Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My take on the Cadillac CT6
January 8th, 2015
by MonaroSS

Caddy CT6
Rolling Past in the Street?

So we are getting close to seeing it this year. What will it look like? We don't yet know, but we do know a lot. We actually know it's basic shape and features from the body-in-white CAD drawing GM released and which I previously did a chop from. We also know from camo cars it will have a shallow but wide grille more like Elmiraj.

But that chop I did previously was devoid of the character and features only a polished dark color can really bring to life. I believe this is getting close...

What do you think, tell us and come back to comment on what others thought as well...

Here is a comparison of CT6 to XTS had it been built on RWD Zeta as the DT7

;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Some more pictures of the front and back would be nice. It looks pretty good for the most part, I don't know about the firewall or the front quarter panel in general though. It just looks like it's too tall and high off the ground. Is that because you used the body of the xts as a base?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the current CTS. However, if this is what the CT6 will look like, I will be disappointed. Cadillac should have taken it a bit farther...bolder, more risk. IMHO the competition's designs are, for the most part, just as "safe". The only cars I find appealing from MB are the S-Class coupe and SL-class roadster; BMW, maybe the 6; Audi, the R8. I detest the 4-door coupes (especially the R7), and their sedans are generic. BTW, great work as usual, Monaro!

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Feel like the rear part of the hood is too high.
Obviously thee are compromises in using a base car for the chop, in this case XTS. I think that the lower window line on XTS is a little lower than on CT6 so it makes the hood a little higher in relation to the lower window line on the CAD drawing, but not higher than in relation to the rest of the car. It would have been too time consuming to alter the XTS lower window line. And afterall it's the overall impression that is what we are interested in.

BTW, I hope for the fender vent for a bit of design flair, but I'm not hopeful it will make an appearance...

;)

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some more pictures of the front and back would be nice. It looks pretty good for the most part, I don't know about the firewall or the front quarter panel in general though. It just looks like it's too tall and high off the ground. Is that because you used the body of the xts as a base?
Yes but I lowered the XTS hood line. You can't go too low these days with new pedestrian impact laws requiring more space between the hood and engine. So low hoods are not easy to do anymore...

;)

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
With Cadihack imploding, something has to be done with the styling (or lack thereof).

Quite simply, the Arts and Scientology (!) design philosophy is moribund.

Cadihack needs something svelte, light, and youthful - the thick-bodied, ghetto front end look has to go. This fixation on rear wheel drive has failed - it is robbing the interior of room and the thick-body design is making the already cramped interiors feel even more cramped.

It is time to do something different. Doing more of the same is going to fail.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Now THAT is one MIGHTY FINE photochop!

Surprisingly, though, even though the chop is based on the XTS, the FIRST thing I saw in it was vague shades of the Chevrolet PPV/Holden Caprice or the Chinese-market Buick Park Avenue modernized and squared-up with Cadillac visual cues! Nothing WRONG with that, BTW, as I would LOVE to see this Omega platform extended to the other car divisions!

Anyhoo...give us MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
My take on the Cadillac CT6
January 8th, 2015
by MonaroSS

Caddy CT6
Rolling Past in the Street?

So we are getting close to seeing it this year. What will it look like? We don't yet know, but we do know a lot. We actually know it's basic shape and features from the body-in-white CAD drawing GM released and which I previously did a chop from. We also know from camo cars it will have a shallow but wide grille more like Elmiraj.

But that chop I did previously was devoid of the character and features only a polished dark color can really bring to life. If it has a fender vent then this above is, I believe, getting close...

What do you think, tell us and come back to comment on what others thought as well...

;)

I would not be so sure about that...

In fact, the height of the grill is the only point on which I disagree with his chop:

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
While I think this is very likely a reasonably accurate representation of the car, it leaves me a bit cold. It looses some of the taut athleticism from the smaller ATS and CTS. That said, the subtle details that are almost impossible to anticipate can make a huge difference in what the end result actually looks like in the flesh. In an age of speculative renders, it must make the actual designers crazy to see so many 'close but not quite' representations of their work floating around pre-launch! I bet you someone at GM is just dying to provide some guidance right now!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts