt's nice, but for some reason this one looks more complete.
I like the monocab designs of the upcoming Next Gen Astra , Meriva, and Flex-treme.

I only hope Saturn does not get a "Body by Chevy" rebadge. If Saturn sells the Flex-treme variant in the US, then I would buy the Saturn.

My Take:

VOLT: Is for people who do not want to look like they're trying to dock with the International Space Station.

Saturn Flex: For those who want to feel like "George Jetson"......

Ken

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
quote:Originally Posted by blaksabb
If Opel gets a version of the Chevy Volt, then Saturn will get a rebadged Opel Volt and the Chevy and Saturn will invariably collide in a horrific accident at some point in the future on these American roads which will undoubtedly tear a hole in the fabric of space-time as two alternate reality versions of the same invidual paradoxically occupy the same specific point in the nexus, not to mention T-shaped Lithium-Ion Battteries fusing into I-shaped Lithium-Ion Neural Death Emmiters marking the end of rebadges and reality as we know it. quote

I bet if we all tuck a dilithium crystal beneath our aluminum foil hats we and the known Universe will emerge intact.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Sleep on that.
Please, watch less Sci-fi. Please.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the Opel and the Chevy Volt are both running the same e-Flex architecture and have similar performance numbers and dimensions why would GM offer both the Opel and Volt for sale in Europe at roughly the same time?

They likely will have different body designs but if the overall dimensions (interior space, trunk space, etc.) and performance (electric range, 0-60 times) are not vastly different why bother?

Shouldn't they focus on selling an Opel e-flex in Europe and a Chevy e-flex in NA? Keep the Volt here for NA consumption.
Because Opel/Vauxhall are considered European products. and just like the current generation of car buying Americans there is still a negative feeling towards American products... but selling one as a Chevrolet will let them enter the market at 2 diffrent price points.

you have to remember to the Germans Opel is no diffrent then BMW or Mercedes.. it's a domestic product to them.

and once we apply the economies of scale if you can sell more volts and stamp out more body panels, ramp up battery production, you can afford to sell them to everyone cheaper, EVERYONE!!!

The K car is a perfect example of this.. sell the same chassis under 10 names and sell 1,000,000 of them a year and you'll be able to build them very cheaply and make money.

They were junk, but I challenge anyone reading this over the age of 30 to tell me they did not know SOMEONE with a K-car.

'saved Chrysler the first go-round, remember the first minivan was a K Chassis..

Look at how many people bought the Cadillac version of the Tahoe/Burban, was it any better? Nope.. did it hold more resale value, Nope.. tow more? no. but when SUV's were popular people were buying them in droves and paying a premium because their favorite rapper had a song about one, or they were better at impressing the neighbors.

but your cowboy hat wearing, Salt of the earth American with a horse trailer and 3 kids would not be caught dead in one. so you HAVE to sell both versions. or Gm would have lost quite a few sales to ford.

I once heard a story of a man going into a store. He looked on the shelf at a Pot, the price was $2 later on he found another pot in the same store for $200. He Kindly asked the shop keeper, "Sir I noticed you have these two identical pots for sale for much diffrent prices, what's the difference" The shop keeper replied.. "The difference is, Some People like to brag they got a pot for $2, others like to brag they have a $200 pot"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts