1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GERMANY: Opel to develop all mid-size General Motors vehicles
01 Jun 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Germany's Adam Opel will in future develop all of parent General Motors' mid-sized vehicles, Opel's chief executive was quoted as saying.

Full article here:

Just-Auto.com

Ken

*edit* 06/02/04 - Unfortunately Just Auto has removed the main body of this article. Sorry for this problem. - Ken

·
Registered
225 Posts
.......wait wait..... one guy? to design all of gms mid size cars? its officall GM wants to go out of bussines....

Their cars allready share the same platform across 3-4 brands, lets make them all be made by the same guy now too....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
:lol: this thread was discussed before...

·
Registered
118 Posts
akumaknight.......wait wait..... one guy? to design all of gms mid size cars? its officall GM wants to go out of bussines.... Their cars allready share the same platform across 3-4 brands said:
Please tell me your kidding... being the Internet I have to ask.

·
Registered
790 Posts
well, if the cars are only the the single segment of midsize, grand am/impala/centery i say go for it, i see opel sadans on the net (and when i travel) and then i think to my self, "we're getting screwed". opel is a very nice company, it gets rewards all over europe and the cars seem to be well built at a good price, reliable, and very good looking inside and out.

now if they try and take on the monte carlo/boniville/malibu/9-5/9-3 then i think we might see a problem...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i love that people are worried already! how's about we wait and see what kinda cars opel can spin off for GM. i guess it's reasonable to assume that GM'll muck this up (aka the CSV's and the saablazer deal), but the 9-3/malibu/G6 show what a little global co-operation can manage. three very different autos. overlapping, but different target audiences.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The article lacks detail...
If anything they might be talking about future epsilon-like platforms etc (and all the shared components for each platform) Not about the actual design of each model...

By the way... to the previous posters... Adam Opel is the full name of "Opel", it is not a particular GM employee.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
opel can make great cars:
the new malibu platform is great;
the old opel omega was a grat car for its time (caddy catera, monaro, etc).
in the small-medium class it's hard to find better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Relax, its all in the name of efficiency. First off Opel and GM are one company now. Lutz is runnig Opel for a while and shaking the boat already. Why design two very similar cars with same platforms and drivetrains in two different countries when it can all be done in one location? The main decisions are still made by the same people. Opel won't have free rein. Did you know the new Colarado was designed mostly by Isuzu? Its globalization. The next generation of RWD mid-size cars including Grand Prix, Monte Carlo and maybe Camero are being designed mainly by Holden.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
GM had decades to produce a truly class leading mid-size passenger sedan.

The result?

Toyota and Honda took the lead.

I say yes to more Opel design - the reviews have been positive so far at least on the Malibu's platform, if not the all gray/brown interior done by Detroit.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Works for me. I like a lot of the Opel cars, and I hope that Opel has a HUGE hand into the Epsilon Saturn car, and the rest of it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by troppo loungo@Jun 2 2004, 03:53 PM
Relax, its all in the name of efficiency. First off Opel and GM are one company now. Lutz is runnig Opel for a while and shaking the boat already. Why design two very similar cars with same platforms and drivetrains in two different countries when it can all be done in one location? The main decisions are still made by the same people. Opel won't have free rein. Did you know the new Colarado was designed mostly by Isuzu? Its globalization. The next generation of RWD mid-size cars including Grand Prix, Monte Carlo and maybe Camero are being designed mainly by Holden.
the Chassis was designed by Izuzu, not the truck itself.
Zeta chassis was designed by Holden, not the car itself.

and its CAMARO

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
beat me to it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts