GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Since we’re still a few months away from the Insignia’s debut that will take place at the London Motor Show on July 2, Opel decided to give us a second set of teaser shots following an initial picture of the car’s tail-lamp that was released last November. The Insignia will replace the Vectra in Europe while it’s speculated that the mid-size sedan will most possibly succeed the Saturn Aura in the U.S.

Along with the darkened front-end, GM’s German subsidiary published a few shots of the Insignia’s headlights that feature Opel’s new generation AFL technology that automatically adjusts headlamp beam distribution to the prevailing road profile and visibility conditions. The AFL headlamps, which will make their debut on the Insignia, also boast innovations such as LED daytime running lamps as standard, which require considerably less electricity, and therefore, less fuel. –Click through for details and more images
Lots more detailed information on the lighting and plenty of images at CarScoop:

*Note: For those still unaware, the Insignia will also be sold as the next gen Saturn Aura.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I'm glad they aren't using light pipes per say, same idea but different execution. I don't think it will give off the same vibrant and crisp look of the light pipes used by the CTS and Saab 9-3.

Whats scary is that the CGI picture could almost pass as highly detailed Camry lights.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
That's hot. :cool:

·
Registered
840 Posts
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125154

Here's an interesting little tidbit:

A companion to the Insignia also is expected to be produced in North America for Saturn in 2009 as a replacement for the Aura.

Both models will share GM's revised Epsilon-2 front-wheel-drive platform. In Europe, the Insignia will be marketed as a sedan, a hatchback and a wagon, but only an Aura sedan is likely to be produced in the States.

The 2010 Aura also is expected to use GM's next-generation hybrid system, announced earlier this month at the Geneva show.
I was under the impression that the new aura wasn't coming until 2010 or 2011... Are they pulling up the new "vectra/insignia" early because of slightly sluggish sales?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Man, these sound super-fancy. I agree with minnfang, when it needs to be replaced, people will be paying out of the arse.

One thing that I am finding interesting, is that even though you hear about little things like adaptive headlights (cornering etc.) I don't believe that I have heard of any company offering headlights that are so complex, or at least they aren't touting them like Opel.

I do hope that the US doesn't wind up with some sort of cheap reflector housing for saturn. It would be nice for them to wind up with the headlights that were originally designed for the vehicle.

Beautiful headlights though.

-Chase

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Wouldn't this be for the Aura??
Yes it would be for the Aura, since even though all these cars share a platform, the Malibu's design is to fit in with Chevy's new grille, while Saturn is becoming the North American arm of Opel, and thus the Insignia would share headlights with the next gen Aura

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm sure we in the US wont see those lights on any Aura, we'll get halogen reflectors. Hopefully I'm wrong though, that is a nice looking housing.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Wouldn't this be for the Aura??
Yes, but no one was bitching about the Auras headlights when it was released....well there probably was some bitching:D but nothing like the release of the Malibu.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
As a current Aura driver, I would love this as the next Aura. This car has soo much potential to be sport inspired, but it just doesn't look the part.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As a current Aura driver, I would love this as the next Aura. This car has soo much potential to be sport inspired, but it just doesn't look the part.
Optional awd helps with that as does more engine options

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Yes, but no one was bitching about the Auras headlights when it was released....well there probably was some bitching:D but nothing like the release of the Malibu.
I didn't hear complaints about the Malibu headlights. What were the complaints? My complaint about the Aura headlights was the amber over top the headlight looked like the old Chryslers and made it looks very drowsy

I noticed your smiley so I let it slide, but I thought you were making a shot at the Aura looking too much like the Malibu and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I didn't hear complaints about the Malibu headlights. What were the complaints? My complaint about the Aura headlights was the amber over top the headlight looked like the old Chryslers and made it looks very drowsy

I noticed your smiley so I let it slide, but I thought you were making a shot at the Aura looking too much like the Malibu and vice versa.
They are both great vehicles and ver gorgeous, least I think they look better then the Saab, though I wish the Aura and Bu had awd (though it is coming in the next version)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts