11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a no brainer
May 17th, 2015
by MonaroSS

Why no Firebird or Trans Am?

Seriously....

Why no Firebird?

I can understand why no Firebird with the Gen5 Camaro because GM had closed down the Pontiac Division and rid itself of the Pontiac Dealer network. To suddenly announce a new "Pontiac Firebird by Buick" to be sold out of the Buick/GMC Dealer network would have been too raw and contentious.

But time heals all wounds or at least lets them scab-over.

Now there are some compelling reasons why GM should revive the Pontiac Firebird...

1. If there were a pent up demand for Camaro when Gen5 was released then that is doubly so for a Pontiac Firebird.

2. Buick/GMC Dealers have no sports car to attract a broader range of customer and round out their offerings.

3. The New Gen6, while a fine looking car with all new details, has for some - perhaps many - too much familiarity to the Gen5. It is understandable why GM played it safe with a winning formula. But a good measure of potential customers will be put off because it's not different enough - and a much more unique Pontiac Firebird can be the alternative to attract those customers rather than let them wander over to their Ford dealer. The Gen6 will age faster than the Gen5 because the look is already 10 years old - which some will love - but others who get bored of it would have the Firebird to entice them.

4. In staying the course with the look of the Gen5, and it's gun slit windows, there is another set of customers who feel the windows are too restrictive and the interior ambiance is too claustrophobic. A Firebird allows GM a second bite of the cherry by using unique doors and door windows as shown here that are a few inches larger and thus more airy, as well as giving the Firebird a more distinct identity.

GM does not have to restart the Pontiac Division or the Pontiac Dealer network. Just slap a "Pontiac Firebird by Buick" badge on it and sell it out of Buick/GMC Dealers. Good to Go. If those wanting a new Firebird won't go buy one from a Buick Dealer then they don't really want one...

Pontiac Firebird by Buick would command a premium and could be like GMC to Chevy Trucks and SUV's and like Escalade
to Chevy - a premium product that has had most of it's development paid for by Chevrolet and thus its sales would be like
printing money for GM.

Put in a premium leather interior and extra content. Drop the base 2.0T and use the V6 as base. Offer the 2.0T Hybrid
powertrain from CT6 and the ATS-V's TTV6, and top out the engine lineup with one of GM's HiPo V8's.

With a longer, narrower and lower nose the Firebird would be more aerodynamic than Camaro and thus might do well in Hybrid form as a promotion of GM tech for both fuel economy and sports fun. An all electric or Voltec version could be interesting as well.

What do you think, tell us and come back to comment on what others thought as well...

;)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Re: OpEd Why no Firebird?

MonaroSS,

I can see this as well as "OPEL by Buick" making a comeback for limited edition models
brought over from Europe without having to start another division in NA.

Sold and serviced by a Buick dealer. What a concept.....

Ken

·
Registered
5,972 Posts

I like the concept of reviving niche models as brands by other brands, but only if they can be done profitably and with adequate differentiation.
I've always been of the opinion that after a suitable amount of time has passed since they deep six'd Pontiac that GM should use the name for a series of limited edition models. Only one model would be on sale at any given moment and once it's limited run, 2-4 years is done it would get replaced with a new model. Firebird, Grand Prix/AM coupe, BONNEVILLE SEDAN ( M5/AMG competitor) and as suggested by MonaroSS sell them through GMC dealers.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

I could accept this.

·
Registered
141 Posts

This is a really good chop - and it could work since the only exterior changes would be the front and rear clips, headlights, tail lights etc... Interior would need more changes to make it look and feel more Pontiac rather than Chevy but...

A high-power model with a tight suspension steering package - badged as a Trans Am would definitely sell.

The idea of rotating a unique limited edition model every 4-5 years might be good too. I could see a short run GTO or even a Grand Prix (real Grand Prix, not a four-door sedan).

·
Registered
2,882 Posts

Sure, why not? I'd like to see a few Pontiacs in BG dealerships, but there are a couple of big problems doing this. Firstly, GM is in need of crossovers, not sports coupes and secondly, the Firebird would compete against the Camaro. The market for sports coupes is small, pretty much monopolized by the Camaro and Mustang; if you add Firebird, it dilutes the Camaro and adds additional expenses.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

I don't buy the "Pontiac by Buick" tack. Poncho is crossed off the list.

But would be fascinating to see a Buick "f body"

Why not make a Riviera F body? Could be distinguished by using all turbo engines. Just change the front and rear fascias and use different wheels.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts

I'm on the fence on this. A bit of thought experiment: how would you feel about this if it wasn't a Pontiac? Or a Firebird, for that matter? What if it was just a sporty coupe to be sold through Buick/GMC stores? For me, at that point, a lot of my initial objections float away.

I like Pontiacs and Firebirds. To me, this is a Camaro with a split nose. It isn't really a Firebird and it isn't a Pontiac, at least not in the traditional sense. There is something inauthentic about the whole exercise that makes me wonder if it could backfire, Chevy SSR-style.

I do feel differently about it if GM created a specialty subbrand for cars like this. Call it GM Heritage (GM-H) and do limited runs of heritage-themed cars. Take this one a little farther and offer heritage colors and interior seat patterns and such. Much lime VW has done with special editions of the Beetle. Maybe as a GM-H Firebird, I could get behind it.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Just let the dead stay dead.

This could never happen. Remember the copywrites went with everything else.

The current owners would sue in a heartbeat.
Last I knew, GM actually retained the rights to the Pontiac brand name. Others wished to purchase it but GM still makes $ selling Pontiac shirts, models, signs, parts, etc, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts

Lately there seems to be a brewing ground swell of interest in reviving Pontiac on this site and others. To be honest, I know it will never happen. GM will never answer the call that Dodge seems to be doing so well (Affordable RWD/AWD Performance for the masses). I'd put a deposit down tomorrow if I knew I could get a Firebird. I love the chop. I guess Trans Am Depot will be getting my money and not GM... at least not directly or as profitably.

·
Registered
20,746 Posts

Looks beautiful, better than the Camaro! Though I don't think Buick or GMC needs a sports car, a true sport car or muscle car doesn't fit with either make.

Though it would be kind of neat if GM did make a boutique brand with very limited showrooms and models to make some high dollar modern Firebirds like this and other retired names and brands from the past. These cars would be all about style and exclusivity and for many less about power and handling.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.