GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/04/first-official-shots-of-opel-insignia-interior-released/

GM Press Release:
PRESS RELEASE:
PREMIUM FEEL AND STUNNING DESIGN DEFINE NEW INSIGNIA'S INTERIOR
  • First official shots of new Insignia's interior
  • Chronometer-inspired instruments
  • Use of high quality fabrics and materials
These are the very first official shots of the soon-to-be-launched Insignia's interior, showing the immense attention to detail Vauxhall's designers have lavished on the car's cabin. Highlights include chronometer-inspired instruments, use of high-quality fabrics and materials, and a unique instrument lighting system.

First impression is of Insignia's bold, wrap around interior, dominated by the signature 'wing' that flows from the front instrument panel and dives into the door panels. The surfaces from the exterior's 'blade' feature are echoed in the shape of the interior grab handle, where the bright accent material sweeps dramatically into the door armrest.

The cabin's interior lighting gives Insignia a unique night-time appearance. Vauxhall's designers have added a warm amber-coloured ambient light to enhance the night driving environment. The instrument cluster is illuminated white, but on pressing the 'Sport' button, the lighting turns red to match the surrounding illumination.

"This is a paradigm shift for Vauxhall," says John Puskar, Executive Director of Interior Design at GM Europe. "We wanted to create interior environments for all our future vehicles that are warm, inviting and sporty. The Insignia is the first evidence of this philosophy."

Cabin practicality will also raise the bar in Insignia's market sector. The centre console offers flexibility and intelligent design solutions, such as a space-liberating e-brake and separate multi-function control on certain models. Both the steering wheel and front seats have a huge range of adjustability to suit all shapes and sizes, while adjustable armrests, ergonomically placed controls, a multi-use storage box and MP3 connectivity will reinforce Insignia's appeal to private and business drivers.

"Every detail was meticulously thought through," says Jochen Werner, Insignia's Assistant Chief Interior Designer. "We even tipped the infotainment centre at a 30 degree angle to allow the centre console to flow and give the car's cabin a greater feeling of spaciousness."

Many of Insignia's interior design features will provide the DNA for future Vauxhall designs. Variations on sculptural artistry – the wing, flowing sculptural forms and a sporty dynamic environment – will be used moving forward, as Vauxhall refines and evolves its new-found design language.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am not a fan of buttons. Vehicles like the new Accord, Pilot, Escape, 09 F150, and this new Insignia have far, far too many buttons covering their dashes. The buttons don't look attractive, especially when they are black or grey and just cover everything. I like the Malibu's design because it kept the buttons to a minimum and emphasized the design.

Why is simple yet elegant so hard to do? And can we get some more interior colors than dark grey and darker grey?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The first thing that popped into my mind was the China Buick Invicta's interior. It's not a bad thing, it's a really nice interior, but just, yeah.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Holy Buttons, Batman!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I noticed all the buttons right away as well (which I don't like) but after looking at them a little more it appears they may be divided up enough and organized properly to not be a problem. A better look would be nice.

I really like the look of this car inside and out. I wonder how many changes there will be to the Aura? Hopefully very few. Think we'll get that manual trans? Probably not.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Frack, that thing looks good. The steering wheel, the instrument cluster, the doors, the center stack - it all looks awesome. This interior looks better than anything in the $20-$28k price range in the US. I hope they get the new Aura here ASAP.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I am not a fan of buttons. Vehicles like the new Accord, Pilot, Escape, 09 F150, and this new Insignia have far, far too many buttons covering their dashes. The buttons don't look attractive, especially when they are black or grey and just cover everything. I like the Malibu's design because it kept the buttons to a minimum and emphasized the design.
I agree 100%. I hope the industry is not moving toward the "gee-whiz, look at all my buttons" interior anymore. The BIGGEST problem I have with the new Accord is just that fact.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Didn't we see this already?

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
Is that Nav. I see?!?!?!?
:bounce::dro::dro: :clap::clap:
Yeah... GM will find a way for it to not make it into the Aura.... :rolleyes:
(I'm only half joking.)

Very BMW-like seats and center armrest. Electric parking brake. Nice design aesthetic.

Yup. This is good. Very good.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Actually, the buttons look really well placed. And if you look closely, the buttons on the left side of the center stack are actually just big. So there really isn't a lot of them.

Didn't we see this already?
Did we? I don't know, Autoblog can be a little laggy when it comes to news. I just saw it on my RSS feed and posted it.
Sorry if it's a repost.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I agree 100%. I hope the industry is not moving toward the "gee-whiz, look at all my buttons" interior anymore. The BIGGEST problem I have with the new Accord is just that fact.
With more and more features becoming available, you need access to everything or else you end up with iDrive. As long as everything is labeled clearly and well laid out, buttons can work.

Where the Accord fails is the obnoxiously large nipple for a volume knob.

5,934 Posts
I like it. Bring it over as-is.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Please let it be the next Saturn Aura, but with less buttons of course :D

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
Please let it be the next Saturn Aura, but with less buttons of course :D
I disagree.
it need to be exactly like this. Buttons and all.

Saturn isn't meant to cater to "american" sensibilities. It's meat to cater to European sensibilities. Let Malibu deal with the american crowd. Let Aura compete with the Europeans.
That lessens the overlap between the two.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts