·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cadillac's CT6
October 2nd, 2014
by MonaroSS

This is 90% what CT6 will be

Credit goes to member dslay04 for pointing out the CAD drawing in the strategic plan thread that shows the CT6 body panels. Great catch!

As can be seen with the partial CAD overlay below - the render is a perfect copy of the CAD body and I just filled in the missing bits like glass, wheels. lower sill and rear bumper skin from the camo car photos. The only area of speculation is the front clip

So we got lucky and with that I could combine those accurate panels with the spy pics we have already seen to create these renders, which from the headlights back I am confident are 98% accurate.

Because the CAD drawing did not have the front clip I have had to guesstimate at what the grille, headlights and lower front clip may look like. But the upper part of the lights is shown so only the lower sections are unknown, and from some of the head on spy pics that show uncovered grille areas (see below) we can see it is wide and shallow. So I used the Elmiraj grille and as the panel cutout for the upper portion of the headlights looks very CTS I have used those headlights and made them fit the panels in one version and in the other did a variation on the Elmiraj/Ciel headlights.

So what do we get? We have a conservative large car that has elegant proportions and will likely have extremely well styled details, as recent Cadillac's have, and thus look even better up close. I like it, what say you?

1, 2, 3… go for it.

;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Overall I like it. I know you said the grill was more of an estimation given what you had to work with, but I think that could use some improvement. It's too wide and not quite tall enough. Its hard for me to describe, but it almost looks too narrow. Otherwise, awesome!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
First look i thought its a KIA.

The problem Cadillac is on design side, the Korian twins took premium design to mass cars. Now all premium brands need to find a new design to differentiate.
That's it. When I saw the grill, my first thought was Kia

Reactions: bronx13

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job, but why is sitting so low to the ground, i.e. "slammed"?
The car in the spy pic it's based on was turning the corner pretty hard and leaning a bit - then I added low profile tires on top of that... I thought I'd leave it, as it shows it cornering hard and that's exactly what this baby is meant to be able to do... :D

;)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Great work. But I'm underwhelmed if that is the CT6. Now I understand why GM came out very fast and forcibly stated that this is not a 7 series, S class etc. competitor.......No kidding....

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I hope to Christ it doesn't become a "Zeta max" wedge like that.

The whole idea of the Ciel and Elmiraj concepts - is the rear bulkhead is no higher than the cowl.

All that pdf paper we saw yesterday said is "Premium Sedan" - not a slam dunk at all.

Even the spy shots seem closer to the concept than this pdf screen cap

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
^^^ Let me share some undeniable proof that your eyes are being deceived. Below you think that IVER camo car is not a wedge shape but the lower window line is relatively flat and the hood and trunk are similar heights. Wrong.

Look at the red lines, they show the true perspective, and the wheels prove that all three red lines a parallel to each other. The blue line is the lower side window line which is quite wedge angled. Just so we are on the same page. The wheels are the same size front and rear. The bottom of both those wheels are parallel to the ground as are the tops of those wheels - so we know the two lower red lines are parallel to the ground. Then I took the same wheels and stacked them so the tops of the wheels stacks are also parallel to the ground.

Now look at how the underside of the top red line meets the bottom of the rear door window. Now look how high above that red line is above the hood. Only a wedge shape can produce that height difference. You can't beat using wheels to measure pictures...

Overall I like it. I know you said the grill was more of an estimation given what you had to work with, but I think that could use some improvement. It's too wide and not quite tall enough. Its hard for me to describe, but it almost looks too narrow. Otherwise, awesome!!
In sizing the grille as I did I was thinking of three things...

1. This is meant to be a big wide car and I think they will try to make a statement with that - and people have said the new front design language with verticle lights makes the Caddy's look narrower than say BMW's.

2. Word is that it doesn't look like CTS in front and making the grille narrower and deeper would make it look very CTS.

3. I looked at the flow of the hood lines and where they seemed to indicate the width of the grille would be. I also compared them to Elmiraj hood lines and it all pointed to a wider grille. We will have to see...

;)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I expect to see jewel-like detailing that will bring this conservative design to life. Has promise. I think a deeper grille would make a real difference also.
Need render in a couple darker colors. White pics tend to wash out body surfacing and chrome accents.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Meh...I'm underwhelmed, too!

Cars - especially LUXURY cars with a 6 side-window treatment tend to look a bit...'ow you saaaayy...CHEAP!

The wheelbase looks like it should be a bit longer with the extra window actually being incorporated into the doorframe with a couple of extra inches being added to the front of the cabin and doors! Then again, GM said it's NOT a 7-Series and S-Class competitor! With the XT being applied to the SUVs, Escalade notwithstanding, it seems more of a RWD version of the XTS!

This is NOT an indictment of MonaroSS' skills! I truly LOVE MonaroSS' renderings; I'm just MEH about the CT6 at this point! However, a KNOCKOUT interior would balance things, however, IMHO!

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,684 Posts
Overall, it looks real good/close. :)

Though from earlier spy pictures, it appears that the lower bumper is going to be closer to the Elmiraj.

I'm also thinking narrower headlights than the CTS.

It appears that the up-sweep character line, end hood vents from the Elmiraj will be there too.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Well Damn, that's nice. I really hope Chevy, and Buick gets a version. A new Caprice, and Roadmaster would be loved by the masses!

Reactions: Jesda

·
Registered
153 Posts
This begs the question, just what details from the Ciel or Elmiraj are you wanting to see in the CT6?

For me, I would love to see the headlights from the Elmiraj. I just don't think doing a simple HID projector lamp will satisfy my desires for this car and it's overall look. Another detail that I would love to see is the metal band that flows from under the grill, and up along the edges of the hood back to the A pillar. And please, let there be the hood vents.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Cadillac's CT6
October 2nd, 2014
by MonaroSS

This is 90% what CT6 will be

Credit goes to member dslay04 for pointing out the CAD drawing in the strategic plan thread that shows the CT6 body panels. Great catch!

We got lucky and with that I could combine accurate panels with the spy pics we have already seen to create these renders which from the headlights back I am confident are 98% accurate. Because the CAD drawing did not have the front clip I have had to guess at what the grille, headlights and lower front clip may look like. I used the Elmiraj grille and as the panel cutout for the headlights looks very CTS I have used those headlights and made them fit the panels.

So what do we get, We have a conservative large car that has elegant proportions and will likely have extremely well styled details, as recent Cadillac's have, and thus look even better up close. I like it, what say you?

1, 2, 3… go for it.

;)
See what happens when they gave us an inch.....

Bravo

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't think the proportions are correct in the rendering. The front end should be longer and the stature of the car should be more grand(er) 'CTS'.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts